Saturday, August 30, 2008

Labor Day weekend here already.......

For those of us living along the Gulf Coast, we have a hurricane to worry about. I’ll bet there won’t be much Labor Day celebrating going on down here. TF and I are as prepared as we will be, let’s just hope Gustav decides to go elsewhere.

Aren’t we blessed with a beautiful earth.

Yesterday I made the most wonderful muffins, they were moist, wholesome, and yummy… Here’s the recipe:

Whole-Wheat Banana-Nut Muffins:
Recipe from the Houston Chronicle,Flavor section 8-28-08

If you want to reduce the calories, sweeten the muffins with ½ cup of agave syrup instead of brown and granulated sugar.
Ingredients:
¼ cup ground flax seed
1 ½ cups minus 1 TBL. - Whole wheat flour
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional) I used the mini chocolate chips.
¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup applesauce
4 TBS. melted butter
3 bananas, mashed (the browner the banana, the sweeter the fruit.)
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
Sliced banana or raw sugar for garnish (optional)

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the rack in the center of the oven. Use 16 muffin-tin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients.
3) With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, carefully fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. The batter should be thick and chunky; over mixing will produce a dense, rubbery muffin. (I made sure that the batter was mixed with no flour showing and my muffins came out good.)
4) Spoon into prepared muffin tins and, if desired, place one slice of banana on top of each or sprinkle with a scant amount of raw sugar. (I didn’t put anything on top of mine.)
5) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6) Place muffins on a wire rack and cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.

This recipe makes 16 muffins (an entire week of breakfast). If you want something that is easy to hand the kids, as they run out the door to school, then this is it. I loved the light, banana taste that these muffins had and my grandkids loved them. They will freeze easily with a one minute hit in the microwave to warm up.

Have a great weekend everyone!

22 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Thanks for your encouragement, companionship through my blog, and most your prayers.

I appreciate you, Sis.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Eve said...

If it doesn't hit me, it will hit some of my friends. I just hope when it hits, no one gets hurt. Katrina is still too fresh in my mind,,,three years yesterday. We will leave on Monday morning probably. It is a Cat 4 now. Take care Lucy and leave if you have too. I'll be thinking of you.

Might make these muffins to take to the Motel with us. Thanks.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

These muffins sound yummy! I'll leave out the choc. chips though. Not my thing. ;o)

I made homemade blueberry muffins the other night. They were good, but I was disappointed that the blueberries didn't have more flavor. I've had them in the freezer since last Summer. My sister gave them to me from her bushes.

You and TF and the rest of the family be safe and keep us updated about your situation as Gustav gets closer if you can.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger jel said...

take care down there!

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

We are in hurricane "watch" now. Contraflow evacuation routes are opening up soon. Hang on tight!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said...

Try to have a happy weekend!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

That hurricane is going to be rough for wherever it decides to make landfall.

Those banana nut muffins sound great. That's one of my favorites!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I hope Gustav doesn't give you any problems, Lucy. It's an awfully large hurricane. Hopefully, it won't slow down too much when it hits the coast.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy, we are back home from Baton Rouge. It took seven hours but that was better than those who stayed on I-10. We went "through the country."
Our normal travel time is less than five hours.

Mrs. Jim saw that muffin recipe but hasn't tried it yet. She likes it because the applesauce is substituted for the oil.

I have never had bananna nut muffins without the nuts because I don't eat nuts any more (doc's orders). Guess I might try, these sound really good!
..
BTW, my blog's future is in limbo, please note I did a Sunday post today.
..

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger MightyMom said...

Good Luck with the weather!! I wish you well.

Thanks for coming by my place. I'm sorry you caught me on a rant...I don't normally rant about work, but sometimes it just gets to me. Stop back by later and you'll see my better side :-)

(please)

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I have been looking for your no bake cookie recipe forever. I love it because it's yummy and so healthy! Thanks Lucy!

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Looks like a good recipe. Maybe you could express mail me some. I'll send my address.
Hope the hurricane treats you okay. At least you don't have Ray Nagin running things there.
They re-elected him in New O so I guess they liked how he managed the last storm.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I hear that Gustav hasn't been the "storm of the century" as predicted. Send some of the rain up here. We could use it. Everything is parched here in Michigan.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Jess said...

I've made this recipe and the muffins are great! Jason loves them too...thank you for your kind comments on my last couple of posts and for that email!

Have a wonderful week and I will keep you guys in my prayers thorughout this storm

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Putz said...

we froze last night 29 degrees, i bet that is something you didn't kn ow luch....why do i bother with tomatoes....i can't believe how many green tomatoes i have....do you have a GOOD recipe for green tomatoes?one that isn't a relish, but one that can be used in tomaote dishes generally

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Well, Gustav didn't hit you directly, and luckily the levees around New Orleans have held pretty well so far. I hope we don't have any awful aftermath like we did with Katrina.
We are getting pummeled with wind & rains right now with heavier rains expected tomorrow. The creek near our house will surely rise up to the highest levels we've ever seen.
Yes, indeed our earth is beautiful!!
What a wonder of God's creation!!!!!
Thanks for the recipe.
Have a good week, and take care as I'm sure the rains are heavy for you there too.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Lucy,
Those muffins sound great and I have a bunch of bananas to use up. It's almost too hot to bake here though.
I don't know where you are exactly, but my prayers are with you as you must be in Gustav's path.
Stay safe!
hugs

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

hope the hurricane didn't cause too much damage. loved your blog and recipes.


yvonne:

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Gary ("Old Dude") said...

not much of a cook here, least not much into baking, but that receipe sure does sound good. ooh by the way thanks for stopping by and laying a comment on my blog post the other day. Hope things came through the storm okay down your way?

Gary (old dude)
http://threescoreplusten.blogspot.com/

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE that you bake all the time, Lucy...I never bake at all. And haven't for maybe 30 years....!
BUT, I do love reading about recipes!

I hope IKE Passes you by, my dear. He sounds worse than Gustav....!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ Seriously! Where did the SUMMER go? ~ jb///

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Stay safe, Lucy!

And sounds like you have delicious nut bread to keep you company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home