Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Home Dried Potatoes

Recipe By : Real Food for Real People

Potatoes -- manageable amount
Metal Blanching Basket
Colander
Mixing Bowl
Paper Towels
Baking Sheets -- OR
Food Dehydrator and trays
Non-stick Cooking Spray

Peel desired amount of potatoes and slice into rounds 1/8 inch thick. (Peeling is optional- there are important vitamins and minerals stored in the potato skins, but they look nicer peeled, so choose according to your personal preference.) This can be done quickly with a food processor or slicer. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Put potato slices into a vegetable basket and plunge the basket into the boiling water and wait for the water to return to a boil. Once the water is boiling, start counting off 8 minutes of blanching time. While potatoes are blanching, set up a large mixing bowl in your sink and fill it with ice water. When the potatoes have blanched for 8 minutes, plunge the basketful of potatoes immediately into the ice water and let them sit there for 15 minutes. Spread the blanched potato slices in a single layer between paper towels and blot them dry.

If you are not using a dehydrator, spray cookie sheets with vegetable oil spray (do not use regular cooking oil); if you are using rimmed baking pans,spray and use only the upside down bottoms of these pans to prevent scorching near the pan's raised rim; if you are using Teflon cookie sheets, there is no need for spray. Spread potato slices on the prepared sheets or pans as close together as possible but in a single layer. Place cookie sheets on oven racks and turn the oven on to its very lowest temperature. (between low and off) Keep the oven door ajar so that the air can circulate freely and let moisture escape. Make sure that the temperature never gets so hot that your hand feels uncomfortable when held in the oven. This is necessary for thorough drying.

If you are using a dehydrator, place potato slices on racks which have been prepared with vegetable oil spray, placing potatoes close together, but not touching, so air is allowed to circulate between them. Turning is not necessary on vented racks. Dry according to manufacturer's instructions, or until potatoes are brittle, somewhat translucent and are not at all pliable. If you have solid racks, follow the same directions as for turning potatoes dried in an oven:

In an oven: After 1 hour, turn all the slices over; then turn the slices over every 30 minutes. Drying time will depend largely on your own oven, but you should begin checking for doneness at 3 hours. The potatoes are done when they become brittle, somewhat translucent, and are not at all pliable. Their color should be pale white with a tinge of yellow; do not let them become brown or even dark amber in color. Some potato slices will dry faster than others, so check every 15 - 30 minutes for slices which are done.

Let the dried potatoes cool thoroughly, then store for up to a year in glass or plastic jars OR plastic bags at room temperature in a cool, dry place.

Kaylin White/Real Food for Real People"

NOTES : Recipes to use with dried potatoes can be found on the Real Food
website at: http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/potatoes.html

Note from Lucy: Drying food is a way of Preserving that has been around for ages. When food is plentiful, it is a way to "put up" food for future use. Potatoes can be used in a multitude of ways. I hope some of you give it a try.

Have a great week everyone! It seems that I need to remember this quote:
"It is indeed remarkable that the nature of our dealings with our fellowmen will determine, in large measure, our status in the kingdom of heaven....We may attend to rites and rituals and yet overlook the weightier matters such as brotherly kindness, honesty, mercy, virtue, and integrity. Let us never forget that if we omit them from our lives we may be found unworthy to come into His presence."

--Mark E. Petersen, "Do Unto Others", Ensign, May 1977, 73
John 13:34–35

18 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Enjoyed it although I never dehydrate stuff...Mom does jerky though.

Have a good week

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sure seems like a lot of work and a very long process...And then, having watch it si carefully...Very time consuming. And truthfully, I'm not sure what the true benfit of all this is...!
Oh Well, I guess I won't be trying to do this....lol!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Putz said...

i had some red potatoes salad a feww days back and it was distinctavily better

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I've recently become interested in dehydrating. I love cranberry "raisins". But I don't like the oil they add. This has given me more to think about!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Fay was a dud over here, Lucy. I did call Mom and Dad in Vero, and they said they were getting pounded with wind and rain. I tornado touched down in Brevard County, just north of them.

And, they're saying Fay could make a u-turn and head back this way. That would be a bummer.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I have though about drying sweet potatoes. I never thought about drying white ones. I buy the dried sweet potato chips all the time.

We need to put into practice both the fruits of the spirt as well as the gifts of the spirit if we wish to be full fold Christians. I pray I don't come up short in any area.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I never thought about drying potatoes before. I sure do love them though!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I have a small dehydrator but have never done much with it besides making beef and venison jerky as Jessica mentioned. I did dry some peaches and apples a few times, but my dehydrator is so small it takes forever to get any appreciable amount done. I think it would be more practical for me to dry potatoes in my oven.

And I like the idea of making dried sweet potato chips. Thanks to Eve for mentioning that idea!

We can all do with the reminder to live by the Golden Rule: Do unto others as we would have them do unto us. And also, we should be ready to offer grace and forgiveness when asked, and even without being asked. Sooner or later WE will be the one seeking grace and forgiveness.

Thanks for this post, Lucy. I'll be copying this tutorial for later use. :o)

Much love,

Diane

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my site! This is a great blog. I checked out the medicine-cabinet must haves. Loved it. Thank yoU!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I've never tried dehydrating but will send this to my DIL who preserves a good bit of their food.
Thanks for sharing!
hugs))

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Putz said...

isn't it wonderful how real food makes you so much happier than eating a candy bar, ora package of chips

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Potatoes... yummy!!
I've never had a dehydrator, so it's good you posted how to do this in a regular oven. I may give this one a try since I have plenty of potatoes on hand.
Those coconut no bake cookies in your previous post sound delicious!!
I used a fellow blog buddy's recipe for a pineapple cake when I was at my parents' house. It was a hit, and proved that my blog buddies recipes are tried and true.
I hope you are having a good day!
It's good to be home and visiting blog buddies again.
Terrific quote too, also, as well.
:-)

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Thank you for your encouragement

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Makes me want to buy a dehydrator. I think I see those things advertised in those infomercials.

Only problem for us would be finding a place to store preserved foods. I think houses today don't come with fruit cellars and things like that like they used to.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

We dry jerky but we've never tried spuds.
I'm thinking I like my method better. Try dipping them in 380 degree hot corn oil. I think you'll find they taste better but they won't last as long.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I used to do a lot of dehydrating but never sis potatoes because they keep sp well. I did a lot of apples. My family especially loved them if I gave them a pre-soak in lemon water with a little honey added.
I also made a lot of fruit leathers. They ate those as fast as I got them out of the dehydrator!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy, Pringles are the dried potatoes that I like. I have never tried making them, Pringles uses mashed potatoes and bakes them dry. :-)
I would leave the skins on mine, Adi and I eat the skins of we don't leave them on the ones to eat. I put a little butter or margarine and pepper on mine, Adi has them plain. Baked or raw.
..

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger jel said...

hi Lucy,
hope your have a great day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home