Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More Tidbits.......

I was scouring the “Make a Note” website this morning and found this wonderful tidbits.

TAX HOLIDAYS

Some states have a variety of tax holidays, days when you can buy certain products without paying tax on them. Most of us are familiar with the school clothing/supplies holidays, but a few states are now doing hurricane and energy saving item tax holidays as well. To see if your state has tax holidays that can save you money, when they are, along with links to approved item lists and other information, go to...
http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html
Most of the hurricane holidays are imminent, so check your dates soon. NOTE TO FLORIDA RESIDENTS: If you are looking for your hurricane holiday, your state legislature decided to skip it this year, sorry. POST IT…on your computer and your calendar.

PROTECT YOUR FOOD FROM PLASTIC COMPOUNDS
Recent reports have found that more chemical compounds leech into our food from plastic containers than was originally thought. Many of us use a lot more plastic containers than we realize. So consider replacing plastic containers with glass or metal ones. Other items you might not think of that come into contact with food/drink…water bottles, travel mugs, measuring spoons/cups, cutting boards, utensils, pitchers, mixing bowls, etc. Here’s a link to an article with even more ideas on avoiding the chemicals…
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cancer/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100176179#

RECIPE: FOR THAT INGREDIENT
It has been sitting in your cupboard for an eternity. That lone can or package of some ingredient that you bought at one time or another and never got around to using. You can’t even find the recipe you were going to use it with. Now you can find a way to use it without pouring through piles of recipes. Go to… http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx
Enter the ingredient that you don’t have a recipe for, and then hit “Go” or enter. You will usually get a good variety of recipes to choose from. For example, I had a package of dry leek soup mix that had me at a loss. I entered it in, and now I have some veggie dip recipes and a slow cooked chicken dish to try. Hey, I’m guessing if it can come up with recipes for leek soup mix, then it can come up with recipes for your ingredient. It’s
a great way to clean out your cupboard a bit, without being wasteful. You may even find a new favorite recipe. POST IT…on the inside of the kitchen cupboard where you store your food, and/or with your recipes.

BACK ISSUE TREASURE: September 17th, 2003 Issue
(Hurricane Prep Sites, Legos, Practice Tests/Drills/Games, Italian Potato Salad, and More) Hurricane season isn’t that far away, and if you’d like to know what you might want to purchase during your state’s hurricane tax holiday, or how to prepare in other ways, check out the article in this back issue. You can also find a good source for Legos and practice tests/drills/games for almost any subject. Don’t forget the recipe for the Italian Potato Salad too. For all this & more, head to our back issue section by following the directions below. POST IT...on your computer.

BACK ISSUE RETRIEVAL
~~Via Web Site (All Issues...Eventually):
http://home.att.net/~make-a-note/index.htm , then click on "Back Issues", then scroll down to desired issue.
~~Via Automated Email (Issues from 8/98 to Present): Send a blank email to
make-a-note-issues@xc.org and follow directions you will receive by return email.
~~Via Request to Editor (ONLY Issues Prior to 8/98 for Readers UNABLE to Access Web Sites): Send date of requested issue to Editor at make-a-note@worldnet.att.net

Note from Lucy: If you love these hints you will love "Make a Note". Go check out their website and decide for yourself.

Have a great week everyone!

17 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Putz said...

are you related to darl hoole???

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Jess said...

I swear you post the neatest things...I really enjoy reading your blog!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Florida used to have tax holidays for hurricane supplies and back-to-school items. Both are gone this year based on budget woes.

I love that website for the stuff hanging around the pantry. The Missus is going to love that one!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

A tax holiday in Michigan??? You gotta be kidding.

Like Fred, I'm going to give that recipe site to my wife. I dunno though. She has some pretty strange stuff in her pantry.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Great hints. I have heard about the plastic in the microwave being bad too.
I do have a lot of plastic and will dumping a lot and looking for more glass. (without lead)
Thanks

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you are still as informative as you ever were. Good job!!!

Day

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Dear Lucy ~~ Great hints, and I also get the Make a Note e mails. I seem to remember you had test results due around 24th (my birthday). I do hope all is well with you Lucy and you got good results, my friend. Take care,
Love, Merle.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm amazed at what can be found online now.
That site where you put in an ingredient and up comes recipes for it! What a super idea!
I hope hurricane season goes easy on our gulf coast this year.

Enjoy your holiday weekend.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy - Thanks for those tips. One of out kids evacuated up to here from Pasadena for Rita, the other eight (I count inlaws), all of the Houston area, stayed put.

We stayed put when we lived in Friendswood for Alecia, the trees in the back yard bent to the ground. Only one broke off.

We are back now from Mrs. Jim's family reunion in Louisiana, got here about 9:30 Saturday night.
Mrs. Jim had cooked ten briskets to take, we brought back one. I don't cook.

On those math questions, just know where to go if you need to compute anything.
But for the test, just memorize the correct answer. That's what I'll do, I may have to take it more than once!
..

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Thanks for sharing the hints, Lucy!

Hope y'all have a great Sunday and Memorial Day. :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Thanks again Lucy. What would we do without your shared tips?

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the tips!! I especially love that one for the ingredients to use up. I have some almond paste just waiting for me to figure out what to use it in!!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

All good tips. I'll go check out the website.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Lucy, just to let you know that Merle left a thank you for you in my latest blog comments. It must be confusing for her . . . all us Yankees must look and sound alike at times.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ We live on the border of two states that both have those tax holidays. I think as many both come and go to both states to save some money on those days. At the cost of gas though, it is less an advantage if you have to drive TOO far. ~ jb///

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Dear Lucy ~~ I am so sorry I left your reply at Big Dave's blog. I couldn't get his to open or so I thought. Anyway, many thanks for the birthday wishes and I had a really nice time this year. Possiblt we appreciate them more as we get older.
Glad you are getting some yard work done and have help with the lad who will be glad of some financial help for his trip to camp. Take care, Lucy Love, Merle.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I haven't been here in awhile and I am just stocking up on some great info! Thanks Lucy :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home