Tuesday, July 12, 2005

She’s having her puppies, RIGHT NOW!

Roxie went into labor last night and we knew that the time was short. She was drooling and panting on a continuous basis. My husband went to bed and I sat up with Roxie for as long as I could and then fell asleep on the couch. Roxie wanted to go outside, so I let her go out to do her business. She came back in but she wanted to stay outside and have the puppies. The vet had already said that it would be best if Roxie delivered in the small swimming pool that we bought for her to deliver in. She wanted her to deliver inside, out of the heat. Well, about 45 minutes ago, Roxie got into the pool and immediately delivered her first puppy. I got some paper towels and disposed of the afterbirth, as per instructions from the vet. Roxie did not like me being part of the process. She picked up her puppy and headed for the back door. She was adamant that she was going to deliver the rest of her babies outside. The little puppy was squealing so, What could I do? I opened the door and off she went. She had already picked out a spot in the back part of the yard that is lush with a spreading kind of ivy. She put her puppy down and started digging her hole. I immediately called the vet and told her what had happened and she told me to just let Roxie deliver on her own. I am supposed to check on her from time to time and make sure she is alright. It’s hot outside (remember we are here in Houston, TX) the humidity is near 90%, and there are mesquites all over the place. I worry about her and her puppies out there, but what can I do? I will pray that everything goes alright and hope that the Lord protects Roxie and her puppies. I’ll keep you posted and I’ll take pictures when it’s all over. I feel like an expectant Grandmother, waiting for her grandchildren to be born. I’ll be going thru it for real in less than two weeks. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.

Update: 7:04 pm. Houston Time
We did get Roxie back in the house because she realized it was just too hot outside. No sooner did we get her back in the house the rain came. We now have 7 live puppies. I think there might be one more. There were 2 still born puppies. It was really sad. TF will be taking pictures shortly. More coming soon.

Update: 9:15 pm. One more still born. You just wonder what happened to those little still born puppies. So Sad!

3 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, it's not her first litter, so i guess you have to let her be a mom, she knows whats she's doing. hope all is going well, looking forward to seeing those pics

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

How exciting! I'm glad she waited for you to get home!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Evey said...

I am so excited, I cant wait to see the pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home