Thursday, October 04, 2007

Breakfast muffins……

I have had a rough week with the beginning of allergy season trying to take me down. My glands under my throat and ears have been swollen and my throat and ears have been hurting. I have slept more these last four days than I have in the last two weeks. I haven’t been getting up early to help Bonnie make breakfast or a lunch for school. Yesterday I started feeling a little better so I decided that I would make some breakfast muffins and put them in the freezer. In the morning all you have to do is take out what you want to eat and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds. I have personally tasted both recipes and they are great. I hope you give them a try.

Jumbo Chocolate Muffins
Recipe By : Real Food for Real People Serving Size : 6 Categories : Quick Breads
2 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
2 squares Unsweetened Chocolate -- (1 oz)
1 1/4 cups Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2/3 cup Milk
1 Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare six jumbo muffin cups with paper liners or non-stick cooking spray. In 1-qt. saucepan over very low heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; set aside to cool slightly. In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In small bowl using wire whisk, beat milk, egg, and vanilla to blend well; stir in cooled chocolate mix. Add milk mix to flour mix, stirring until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into muffin cups; bake 30 minutes or until tops spring back. Remove to wire racks to cool. Note from Lucy: I used regular muffin tins cooked them for 18 minutes. I got 12 muffins out of this recipe.

Cream Cheese/Chocolate Chip MuffinsRecipe
By : Real Food for Real PeopleServing Size : 12
5 tablespoons Butter or Margarine -- melted and cooled
2/3 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Salt
8 ounces Cream Cheese -- softened
1 Egg
3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 1/2 cups Flour
3/4 cup Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter,sugar, vanilla, salt, cream cheese, and egg. Mix well. Stir in baking soda and baking powder. Add flour and stir until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill paper-lined or greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until done. Cool.(These muffins freeze very well. This makes them perfect for those rushed mornings when you don't have time to make anything. Just pop into them in the microwave on defrost for 30 seconds, and you have a great breakfast!)

15 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My God, these sound absolutely scrumpyious...! It's a good thing I don't bake anymore cause these would be in my freezer all the time and then right on my hips and a few other places, too! (lol)

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ Great recipes - - but I am watching out for the flour and water
thing !! Thanks for your comments.
I hope you and your husband are keeping well. Take care, Love, Merle.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Midlife Mom said...

Hi,
Thanks for stopping by my place, always good to have new visitors!! Come again soon! Those muffin recipes sound wonderful so I am printing them off for future reference! Yummy! Have been reading down some of your other posts, very interesting. Like all the suggestions for the potato water. I make potato yeast rolls and will use that water instead of just plain warm water and I bet they will be even better. Thanks!!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh my gosh, you've got me going on a craving now...

too bad I'm doing our grocery shopping today! Let's see, unsweetened chocolate, chocolate chips...

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy -- Those muffins sound good. The first one with the egg sounds almost like 'cake.'
I would try them making two batches. One without the cinamin so I could see what that adds. Of course cinamin is good for some of my health problems, this might be a good source for that.

The second one sounds like cake also. But more to my taste than the first with the cream cheese. Again I would use light, or Neufchâtel cheese.

Have a nice day.
..

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

YUM! I bet they would wreak havoc on my waistline though! Ha!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Susie said...

These sound just delish. We have muffins about once a week for brk, so I'm always looking for new ones to try..
PS hope you feel better!
:)

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

It's breakfast-time and I'd love a muffin right now. Those sound so delicious. Wonder how many weight-watcher points they would cost me.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

It's allergy time here in Arkansas too. Hope you're feeling better now...

My hubby would love these chocolate muffins, and so would my daughter Jessica. They're chocolate freaks! ;D

Emmy is feeling a little better. She's improving, but slowly. She didn't have a reaction to the actual shots, she had a virus related to the shots. I've never heard of such a thing, but that's what her doctor said. Weird!

Have a great weekend, Lucy. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I hope you are fully recovered and that the fall allergy season won't be bad for you. I used to suffer terribly with allergies. I had them all my life as well as asthma. I outgrew asthma by the time I finished high school. My allergies are completey gone too. About 12 years ago, I had allergy shots for five years, and I have not suffered with allergies since. They gradually got better over the five years of allergy shots, and I have not taken even so much as an over the counter allergy pill since. It has been amazing! I encourage you to ask your doc about them.

I copied the muffin recipes and saved them in my recipe file. Thanks!!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

My cooking career has actually only started in the last few years. I enjoy being in the kitchen but have never attempted to make muffins. I do have several muffin pans so I guess that and these recipes will be a good start.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Chocolate chips are major, imo. I actually remember the first time I had a chocolate chip muffin, which I think was a novelty then - at a restaurant called the Pewter Pot just outside Boston, long gone I think.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh girl those sound so yummy....sounds much better than my weight watcher muffins I eat...hehe I may just have to try them :)

Hope you're feeling better. I was telling my husband this morning I woke up feeling yucky...yep it's about to be that fun time of the year...

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh girl those sound so yummy....sounds much better than my weight watcher muffins I eat...hehe I may just have to try them :)

Hope you're feeling better. I was telling my husband this morning I woke up feeling yucky...yep it's about to be that fun time of the year...

...let's try this again...sorry for the first one :(

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger seethroughfaith said...

how are you feeling now? better I hope. Thanks for stopping by :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home