Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Old Sayings…..

We have a poster of old sayings sitting in front of the thrown in our thrown room. Every time you sit down to do your business you can read the poster. I thought you might be interested in a few that I like:

1) Birds of a feather flock together.
2) There is more to life than increasing its speed.
3) No one gets too old to learn a new way of being stupid.
4) It is better to be a has-been than one who never was.
5) We didn’t all come over on the same ship, but we’re all in the same boat.
6) The same wind blows on us all, it’s how you set the sail that counts.
7) Those who can’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
8) Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
9) The man who is too old to learn was probably always too old to learn.
10) To most of us it would be very convenient if God were a rascal.
11) It is difficult to see the picture when you are inside the frame.
12) The dog that trots about finds a bone.
13) He that has but four and spends five, has no need for a purse.
14) The vow that binds too strictly snaps itself.
15) If at first you don’t succeed, you’re running about average.
16) Nothing so needs reforming as other people’s habits.
17) The fellow who is a good sport has to lose to prove it.
18) Easy street is a blind alley.
19) The growth of wisdom can be accurately gauged by the drop in ill temper.
20) Don’t discourage the other man’s plans unless you have better ones to offer.
21) Who lives content with little possesses everything.
22) The man who wants for things to turn up has his eyes fixed on his toes.
23) To approve is more difficult than to admire.
24) Some people pay so much attention to their reputation that they lose their character.
25) It may be those who do most, dream most.

These are just a few that I read on a daily basis. My mom and dad were good with old sayings. A few good ones that I learned from them were:
1) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
2) What goes around, comes around.
3) One of these days you’re going to have a kid just like you.
4) It’s not the challenges you have in life, but how you handle them that count.

What are some of the “old sayings” you heard growing up?

Puppy Update: Check here for a current picture of the puppies.

Bargain of the week: Today while I was out grocery shopping I found Chicken breasts for .69Cents per pound. I purchased 4 packages which had 5 chicken breasts in each pkg. and I paid around $ 3.25 per package. I came home and cleaned and repackaged the chicken for use at a later date and put it in the freezer. Don't forget to check out the sale bin at your grocery store. I wrote a previous post on just how to do this. Check it out here.

19 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

"A good plan now is better than a perfect plan later." -- Gen. George S. Patton

"It is not they who have little who are poor, but they who contantly want more." -- Baha Ul'lah

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Bryan Kurz Photography said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Colleen said...

That is a great poem especially the place that it is put. LOL
Thank you for shareing and thank you for stopping in at my blog.

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

most of these i've never even heard of

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Bonfire said...

too many spams in your blog comments mom :(

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Bonnie, I finally figured out how to delete the spam. Yea, I learned something.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

Eat lots of beans.

Mwahahaha!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well Jahn, I was wondering what I was going to say about cheap gas and it looks like you came up with the answer. I like it.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I think you've got all mine covered, I can't think of any. (I think my brain is fried, actually.)

The puppies are sooo cute!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger The probligo said...

Lucy, in my family (when I was young and tender) the "thrown room" was otherwise known as "the library".

There was usually at least three books in there - my dad's, mine and one of my brothers. My got quite cranky about it so the old man put up a shelf to hold the books.

I haven't gone quite that far... but my book still lives there. Current is "Blokes, Sheds and Inventions".

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I heard "Lord willing and the creek don't rise" a lot when I was growing up.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

How is it possible that a chicken can have breasts weighing in a four pounds and the most I can weigh in at are 1 pound a piece?

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Darlene, I bought 4 pkgs of chicken breasts and there were 5 chicken breasts per package. They did average around 1 lb. per breast.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

"The wise man does not set his mind either for or aginst any particular thing, but what is right he will follow." -- K'ung Fu-tse (Confucius)

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Impressive puppies!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Great post, i love those old sayings! The pups are so cute!! How old are they?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

That picture of the puppies was taken last a week ago last Friday. They were 3 1/3 old at the time and they weighed in at 4 1/2 to 5 lb. I know they have grown more now. They have all been promised for and they will go to their new homes next Friday and Saturday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home