HGTV’s list of “Ways to add value to your house”.
Last night I watched HGTV’s show on the top 20 ways to add value to your house. (I love watching the shows on that station! ) Here is the list:
20) Home Office Remodel – Make it functional for everyone in the house.
19) Add a Sunroom – It adds value and light to the house and a room for guests.
18) Create or Renovate a Master Suite – work within the footprints of you house.
17) Renovate or add a family room.- open floor plan is preferred.
16) Get a new roof.- If your roof is showing it’s age, it’s time for a new one.
15) Landscape your yard – curb appeal.
14) Major Kitchen Remodel – Size matters. Total update makes a difference in a tight
13) Add a Bathroom – more bathrooms never hurt.
12) Blend you addition with the rest of your house.
11) Replace old windows – If your windows look old or rotting, what else could be old
and rotting. Double pane glazed windows save energy.
10) Basement remodel – make your basement usable and family friendly.
9) Add a deck – Takes the inside out. You deck should not be more than 1/3rd the size
of your house.
8) Major Bathroom remodel – bathrooms and kitchens sell houses.
7) Paint! Paint! Paint! – Hire a professional color analyst if you need to. Neutral colors
are best. A good paint job is a must. Hire a professional if you can’t do a good job.
6) Renovate your attic – make storage space into a living space. Add windows.
5) Two story addition - build an addition over an existing garage.
4) Don’t over customize your rooms. – Keep your rooms versatile.
3) Minor Kitchen Remodel – Stainless steel appliances – lighting – new door knobs and
2) Minor Bathroom Remodel – new paint job – shower curtains and towels etc.
1) Replace old Siding – the house needs to look good. Hardy plank or composite siding
is a good idea.
What Not to Do!
1) Don’t overdue – Stay on even track with the rest of the neighborhood. Example:
A concert pianist build a balcony in his living room to seat family and friends. This does not appeal to buyers.
2) Know your Limitations – Don’t say “I can do it myself” if you are not going to do
a professional job.
3) Adding a pool is not always good: If you live in a warm climate it might be great,
But if you live in a cool climate, it’s over doing.
4) Don’t customize too much.
5) It is not always the case to follow the latest design trends. Example: Peach colored
walls, use neutral pallets. Textured wall paper is out of style.
If you are going to sell your house, check out the market and check out what houses are selling for in your neighborhood.