Friday, June 03, 2005

Why pay full price for meat…..

I learned many years ago how to shop the sales in the bargain bins. Almost every store has a day old bin for its meat and chicken that are coming up to their “best used by” date. They usually mark their meats down in the morning. If you don’t know when they do this, just ask the person behind the meat counter. They will tell you what time of day they do their mark downs. I go to the H.E.B. store between 8 and 9am. to look for bargains. Memorial Day I went in to purchase a brisket that they had advertised for 98 cents per lb. I looked at the briskets and decided that they looked just a little too fatty to buy. I started looking for the sale items and found an 8lb. bag of chicken thighs marked down to $ 2.50 for the bag. I slowly walk the meat isle looking for the extra ticket on the bag that shows the reduced price. Also check out the isle with the sausages, bacon, wieners and other forms of meat. Cheese, luncheon meats and cold packed sandwiches will also be marked for immediate sale.

A few rules when shopping for sales:
1) When chicken is close to it’s “best used by” date, please smell the bag to determine if it is still fresh enough to purchase. If it has a bad smell, don’t buy it. A bargain is no bargain if you have to through it out.
2) Make sure you know when is the best time to go shopping for these items. The bargains will go quickly, so you want to be there to get the first look.
3) Make sure you either use the meat by the stamped date or prepare it for the freezer and use it at a later date.
4) If you live in the South, where it gets mighty hot inside your auto, then you might want to purchase an insulated bag to put you refrigerated items in. You can get the insulated bags at Costco, Sam’s Wholesale and Wal-Mart. They cost about $3 to $4. each.
5) Watch your grocery ads for weekly sales.
6) If you have a job and can’t get to the store when the items are marked down, work with a friend who is home during that time of day. Give her some money and let her know what kinds of things you are looking for. I have a list of several people who I will call when I see certain things on sale or reduced. We help each other out and save money.
7) If you have three or four grocery stores around your home, check them all out and learn what their policy is for reducing the price of meat and etc.

Several weeks ago I found 6lbs of chicken breast for $ 2.50 a bag. That comes to around 42cents per lb. Last month I found Beef ribs that were marked $ 13.89 and I paid $ 2.67 for the package. I found three packages marked about the same price and I bought them all. I have purchased filet mignon for 99cents each. I have purchased ground sirloin for 99 cents per pound. The list goes on and on. I get good meat for bargain prices, why pay more?

You can fill your freezer in no time at all with prices like these. Stay within your budget and get more for your money. Have fun shopping.

13 Comments:

At 2:42 AM, Blogger Jahn said...

Holy....! I wanna go grocery shopping with you.

Oh, wait...

Anyway, I keep a small Coleman cooler in the bus at all times, for just such opportunities.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Joy said...

This is good to know...thanks for the tips!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Becca said...

yey meat! Well I play trumpet in band... thanks for stopping by!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

First off, I love your blog cause I'm cheap, but I'm also trying to teach myself to cook! Good stuff. Anyway, here's your interview: 1. What's the worst mistake you have made in the name of frugality? 2. Do you and your husband often tag-team on blogs, or are y'all separate? 3. This should be easy- tell us about your grandchildren. 4. What is your favorite thing about nature? 5. If you could give one piece of advice to those, say, 20 and under, what would it be? The rules are at my blog if you need them again- enjoy!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Robert said...

Hey Lucy, I didn’t realize that you had your own blog…good stuff indeed. It sounds like you’re the quintessential Proverbs: 31 woman.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Thanks Robert, That was so kind.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Nettie,

1. What's the worst mistake you have made in the name of frugality?
I bought some Non-brand name “Spam” product once at MacFrugals and it was so bad my dog didn’t eat it. This is when I learned the lesson to only buy one can of an untried product and try it first before buy a lot of cans. What a mistake.

2. Do you and your husband often tag-team on blogs or are y'all separate?
My husband has a blog of his own and I read it, but I have never written an article on his blog before. I posted a recipe once and it didn’t go over well. Of course his blog is a political blog so those guys weren’t interested in “One bowl Brownies”.

3. This should be easy- tell us about your grandchildren.
I have one 3 ½ yr. old grandson at the moment and he is the apple of my eye. My daughter is pregnant with a little girl that is due July 24th. I am anxiously awaiting her birth. Little girls are so much fun to shop for. I hope I don’t spoil her too much. We are lucky to have our grandchildren Here in the same town with us.

4. What is your favorite thing about nature? Read this:
http://lucysfrugalliving.blogspot.com/2005/05/he-stole-my-blog.html

5. If you could give one piece of advice to those, say, 20 and under, what would it be?
Listen to your parents, they love you. Trust in your Heavenly Father and he will get you through your struggles.

The rules are at my blog if you need them again- enjoy!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Lucy,

Your tips are SO wonderful, Chris and I are constantly looking to save money. Especially when grocery shopping.

Have you ever heard of the dice game "Farckle"? The reason I ask is cause we were over at some friends tonight and we played Farckle and I have never heard of it. They are from Texas so I thought maybe it was a Texas thing:)

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

evey, No, I haven't heard of Farckle. How do you play it?

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

"Farckle", isn't that part of the answer the spy computer spit out after having decoded the composition played by the Tom Hanks character during a performance in The Man With One Red Shoe?

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger MilkMaid said...

What a great blog!! Glad I surfed over it, if it's ok, I wanna link you on my blog roll.

I discovered this marked down meat thing about two years ago. HEB seems to be the best up here in Conroe about decent meats marked down...way way down.

I'm a MilkMan's wife (LOL, could you tell?), another tip, milk and a LOT of other store brand items are actually produced and even delivered by the brand name. Locally you will recognize Borden milk, Poinsettia is the SAME milk. So is Kroger milk. Big savings in store brand stuff and more times than not, the exact same quality and product. :)

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Milkmaid, I would love for you to add me to your links, especially since we live so close together. I live off of 1960 and I-45. My three kids graduated from Westfield H.S. HEB is the best place to get reduced meat right now. I used to go to Krogers, but they changed there policy and I hardly even look there any more. Thenks for the tips about milk. I am always buying Kroger's Springfield brand. It's good milk. Look forward to hearing from you again.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger prying1 said...

Who'da thought to ask the meat cutter what time they put the quicksale prices on meats? Thanks for the tip.

Great blog you have going! - Paul -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home