Tuesday, September 25, 2007

You learn something new every day…

This information was taken for the First magazine, 10/01/07 issue, page 16 and 17.

Did you know that:
1) The potent nutrients in cabbage can reduce the risk of heart disease by 40%? To slash heart disease risk by 40%, consider eating 1 cup of folate-rich cabbage daily. Researchers at Harvard University report that the nutrient converts the artery damaging compound homocysteine into the amino acid methionine. This strengthens blood vessel walls, resulting in improved circulation and a decreased risk of harmful blood clots.
2) Reduce the risk of breast cancer. Eating four 1 cup servings of cabbage each week can reduce breast cancer risk by 45 %, according to a study in the journal Cancer Research. The credit goes to the vegetable’s stores of indole-3-carbinol (I3C). This phytonutrient prevents the fluctuating estrogen levels that can lead to disease-causing cell mutations.
3) Super-speedy metabolism: Crisp cabbage is one of nature’s top sources of the slimming compound sulforaphane. This detoxifying agent naturally boosts the body’s production of myrosinase, an enzyme that flushes fat-trapping toxins from cells and turbocharges metabolism.
4) Produce a deeper sleep: Munching on 1 cup of cabbage before bed can ensure more restful sleep. The magic ingredient: tryptophan. Brain cells use this amino acid to manufacture serotonin. Increased levels of this neurotransmitter prompt sleep-inducing alpha waves in the brain to improve slumber quality.

Here are three recipes that are cabbage friendly:

Asian Beef Stir-Fry Makes 6 servings.

In greased skillet over medium high heat, cook 1 lb. skirt steak, thinly sliced, 3 min., stirring constantly. Remove beef from skillet. In same skillet, combine 1 small cabbage, cored and cubed; 1 red pepper, seeded and cubed, and ¼ lb. snow peas, trimmed. Return beef to skillet; add ¼ cup stir-fry sauce, like House of Tsang Saigon Sizzle.. Cook 2 min. or until hot.

Sweet and Savory Soup Makes 4 servings.

In saucepot over medium-high heat, cook 3 cans (14.5 oz. each) light and fat-free chicken broth; 1 pkg. (16 oz.) coleslaw mix; 1 onion peeled and chopped, and 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped, 5 minutes., stirring occasionally. In bowl of food processor, puree 2 cups mixture 2 min. Return to saucepot; stir to combine. Cook 2 min. more. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped scallions. Serve.

Sesame Slaw: Makes 6 servings.

In bowl, combine 1 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced; 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced, and 1 cup snow peas, halved diagonally. In bowl, stir together 3 scallions, sliced, and 2/3 cup reduced-fat sesame-ginger salad dressing, like Newman’s Own, until blended. Drizzle dressing mixture over coleslaw mixture. Toss to coat evenly. Transfer to serving bowl, if desired. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
Serve.

Tip: Chefs secret: Before tossing outer cabbage leaves, try this tip from Ming Tsai: Rinse the leaves and use them to line the bottom of a steamer basket before tossing in other vegetables. Then discard the leaves before noshing.. This strategy keeps steamed veggies from becoming waterlogged.

Note from Lucy: Hummmmm… maybe that is why the old Cabbage Soup diet worked so well. I love cabbage and now I have even more reasons to eat it. Hope you enjoyed this healthful food lesson, I sure did.

Go check out this blog: http://lovehomemaking.com/2007/09/16/win-an-all-natural-cleaning-and-home-care-guide.aspx and enter a contest to win a book on cleaning with natural products. The book looks awesome and worth a look at.

19 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ Thank you for the info on cabbage. I am fond of it too and like you now have more reason to eat it. Glad you liked the quote about
being careful with the way we spend our money. Take care, Love, Merle.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Well, this could be valuable information. Ron and I both have heart problems and are under cardiologist care. We love cabbage -- but, I do have to inquire how this appeals to others in a crowded room? Doesn't cabbage create a non-appealing condition of flatulance? LOL We'll try it anyway. Thanks!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Yum!! I do love cabbage but seldom cook it actually. Thanks for the info! I also love stir fry!!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! Cabbage is ;ike a Miricle Food!...I don't handle it too well in terms of digestion....BUT, I am going to try to eat more of it, if I can.
THANKS for these helpful tips and the recipes, too!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I love cabbage either cooked or raw. I especially like it stir fried with a little soy sauce at the end. YUM! :-)

Hugs,

Diane

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Susie said...

We love cabbage too. I chop some red cabbage and add that to our dinner salad every night..Adds color and flavor..

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Plus cabbage tastes good - I've always liked it both cooked and in cole slaw. Hmm. I never wrote the word "cole slaw." Cold slaw??

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

I love slaw, and I even have my own homemade recipe. This makes me want to eat it more often. I like the stir-fry recipe you have listed, sounds good, will have to try it.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger sheila from life @ #17 said...

Hi, Miss Lucy :)

first, thanks for droppin' by at #17...and second...I'm sorry...I already entered the cabin give-a-way one time :O

but I promise not to enter any more...and you can enter the re-do contest once...hah!

and I like the sound of that cabbage soup...I will def. give that a try...DH loves cabbage...I can take it or leave it but this sounds interesting...thanks :)

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Wow, Lucy, this is great information about cabbage. I knew it was good for us, but I didn't know how it was good for us.

I certainly plan to include it more in our meals through the week. Right now I focus a lot on broccoli which is related to cabbage. They are both part of the mustard family.

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What awesome info on cabbage and I didn't know any of it. I love cabbage but hubby dont so it's not often I cook it but this could be a reason to cook it more often...thanks for the info!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm a corned beef and cabbage lover, but I truly have never thought of or known about the benefits of eating cabbage.
This post was very informative!!

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad that all that cabbage would make one stinky person.....PU

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger New White Keds said...

Lucy! You rock... I have purple and green cabbage in my fridge hoping to find a slaw recipe. That one sounds yummy and healthy! I am thinking, though, that some bean-o might be called for prior to eating it.

Has anyone else noticed that the bean-o is only really needed when the veggies, like cabbage, are cooked. Raw, there don't seem to be as many problems -- plus you get more of the nutrients when you eat it raw.

What a great post!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ Reading this has given me an appetite! It must be lunch time? ~ jb///

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Cabbage is an important part of the Russian diet. Ironically, Russian men have short life spans, however. I guess this is because the benefits of eating cabbage are offset by the detriments of smoking and drinking

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Just wanted to let you know we are eating a lot of cabbage since you wrote this post. Thanks.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

great info ty Lucy!

I actually learnt alot in one day...thru ur post :)

Keshi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home