Thursday, July 28, 2005

Dust Off – A Terrible Danger

If you have children or grandchildren, PLEASE read this officer's story carefully. You can also verify the story at http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dustoff.asp Dust Off (or a variant of the product) is available everywhere there's a computer.

You’ve got to read this story. I received it from a friend of mine in my email yesterday. It’s totally amazing what kids will find to give them a high. I could hardly believe that a can of Dust Off could be so dangerous. Check out the link above at Snopes for the complete story. It will break your heart and inform you at the same time of a hidden danger.

I was wondering last night what I would blog about today. Then I read this story about a young 15 yr. old boy who died from inhaling Dust Off. You wonder how that could be a danger until you read the story. I wonder many times what makes people do stupid things like this? Are they bored? Is there something in their lives that they just can’t deal with? What makes people do things that will harm them? In this case the young man thought it would give him a “high”, it wasn’t dangerous drugs. Actually this is worse than drugs. It can kill you instantly. What a waste of life! I think about my new little granddaughter and pray that she will never do anything like this. I had tears rolling down my checks after reading this story and knowing the terrible hurt that family must feel. If you would like to read the complete email from this father, please let me know and I will forward it to you.

5 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Beth said...

You've probably never done drugs. For most teens, it's more about escaping their present situation. Too much of one type of parent and such. I agree, this new generation is sad with what they'll do to get high.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Better Safe Than Sorry said...

never heard of this myself

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Whole Wheat Bagel said...

In the early 90s, when I was in college, I came upon an article that talked about kids huffing Scotchgard. I had never heard about huffing. I guess I led a sheltered life.

The article talked about a kid who died. The little nodules in his lungs that transfer oxygen to the blood were covered with Scotchgard, so there was no way to save him. It was simply impossible for his body to function properly.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I heard about a Dust Off tragedy on the news. I warned my family about it. There are so many dangerous things out there and we never really know if our kids will choose to experiment. I think it's best to keep it locked up if you have to have it and have kids.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Ms. Momma said...

I've never heard of Dust-off, but I've heard of kids doing this with whipped cream cans. I think they are called whippets? (sp?)

Stupid and senseless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home