Friday, June 10, 2005

The Gift Box…

Years ago I started, what I call, “The Gift Box”. My children were small and it seems like they were always going to somebody’s birthday party. I was always at the store shopping for one gift or another. I decided that I was wasting time and spending more money than I wanted to for gifts. I started watching for sales on items that would fit the category. When I found a sale I would buy several and put them in the gift box. Before long I was doing this for birthdays, Christmas, weddings and whatever came along. I have just wrapped a wedding gift for one of the two weddings I’ll be going to this weekend. I went upstairs and looked in the gift box to see what I had that I could wrap up.

I watch for the really good towels, in neutral colors, to go on sale and I will buy 6 or 8 at a time. One of my favorite things to buy, for weddings, is a certain Lasagna pan from J C Penneys. It sales for $25.00 regular price and I can usually get it for $ 9.99. It is a nice stainless steel pan and everyone I have given them to really like it. My daughter buys her gifts strictly from the bridal registry, but there are gifts you can buy that most any bride will like. Many times I will look at the registry and see if the couple has listed something similar to what I would like to give them.

For bridal showers, I like to give practical gifts. I go into the Williams and Sonoma store at the mall and buy their nice dish towels when they are reduced or go on sale. Two weeks ago, while shopping at the HEB store, I ventured over to the side of the store that had the kitchen ware. There was a display with some nice summer dishes and they had just been marked down to half price. I knew that I would be going to a bridal shower a few days later so I decided to take a look. I ended up purchasing some kitchen shears, a pot holder, a spoon holder, 2 dish towels and a matching trivet for around $ 10.00. They made a great gift and fit within my budget. The colors fit with her color scheme and she really liked them.

Wrapping paper goes on sale at Walgreens several times a year and I will usually buy enough to make my trip worth while. You can also get wrapping paper and gift cards at the dollar store for a great price. I like knowing that when an event comes up, all I have to do is go upstairs and look in the gift box. It saves time, money and frustration.

Year round Christmas shopping…..now that’s a whole different story.

6 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

I start Christmas shopping in August. And I know what you're talking about with the Walgreens wrapping paper sales, along with bows and gift tags.

But the wedding and shower shopping...I don't agree at all. Sorry. I buy straight off the registry because that's what it's for. If the couple wanted something else they would have registered for something else. I know when I got married my family bought from the registry while his family bought us other stuff. Everything his family had purchased we either exchanged or returned for store credit to be used later. It was mostly duplicate items. My best friend bought us the electric can opener and mixer from the registry. His aunt bought a different can opener. I kept the one I registered for because it was the one I wanted, a cordless handheld one. I ended up with four crock pots, two can openers, three coffee makers, etc. But we were towel-less, flatware-less, sheet-less, etc. At least my aunt bought me my dishes. The excuse his family gave was that they couldn't afford to buy us anything from a bridal registry. I registered at freaking Target! One of the crock pots was over $50 and the entire set of flatware I wanted was only $40, for the whole set including serving pieces. Most of the stuff on the registry was cheaper than the junk they bought! Anyway, I'm ranting. Sorry. I think I'll go now.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Yes, I know the registry is there to show what the couple would like, but I only buy things like towels and the lazagna pan. I don't buy things I think are totally useless, like a crystal nut dish. I try to keep it practical especially when I don't shop from the registry. Don't get me wrong, I do shop from a resistry at times, but if funds are low I stick to my gift box.
Back in my early days, they only had a registry for china and crystal. To each his own!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Joy said...

I actually do the same thing. I buy things on sale, tuck them away and I also enjoy crafting. Friends get crocheted shoulder bags, etc and I've been embroidering pillowcases and flour towels for weddings etc for a while now.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Great ideas! I look forward to exploring your blog for more!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

I have been known on occasion to buy things in June for Christmas. But I've also ended up scrambling on Christmas Eve. I guess I can't make up my mind.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Way to go girl. My theory is: If you save money one one item, it gives you that much more for other things you need.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home