Tuesday, August 30, 2005

GOOD TIMBER

The tree that never had to fight
For sun and sky and air and light,
But stood out in the open plain
And always got its share of rain,
Never became a forest king
But lived and died a scrubby thing.

The man who never had to toil
To gain and farm his patch of soil,
Who never had to win his share
Of sun and sky and light and air,
Never became a manly man
But lived and died as he began.

Good timber does not grow with ease,
The stronger wind, the stronger trees,
The further sky, the greater length,
The more the storm the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow.

Where thickest lies the forest growth
We find the patriarchs of both.
And they hold counsel with the stars
Whose broken branches show the scars
Of many winds and much of strife.
This is the common law of life.

by Douglas Malloch

A friend of my daughter's reminded me about this poem. I had been looking for it for days now. Tip o' the hat to John Webster.
I think about this poem whenever I think about growth and challanges that we as humans must go through in this life. I think of the survivors of Hurricane Katrina and what kinds of growth they will now go through as they face the loss of a home, maybe no jobs, or the loss of a loved one. Life will go on even with these hardships. Many will have to start over with little or nothing. I hope they have strength and the help of their Heavenly Father, as well as friends, as they march on and forge a new way for their families.

11 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Where there is no struggle, there is no strength!

Great Poem, Great Post!!

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Where there is no struggle, there is no strength!

Great Poem, Great Post!!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I loved your post! Thank you for stopping in and for your lovely comment. When you have time,browse the rest of my site. Have a Blessed day. God Bless You.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so tragic, i don't even know where they are going to begin.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

A beautiful poem, indeed.

Growth and challenges are some of life's forces that affect each and every one of us.

My thoughts and prayers are with all families and victims of this tragedy.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Fred said...

When I went through Hurricane Andrew, the storm lasted eight hours; the misery lasted eleven months.

It's so hard to believe that New Orleans is essentially a ghost town now. It'll take a decade before the city gets back to normal.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I wonder if the city will ever be back to "normal". I hope they take things into consideration before building below sea level again. When Galveston had the 1900 hurricane, they raise the level of the city 10/12 feet and then put the sea wall up. That was 105 years ago and so far (fingers crossed) they have been able to weather the storms OK.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Well done. Very nice.

I never thought my life would recover after Hurricane Andrew. It did. It was painful, but we made it back. New Orleans will, too.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger PBS said...

That's beautiful and so true! Good to remember in times like these...

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger John & Elaine said...

It's one of my favorite poems.

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Suffering does tend to make us stronger. I started picking cotton at the age of five. Picking cotton made my back strong, but as I have gotten older, my knees are weak.

There is, of course, such a thing as too much suffering. One should have a balance so that we can appreciate the finer things in life, if they by chance come out way. It occurs to me, these folks were suffering long before Katrina hit land.

Still, Lucy, this is a wonderful poem .. and the perfect time to share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home