Thursday, January 01, 2009

Waanda's Tender and Easy Roast

I found this recipe on Chets website this morning....Yummmmm!

Chet, even though most everything I see says you should thaw meat before preparing, I have been preparing my roast this way for many years -- the whole family really
likes it. I like to use rump roast -- but have also done eye of round roast and occasionally chuck roast for this EASY recipe.

Ingredients:

One frozen roast (rump roast is my preferred type)
3 small cans of cream of mushroom soup
2 envelopes of dried onion soup mix

On Saturday night before I go to bed, I put a frozen roast in my West Bend slow cooker on a low temperature. Mix the cream of mushroom soup and dried onion soup mix
together and pour it over the roast.

On Sunday morning, before I leave for church, I open 2 or 3 cans of whole white potatoes (depending on the number of people who will be eating lunch), drain the liquid off, and put the potatoes in the slow cooker with the roast -- trying to be sure they are all submerged in the gravy.

This makes a VERY tender roast as well as a delicious gravy. When we return from church, the house smells great and lunch is ready.

Note from Lucy: That sounds like too many cans of mushroom soup mix and dried onion soup mix. I am going to try it with 2 cans mushroom soup mix and one Lipton Onion/Mushroom soup mix. Usually, when I cook a roast in my slow cooker, I use 1 package of the onion/mushroom soup mix and it comes out good. I am going to give this a try, this Sunday, and I will give you a report..

Happy New Year Everyone! Tell me what you are hoping for in 2009.

16 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said...

Happy New Year!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Happy Hew Year, Lucy!

I'm not doing anything special for the weekend. It's all about football. Then I rest up on Monday for a return to school on Tuesday. Strangely, I can hardly wait to go back.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

This sounds good. Among the ribeyes and hamburger we gave our kids for Christmas were 4 big, frozen, rump roasts. I'll give them the recipe. Thanks.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Sounds yummy. Be sure and let us know how yours turns out.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

That sounds like one of those recipes you see on the Food Channel. I think I would throw some whole mushrooms in there too. Just because I like mushrooms, not because I know anything about cooking.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Putz said...

so if you had say 47 people at dinner, you would add an extr 35 cans potatos??????

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hoping to to bring home two new daughters...

that recipe sounds delicious.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds very very ummmy...I'l be interested to read how yours comes out with the slight changes....!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

This sounds great...comfort food!! I'll be curious to know how it turned out for you!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Hoping for a better year...period. lol

Hope you had a happy new year.

love, Jess

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger CozyMama said...

dang, I have to try that. i do the roast with taters and carrots and some seasonings but never the soup!! my husband will love it.

Thanks for the comment - I know 5 is a great age. i think my problem is the fact that my 12 yr old was so easy at 5 and now my little guy is so out there that i wonder what the heck happened?? he is such a lover but then one thing goes wrong and watch out. i think he gets that from me, LOL

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Marla said...

Just to let you know that I gave the recipe to my son. He made it and said it was very good. He added fresh mushrooms to his!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Putz said...

i am hopeing you will keep nlogging me through o0=9 and that jim won't get burned up in all that sun

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Ralph said...

Right now I am hoping for some of that roast - it sounds great.
Ralph

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How was it, Lucy? Do tell us!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well, I haven't had a chance to cook it yet, but when I do, I'll let everyone know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home