Friday, February 06, 2009

I think Big Dave is on to something….

I don’t know how many of you read “Big Daves” blog but he enjoys picking up money on the street and in parking lots.…Well, I read a story this morning about a family in New York City that has been collecting found money for three years now and has collect around $ 1,100.00. They go out as a family, take walks and collect pennies and whatever else they can find. When they get home they put it in a big jar and save their new found treasures.

Years ago, when our family was on vacation in Colorado, we were in the town of Silverton walking around. We had taken the train from Durango to Silverton, as our days adventure, and were out seeing the sights… Next thing you know, my son William, was shouting that he had found some money….He happened to look down and found four, one dollar bills…There they were, lying on the ground. He instantly picked them up and proudly showed them to his mom and dad… Well the girls weren’t going to be outdone and they spent the rest of the trip watching the ground…lol. We asked William, what he wanted to do with his new found fortune and he said, “Ice Cream”. I laughed and we all started looking for a place where we could buy some ice cream…. William was happy to part with his found treasure and he treated us all to ice cream, with a little help from his dad.

It is funny how money can burn a hole in a young persons pocket…I wonder how many of us burn holes in our pockets with our hard earned cash…. Are we paying our bills and saving for a rainy day? Do we go out and buy all of the new fangled items on the market? Do you have a spending personality or do you have a saving personality? I have to admit that I have a saving personality and if I spend it, it had better be on sale or marked down……. I am sad to say that William, at the ripe old age of 27 in nine days, still spends his money as fast as he gets it. He is always out of money and has a hard time paying his bills. I know that we did everything in our power to teach him how to use his money but somehow it didn’t take.

Think about you spending habits in this economy and adjust where necessary…

BTW: It has been a really busy week for me, my Uncle died and my sister had surgery…. The funeral went well and I was able to see family that I haven’t seen in a while. Pat’s surgery went very well and she is on the road to recovery…Enough said.

Have a great weekend everyone!

13 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Putz said...

there is nothing in the world i like better than to see money grow and grow and grow, but my wife and son who lives with us bless thre hearts can stand to see it remain money and they figure the higher the pricetag the bigger the value...no bargains couse that means it has less value or why would someone want to get rid of it

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How one spends/saves money is such an individual thing....! And there are so very many reasons why some people save and some people spend....I kind of do both, though I think I am MORE on the saving side. I need to know I have a "cushion" so, I do not ever just spend whatever I make.....

I once found $60. There was absolutekly no way to know who had lost it or how I would be able to return it to whomever. So, I kept it and felt like I had been given a lovely gift! Other than that, I have only found pennies occassionally, on the street...Maybe a Nickle or two...And that has been it!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I picked up 6 pennies on the Wal*mart parking lot yesterday. As my Mama used to say, it takes pennies to make dollars.

I'm somewhere in the middle with my spending habits. It takes all we have to make it and I'm very frugal with my shopping and spending habits.

So far my internet hasn't been off today and the power's stayed on. Hopefully I can put up a post later today, assuming the 'net stays on.

Happy weekend, Lucy!

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Marla said...

I think that everyone needs to save a little. But I think you should spend money and enjoy your life. You can't take it with you when you go!! I am thrifty though, I buy things that are one sale.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy, I am sorry to hear about your uncle. And yes, funerals do generally work as a reuniting device for the family.
Furnerals are also a rejoicing time if the deceased relative is a Christian. Rejoicing in that he/she will no longer suffer and will finally get to see his God in person.

Okay, I'm on the frugal side also. In fact down right tight.
Since Mrs. Jim and I have been married 36 years ago we have not bought a new car. She had one before we were married and I had had two.
There are a lot of other ways but you can still give me some very good hints on your frugal blog.
..

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

First question: Is it "found" money or "lost" money?

My heart is with you for the week you have had.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

What a clever idea. I have been finding money for natly seventy years. I sure wish I had thought of saving it back then, but I didn't know I would be finding more.
I once found a five dollar bill when I was around eight, but my aunt took it away from me. The mean old poop!

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

I guess the good thing is the excercise those folks were getting while looking for money. We've done some walking here on the farm but have only found weeds.
Sorry about the Uncle.
Stay well.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Patty said...

Good morning, thanks for your visit. Sorry to hear about your uncle, glad your sister is doing well.

Perhaps William before he hits 30 will start saving a little more. In this day and age they need to save all they can.

We have five children and so far, I know the fourth one will be taken care of, she has worked and saved and can retire at the ripe old age of 48, she'll have 30 years in with a school system, she started co-oping in her senior year at the local Vocational school, and is now Assistant Treasurer. She said she may work a few years longer but doubts it, will find something to do she really enjoys doing and she has invested her money wisely. Makes you feel good to know one of the five is making sure she will be taken care of.

Again, thanks for stopping by.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle.
It's good news to know your sister is doing well and recovering from surgery.
I've found money before on the ground, as most people have. It makes you excited, even if it's just a dollar bill. I found a twenty dollar bill once in a parking lot with no car or possible owner around. That made me pretty excited. It would be great to find a wad of hundred dollar bills outside somewhere with no possible owner in sight!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I am sorry to hear about your uncle. Isn't it sad that funerals seem to bring family members together? My dad would have loved to have had all 6 of us kids together in one room while he was alive instead of when he was dead. (4 were from his first marriage, and we'd get together but never all 6 of us at one time.)

Happy that your sister is on the road to recovery now!

My husband for years (now my ex) always picked up every penny he could find! My dad always said watch your pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves. I am a saving person myself, but every now and then, I go on a spending spree! Anything for the house! OR the cats! LOL

I lost $40 one night...Had stopped by the ATM and then just tucked it under my leg. Went to the supermarket and forgot all about it. Got inside and went to pay for milk and a few things, no money! I had to write a check. I checked outside my car and even went back to the bank as I had gotten out of my car after I left the ATM area, to make sure my night deposit got all the way in. No money, so I'm sure the finder was very happy to find those two twenty dollar bills! I was sick to my stomach, though! LOL Live and learn!!!

((( HUGS )))

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Lucy,

So sorry to read about your uncle's passing. May he rest in peace.

My best friend Eileen always finds pennies, sometimes even quarters. I found $20 recently, but it was in one of my own pair of pants hanging in my closet. I hadn't worn it in months. I put that $20 in my "mad money" jar.

I am not too great on saving. I do like to go out to dinner with friends and enjoy myself. At my age, I feel I've earned it. But I do buy things on sale, most of the time.

What a neat blog you have here.

Thank you for your visit and nice comment. The past ten days without power, and being bombed by trees, has knocked me for a loop. There is a lot of clean up to still do as well. I live in the woods, and looking at all the "injuted" trees makes me want to cry!

Have a great week!

Renie

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

You're right. I did miss this one. Blame it on jet lag.

Interesting that you should mention my found-on-the-ground exploits. I think I already mentioned how the English appear to be a frugal lot. However, I saw quite a few "coins" on the ground which I thought quite strange. One reason appears to be that their smallest bill is $5 (or pounds), so that you always have too much change in your pocket. Or I did anyway. It's easy to see why some Brits drop a coin here and there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home