Monday, October 24, 2005

Hot Metabolism Cocktail

This is a wonderful way to jumpstart your metabolism. It works, I’ve tried it. I buy those Women’s World magazines that you see in the supermarkets. This one, Sept. 6, 2005, particularly caught my eye. Here are a few notes before I give you the recipe.

This is basically a metabolism boosting detox . Ph.D. Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman is the diet guru can came up with this recipe. Gittleman’s regimen also primes the calorie-burning systems that tend to “crash” after crash diets. She says you are better able to lose weight over the long term. Many people who have stalled, or come to a plateau on a weight loss diets, have been able to restart their weight loss after trying the Hot Metabolism Cocktails. Over a three day period on this regime, you should be able to turn off your carb cravings and lose some pounds.

Why it works: Dr. Gittleman breaks it down like this:
1) The fluid factor: In addition to three fat-flushing metabolism-revving “cocktails” a day, you get lots and lots of water. Staying well-hydrated has been found to keep metabolism running 3% higher.
2) The “heat factor: When researchers studied a drink much like Gittleman’s they found it contained enough cayenne pepper to accelerate heat production in the body, turning up fat burning.
3) The high-metabolism tradeoff: Forget all those grain foods we usually eat. They trigger the release of insulin, which promotes hunger and fat storage. Instead, Gittleman has you fill up on protein- eggs, fish, chicken and more. Protein won’t cause insulin to be released – plus it stimulates the metabolism by 25%.
4) The Detox factor: Downing nature’s most powerful cleansing agents –especially green vegetables- helps rid your body of toxins that stall fat burning. Because toxins, from pesticides in food and pollution, are stored in fat cells, the more we detox, the more fat cells shrink.
5) Fat with fire power: Thought this plan is low in calories, it still provides plenty of good fat. The reason? Studies show that good fats burn off much more quickly than bad ones. And as they burn, they create more metabolism-boosting heat!

A few rules of the detox:
This is a three day detox: Each day, be sure to drink a half ounce of water for every pound you weigh. (Example: if you weigh 160 lbs., drink 80 ozs. of water or ten - 8 ozs. Cups.) As with any new plan, get your doctor’s okay before you begin.
Drink three cocktails a day and eat a low carb diet. The magazine article gives three days worth of menus to go along with the diet, but it would take up too much room to list them all here. If you are interested in the menus, email me or look for this particular issue of the magazine. The menu is all low carb eating.

Hot Metabolism Cocktail:

3 Tbs. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 medium vine-ripe tomato
½ cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
2 Tbs. fresh chives
½ cup filtered water (I use distilled)
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
½ clove of garlic
Dash of cayenne
Pinch of potassium-based salt substitute
3 – 4 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients for approximately 1 minute on high speed in a blender.
Yield: 12 ounces

Lucy’s Notes: I tried this and followed all the instructions, eating a low carb diet, for three days and lost 6 lbs. I had more energy than I have had in a good while. Since doing the detox, I have continued drinking the cocktail whenever I feel I need an energy boost. When I don’t get enough sleep, and I have a big day ahead of me, I always drink one cocktail in the morning. When I am only drinking one cocktail, I increase the garlic to one whole clove.
The article was written by: Beth Weissman of Women’s World magazine. 9-06-05

29 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Ooof, sounds intense.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Does it taste like v-8?

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Interesting regimen. I've been on a steady diet for two years now, with 20 less pounds to show for it. So - I'm pretty happy with the results.

But, I wonder if this will help shave off a few more, and help keep them off?

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Fred - Give it a try and see what happens.

Oh Great One - It kind of has a salsa taste. I like it.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

The detox drink sounds pretty appealing.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is no way i could drink that, no way at all.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I think I will. I'm going to use this during the two-week holiday break in December; this could be just what I'm looking for. Thanks again, Lucy.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

Hmmm... I think I just found the way down off this plateau I've been on the last two weeks.

I would like some of those recipes, if they're on-line. That'd be easier than trying to find the mag in the library and transcribing them.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Well hi, Lucy! Love your photo! It fits.

Thanks for stopping by Romantic Ramblings. Come by often and leave comments. In fact, I'll blogroll you on mine. If you like what you see you can do me the same favor.

I lost 25 lbs on the low carb diet, while my wife lost 30. We're back down to the weights we held 40 years ago, and it's staying off without effort. Love it!

John

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Katie said...

girl you always make me hungry when i read you blog...lol

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Tara said...

That sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a go when it's time to lose all the baby weight. I once read somewhere that most people confuse dehydration for hunger. I guess with all that water, you can't really do that.

P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Been a while since I harassed you.

Tastes like salsa? Let's get some tortilla chips!

I've been shedding those post-baby pounds the good old-fashioned way: I joined a fitness center. I also have upped my energy, so mush that sometimes I get insomnia. Bummer.

PS: I'm officially a Texan again. You do know that I moved to Lake Jackson, just south of Houston, right?

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Lava said...

ewe - that doesn't sound good at all!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger QueenBee said...

Thanks for your comment on my site! And GO STROS!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Coach Leahy said...

I've found a mocha java enema will jumpstart your day nicely.

Let me know how it works out for you.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

coach, I'm not into enema's but thanks for the info.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I'm always a little leery of these wonder drinks/foods. Since I'm a diabetic, I know that foods high in protein will raise your sugar, though not as quickly as carbs. So they still stimulate insulin production.

Somebody told me a tea made from mandarin orange peels is another wonder drink. I haven't been able to find mandarin oranges around here though.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this works on males I gotta try it! Thanks for commenting on my blog, your paragraph encapsulated grace!

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Simply Coll said...

It sounds interesting.. just wondering about the taste.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I am DEFINITELY trying that mixture, Lucy. I spend so much on fat burners, which do not work anymore. I must confess, that the only thing that seemed to work was those items containing ephedra. I will try this non-alcoholic mix.

Thank you.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

I have been waiting on this post with nervous anticipation Lucy. Thanks! I am going to jump right on it -- right now!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

nice blo

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I wonder, did you get into many conversations eating a whole glove of garlic might deter some. lol!!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Reading this reminds of something Rabbi Twesky wrote: If the perfect diet exists(ed), why would they need to come up with a new one very week.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Thanks for all you comments everyone. Several of you have asked about the garlic. When I drink only one a day, I up the garlic to one whole clove. I have not had anyone tell me that I smell like garlic and I have not had any upset stomach. Give it a test and if the garlic upsets your tummy, cut down to half a clove. The garlic is an important part of the drink. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

I don't need to loose weight, but the detox part I like,,, trying to kill the nicotine demon... I might try it for that. and the pick me up part..

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo happy to finally locate this recipe. I have done this diet in the past with amazing results. It worked better than I expected, especially where inch loss is a concern.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Big Dave T- in all the years I have been a nurse- 33yrs- I have never heard of protein raising blood sugar. Maybe check us facts and get some help with ur diabetes. In the mean time, try this! It works like crazy. I believe the original article stated not to do this for more than 6 weeks, then take a 2week break. At any rate, you will loose weight, inches, and feel amazing. If u do stay on it for a few weeks, u will smell a little garlicity. It goes away on the 4days you are off. On the off days continue the low carb diet.

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Nettie
It's easy. The original diet from the magazine has u drinking the cocktail upon arising, then 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Lunch was a salad with lean protein like chicken or tuna. Late afternoon was a cocktail, dinner was fish n steamed veggies. Then another cocktail later in the evenin before bed. Not intense at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home