Tuesday, August 30, 2005

How do you like your berries?

Ahhhh yes, Blackberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries and etc. I am in charge of a Frozen Berry order for my church group. Every year for the last 15 years or so, we order frozen berries from the northwest. We order in August and they come in September. Most of the berries come IQF (Individually Quick Frozen) and others come in Straight Pack (the berries are poured into a bucket and frozen all together) Some of the berries come in as Puree. The straight pack and puree are used to make jams and jellies. My husband and I like the IQF Blackberries. They come in a 30 lb. box and I scoop them into quart sized freezer bags and pop them into our big freezer. My husband’s favorite way to use them in on top of ice cream. He will put a small bowl of frozen berries in the microwave for 2 minutes and then pour them over Vanilla Bean, Blue Bell ice cream. Yummm! The tartness of the berries blend perfectly with the sweetness of the ice cream. You talk about Heaven. At this rate it does not take us very long to go thru our berries.
Other frozen items that we order are: Pineapple chunks, Mango chunks, Granny Smith Apple slices, Rhubarb slices, Apricots Slices, and Cherries. Each year we put together a nice order.

Question here: How do you like your berries?

11 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Le laquet said...

I love berries - strawberries fresh from the plant (they grow all around us in this bit of Kent), blackberries in apple and blackberry crumble, rasberries in jam, jelly or as a compote with icecream. The only ones I don't like are currants - black / white or red .... too sharp! A fantastic recipe for strawberries/raspberries in the summer is Eton Mess, look here -> http://laquet.blogspot.com/2005/07/in-response-to-walkers-marinated.html

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Joy said...

i love berries. strawberrries, raspberries, blueberries, but i adore currant jelly. I make crisps, cobblers, and even a slump here and there. I've found the best recipes are the simple ones, but adding a quarter cup of shredded coconut to a crisp....divine.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

hi thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, you have a great blog too btw, is it ok if i link you...???

and i'm not a big fan of berries, but you made my mouth water with your post...

:0)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

Berry nice*

My Dad used to get us wild blueberries to put on ice cream.

My cousin owns a little (1500 sq meters) of land ourside the town she lives in. She's got all sorts of berries growing there, including red, black, and even white(!) currants.

Sigh.... there goes my diet.





*Oh, c'mon. You knew someone had to do it.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blueberries are my absolute most favorite fruit. i like everything to do with blueberries, pies, jam, fresh, in a crisp, you can do no wrong with

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Berries? Is that what's underneath all that sugar?

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yummy...eat some berries for me please. Have a Berry of a day.God Bless You.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger The probligo said...

Strawberries, light dusting of icing sugar, serve on icecream.

Blackberries - what can be better than eating them straight off the bramble. Brush the wasps off first!

Raspberries - we usually get them bulkpack frozen. OK for tarts and pies.

Boysenberries (black raspberries) mix into half melted icecream and re-freeze.

Reminds me - the first strawberry crops here come out early October, just in time for my wife's birthday...

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

With Cool Whip, all the way.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger PBS said...

I grew up on a strawberrie farm so love them, especially on a piece of white bread (I don't eat white bread normally but with strawberries it tastes like shortcake!) we used to pick blackberries and make jelly. Actually, I like pretty much any berry.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Marilyn said...

I ADORE blackberries. Some of my favorite childhood moments occurred in the overgrown lot across the street from our house, picking blackberries and putting them into a saltine TIN. (Jeez, I'm old!) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home