Tuesday, May 12, 2009

More ideas from Dollar Stretcher

Cheaper, Healthier Spread

To save money and have a healthier spread, use the following recipe to enhance and stretch your butter.

1 cup warm water
1/2 to 1 tsp. lecithin granules (found at health food store and acts as emulsifier for water and oil)
1 cup olive or canola oil
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt, as desired
1 pound butter (room temperature)

Soften lecithin granules and salt in warm water and add oil and butter. Whip until creamy and no lumps remain, store in containers in fridge. Makes a nice creamy spread, and when cold, it still spreads easily. Carol M. in Hamilton, MT

Just a Shake

A quick shake of your clothes before putting them in the dryer saves time and money, which are two things that I never seem to have enough of. When you transfer the clothes to the dryer, give them a hard shake, even the socks. Because they are now untangled and more fluffed, they dry much faster and there is considerably less ironing needed. Rebecca D in Pensacola, FL Note from Lucy: I always shake my cotton shirts that I hang outside and they dry faster and have less wrinkles..

The Trader

I am saving money on plants this summer by trading with friends and neighbors. We all have plants like irises that need to be divided or shrubs that can be propagated. I have a big yard and can't afford much for landscaping. This works out for everybody. T. P. in MO

Night at the Spa

My husband and I are both very busy these days and it seems like our best times to talk are in the evenings after we've put the kids to bed. Recently, my lower back was aching so my husband got a bottle of lotion and rubbed my back for me and we just talked like we were on a date. It was wonderful! I was so relaxed and felt great. The following night, I rubbed his back with lotion and again we talked. He agreed that it was a wonderful stress reducer and he felt great the next day.

You could make this as romantic as you would like. Light some candles, get a "mini" of a favorite lotion from a bath and body store, or add a glass of wine to share. We do this once a month now. Not only is it quality time with my husband, but also it is very frugal and I always feel so rested and re-energized. Angie

Note from Lucy: My husband has a bad back and when it goes into spasms, I massage it with a few drops of lavender oil mixed into a base of sweet almond oil… The lavender helps to relax the muscles and it has a nice sweet odor. Lavender is also considered sensual….. I bought my sweet almond oil at HEB, in their health food section and I ordered the lavender oil over the Internet. Make sure you get essential oils, not fragrance oils…There is a big difference.

Cheaper Than Window Cleaner

To wash all the windows, mirrors, and TV screens in my house, plus to wash the inside of my car windows, I use windshield cleaner available at discount chain stores for $.99 to $1.09 per gallon. I then pour enough cleaner, using a funnel, to fill an empty quart size spray bottle. This comes to $.25 per quart of glass cleaner! Plus, I feel if the windshield cleaner is strong enough to clean my car's windshield of bugs and insects, it is certainly strong enough to clean the glass in my house. L. S. in Sheboygan, WI

Have a great week everyone.....

15 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Thanks for the great ideas. I have been shaking out my wet clothes before putting them in the dryer for hears and they do dry a lot faster.

I like the idea of using windshield cleaner to wash windows in the house. What a dollar saver that is!
Thanks for sharing.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, great tips, Lucy! I already use a butter/canola oil mix, but it's ready made, and recipe you give would be cheaper. The windshield cleaner is a great idea! Thanks for the tips. Have a great day!

Renie

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Great tips! I really like the spa tip and will try to find the mix you suggested. Bill has spasms in his back from time to time too.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

My beloved friend, i know this is off subject, and you haven't heard from me in awhile, but I always see you, and you always let me know you are here. I know you are a Christian, and I do not fear asking this of you.

We need some heavy duty praying, so please go HERE!, and link a prayer from your blog, or just put a link here and let him know you are praying for him.

I ask this not for myself, but for Jeffery. I don't know him, but I heard about him, and he is truly suffering.

Please ask your friends to pray for Jeffery .. he needs our prayers. God bless and thank you!

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Jahn said...

I always hang my clothes up until their almost dry, and then throw them in the dryer. Saves bucks.

Also, I use vinegar and water to clean glass. Never any streaks. :-)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Lucy, you're working overtime these days with all the great savings tips. Thanks for passing them along.

Now you know why The Missus and I like the hot tub so much. The water jets are a great way to massage our lower backs, along with a Diet Coke.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Ralph said...

Good tips.
Your post on Mothers was great.
Ralph

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That dryer thing is priceless! I always have to put it on a second cycle to fully dry my loads.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy, did you know that I'm back and blogging just a little bit? The two blogs are up and running but not Ask Dr. Jim (blog) yet.
I hardly ever use butter so I save more than you do! I think I will try the car cleaner stuff. I get squashed bugs on my mirror and don't know how to get them off. On the hood too. It won't hurt paint, huh?
..

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I do not shake out my wet clothes before putting them in the dryer but I will from now on. It is a sensible idea and I should have thought of it myself. I'm also excited about the window wash mix. It makes a lot of sense too.

Lucy, again thanks for sharing ideas to make our life easier!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Ooooo, ahhhhh, lavender and almond oil. So nice.

I always shake my clothes before putting them in the dryer. I have done this for years and probably picked up the habit from my mother. I especially shake towels and pants before putting them in.

:-)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

GREAT GREAT Suggestions!

Have you ever tried Vinegar and Water mixed, to Wash your Windows? It works pretty good, too....!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Great tips as usual dearie...its so good to visit..I feel like it has been a year...LOL

Thanks for always visiting me and commenting.

I hope all is well with you and that you have a great week ahead.

Love, Jess

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Great tips Lucy! I'll have to check out the windshield washer fluid!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Hello Everyone: I just wanted to let you know that I made the Butter spread the other day and it turned out wonderful. I used the olive oil in mine and it has a wonderful flavor.

Yes, I have used plain vinegar and water to clean with and it does an amazing job... We really don't have to spend a lot of money for cleaning fluids...

I put some of the wind shield washer fluid in a spray bottle the other day and it works like a charm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home