Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Jury Duty

Yesterday I pulled something in my back, so when I woke up this morning I was pretty stiff. I carefully rolled out of bed at 6:00am. and got in the shower. The water was good and hot and I let it pound on my back as I shampooed my hair and soaped up. I had jury duty today and I didn’t want to call in with an excuse. I was grateful that the hot water and some muscle relaxants helped loosen things up. An ice pack between me and the seat, made my trip into town a bit easier.

I am always amazed at the number of people who show up for jury duty that are wearing jeans and sandals. I had on a skirt and blouse and almost felt out of place. The jury pool that I was picked for included 65 people, with me being #50. We walked, as a group, over to the criminal court building, went thru the medal detectors and up to the 15th floor. The deputy that was in charge of us, lined us up by our numbers and took us into the court room. The case that we were there for was a sexual assault, with a grown up, in which violence was used. We were asked some really interesting questions by the prosecutor and defending attorney. All I can say is, I am sooooo glad that I was not picked to be on this jury. I was so wrapped up in the case that I almost forgot about my back hurting. I came home and took a nap, taking it easy for the rest of the day.

I thought you would enjoy this recipe for:
Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole

1 can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree -- (28-ounce)
1 can chunky salsa -- (14 1/2-ounce)
1 can tomato paste -- (6-ounce)
2 cans black beans -- (15-ounce) rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn -- (15 1/4-ounce) drained
1 can diced green chiles -- (4-ounce)
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
l/2 teaspoon garlic powder
5 corn tortillas
1 can sliced ripe olives -- (2 1/4-ounce) drained

In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, salsa, tomato paste, beans, corn, green chiles, cumin, and garlic powder. Mix well. Ladle about 1 cup of this mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker; spread evenly. Top with 1l/2 tortillas, cutting to fit as necessary. Spread on 1/3 of the remaining tomato mixture. Repeat these layers 2 more times, ending with the rest of the tomato mixture; spread evenly over the top. Sprinkle the sliced olives over all.Cover and cook on the low heat setting about 5 hours.Serve hot.

Today's Crockpot Recipe Courtesy of Juan Valdez

18 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

OOoo Lucy take it easy and rest as much as you can, sounds quite nasty.
Your court matter sounds interesting.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone complains about jury duty, but I dunno, I think I'd find it interesting....

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of your distress!
I hope everything went well once you got home.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't being an adult wierd sometimes? Jury duty...etc.
I love this recipe!
Thanks for sharing~

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Jury duty is a pain. I guess it depends on what it is though. I did jury duty once and the painful part was going in and finding a place to park, then waiting and answering questions and see if you are chosen. I went in one day and they said we could go home since the case had been settled out of court. I ended up being chosed for 2-3 minor things. Once you are chosen then it's interesting but the other stuff is the pain!

Thanks for the recipe.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I was called for jury duty once, but I never got a chance to serve. Since I like a good argument, though, I feel it's probably good that I not get picked. Vote me "most likely to hang a jury."

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

You can get amazed on how people dress now-a-days. Pants and shirt is the most used.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

did they give you a reason?
How many times can a person be called on such a thing?

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Jury duty. Wow. Once I saw a guy intenionally get tossed out by making a scene. As soon as the guy who was injured (it was a civil case) limped into the room this guy stood up and loudly said, "He's faking, I know he's faking, and I'm not giving him a (expletive) dime!"

The judge scolded him and dismissed him.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Here, in Ca. if you do not show up for jury duty, a bench warrant can be issued for you. I have been called three times to serve, but know I would not get selected. Personally, jury duty is our civic duty, and I am in favor of people showing up for it.

That recipe looks devine!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Thanks for your comments everyone...I want everyone to understand that I have always showed up for jury duty, even when my children were young and I could have gotten out of it.

I really do enjoy going down and doing my civic duty. The reason I am glad that I did not get picked for that case, is because my sisters son was falsely accused for molesting a child. They ended up dropping the case, but the prosecutor kept trying to get my nephew to plead guilty right up until the time they dropped the case. They knew that they were going to drop the case but kept after him. He said he wasn't going to plead guilty to something he didn't do and he stuck to his guns. My poor sister lost 30 lbs. going thru this and she paid out $15,000.00 to lawyers and credible witnesses. The DA had absolutely no proof and they knew it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I might have a hard time keeping my mind completely on the case after what happened to Robert.

I have served on a civil case about three years ago and it was really interesting. I do enjoy serving when I am called.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I hope your back feels better soon. I find that a heating pad helps me quite a bit. Light stretches also help. Good luck!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Hope your back is feeling better. Thanks for the great recipe:)

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your back any better yet?

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for swinging by my site :)

It was interesting to read about the jury selection process. And I think it's good that they do do this, to try to get as unbiased jury as possible, though in some cases it must be nigh on impossible to do so.

I'm curious though as why jeans (and sandles) wouldn't be appropriate attire. I think that if that's the clothes that people wear normally, why not? But remember I'm in europe so maybe we are more casually dressed here, excpet the chic French and Italianos :)

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Just a note: My back is much better. I can hardly tell that it hurts any more. I suppose I was lucky on this one.

lorna - I think that jeans and sandles are great at a ball game, grocery shopping, and other things. I think it just shows a little more respect for the court when you dress better. That doesn't mean you have to get fancy, just something a little nicer. I suppose I was raised that way.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Martin said...

I'm pretty happy that I haven't had to do jury duty. Mainly because I'm getting more opinionated as I age.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger HanktheDog said...

Having a hurt back can be tough indeed: the invisible injury that kicks in at the most inconvenient times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home