Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thought you would want to know.

I got this from a friend through email...I don't know how true it is but it should be a heads up for those of you are shopping for gift cards.
Heads up if you tend to give gift cards around the holidays, you need to be careful that the cards will not be honored after the holidays.

Stores that are planning to close after Christmas are still selling the cards through the holidays even though the cards will be worthless January 1. There is no law preventing them from doing this. On the contrary, it is referred to as 'Bankruptcy Planning.
Below is a partial list of stores that you need to be cautious about.
Circuit City (filed Chapter 11)
Ann Taylor 117 stores nationwide closing
Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 stores nationwide
Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January
Cache will close all stores
Talbots closing down specialty stores
J. Jill closing all stores (owned by Talbots) Pacific Sunwear (also owned by Talbots)
GAP closing 85 stores
Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January
Wickes Furniture closing down
Levitz closing down remaining stores
Bombay closing remaining stores
Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January
Whitehall closing all stores
Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.
Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick )
Macys to close 9 stores after January
Linens and Things closing all stores
Movie Galley Closing all stores
Pep Boys Closing 33 stores
Sprint/Nextel closing 133 stores
JC Penney closing a number of stores after January
Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
Wilson Leather closing down all stores
Sharper Image closing down all stores
K B Toys closing 356 stores
Loews to close down some stores
Dillard's to close some stores

I know for sure that Linen and Things are closeing all of their stores. I saw the sign on the building today and went inside to check out the sales....It is sad that our economy is sinking so fast. I think people are just afraid to buy things right now, with all of the uncertainties...

Note from Lucy: I'm not posting this to scare anyone, but I just wanted you to be aware of some store closing.....When you shop at these stores just don't buy a gift card, it doesn't mean you shouldn't shop there....Just a clarification.

14 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I got that too and passed it along to family only. I had though of putting it on my blog, yours will do fine. Isn't it just awful?
I can see a lot of handwriting on the wall but I'd rather not read it on the blog.
I'm thinking the big three ought to sell some of their plants to the foreign auto companies to satisfy Congress. Maybe that would scare them to come to the rescue.
:-)
..

 
At 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I think people are just afraid to buy things right now, with all of the uncertainties..."

Credit junkies, scared straight? ;-)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I got this same email yesterday. It's wise to pay close attention to those cards all around to make sure you know any expiration dates as well.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Those Moon Jars and the Sun Jar were purchased in the mid 70's for around $45. They were limited in production, Mrs. Garriot had her own pottery shop.

I haven't seen any for sale other than when we got ours and those for the family. If I do see one I will get in touch with you real quick.
..
I'd sell mine for what my stock has lost.
..

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

This is grat info. Thanks so much for sharing. I will send this post to all my family and friends.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Cecil said...

It is starting to get a little scary with all the stores and places shutting down! Jason is still looking for a job... yes, he, Jessica and Emmy need prayers! Today was another hot chocolate day! Cold!!!

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Very helpful hint, Lucy....It is scary to read about so very many syores closing. The GAP??? Half or more of my wardrobe was from The GAP. And Macy's....well, I just hope they are not going out of business completely! MACY'S is an institution from MY New York Childhood....! I knew about Sharper Image...Sad. Some of the others I get their catologues and have for years and years...I wonder if they are going out of business comletely??? Help!

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

I'll be back. I'm going to slit my wrist.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger HennHouse said...

Thanks, Lucy. I had heard about most of these in bits and pieces, but it is eye-opening to see them as a list.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Thanks for posting that. It's an amazing list that shows just what trouble our economy is in right now.

This is probably an odd observation to make but I was surprised to see Piercing Pagoda on that list, especially with all the piercings I see among today's youth.

I am a big fan of scary movies and the original Dawn of the Dead in particular. I even visited the mall in Pennsylvania where that movie was filmed back in the early 70s (late 60s?). Anyway, a website I visited said that the only store that still remained today from all the stores there when the film was made was Piercing Pagoda. So that chain was quite resilient in these economic times.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

yikes. I'm looking at all these stores, and wondering if our malls will become ghost towns in the next year? I wouldn't mind, I hardly ever go. But it's a spooky thought...

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger j said...

I saw this somewhere else today and whether it is true or not, it seems feesible (sp?).

My husband owns his own business that depends on making sales. He has heard WAY to often from his customers that they are waiting to see what happens with the economy. Everyone is nervous, me included!

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Lakeland Jo said...

I recognise some of those store names from when I visited on various holidays. Lane Bryant is my favourite.I am shocked by all those closures.
We are having the same headlines here: some well known stores are in trouble

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spoke with the manager of Cache in our mall. She's says they're not closing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home