Saturday, January 17, 2009

12 ways to slash your medical costs.

This article is written by the dolans.com duo....

If you feel like insurance isn’t quite cutting it and you’ve had to pick up more and more of your medical bills, you’re not alone.

Between dwindling benefits of employer-based health insurance to Medicare/Medicaid woes to the rapidly rising costs themselves…

…we’ve got a true healthcare crisis on our hands!

So what follows are 12 quick tips to help you SLASH your medical costs… starting NOW!

Note from Lucy:
I saw this article and found it appropriate for those in need of health insurance.....I feel very grateful that we have good health care coverage but I know many people who have no coverage or coverage that is not very good....Many of you know my daughter, Bonnie, has gone back to school to get her degree in engineering. For the last two years she has not had any medical coverage....I told her, in a joking way, not to get sick or get into an accident. (She did have to go to the doctors office two times in those two years.) Now that she has signed up for the big university, she has some medical coverage....She called me yesterday and told me that she has an appointment for a well woman exam.....I am so grateful that she stayed mostly well while she had no coverage...and I feel relieved that she does have some coverage now. You can bet that I will be passing this along to her.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

7 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Putz said...

lucy i am probably wrong but the way i reduce bills is to completley avoid doctors, drug stores, dentists and hospitals. i will probably regret this someday, but i have found i can live with dental pain, sinus pain diabetic listlessness, heat colestrial problems quite well by pretending they don't occur...i just raise my thresh hold of pain or discomfirt and litterallly fight through the criseses, and i get priesthood blessings a lot...but right now i have an earacke and of course tiredness from my diabetis, but i get on my computer and it all seems to be standable

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Marla said...

I have a daughter that has no coverage, and she is a sick person. She can't get any help with anything and I can't afford to help her with everything, I do what I can. It is such a worry, because she is sick alot and I see her failing, it is so frustrating. There is some group trying to help her get some kind of help. She has many issues, and can't even work and she is only 29.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I was without insurance for several years and went without medical care for the most part. I only went to the Dr. when it was a dire situation.

Of course now that I have insurance again it's not the best. They don't cover many things and have higher deductibles and copays. Still, it's better than nothing.

Hope y'all have a great weekend, Lucy. :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

We have decent medical insurance, but we had to go for a couple of years without any health insurance for our family. We did not incur any huge bills during that time. Whew! I went to get my yearly female exam while we had no coverage, and the doctor allowed me to make monthly payments to pay off the pap smear and other tests. It really made it easier.
I'm glad Bonnie has some coverage now, and that she has remained healthy.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Yes I'm happy that Bonnie didn't have a major episode while without insurance.
The tips were worthwhile. Good website.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Jess said...

This was very informative...

Have a great week
Love, Jess

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#6 on the Dolan's list was to get ones prescriptions filled on a 90-day basis to avoid co-pay, and later they mentioned generic drugs, but what about the offers some, like WalMart, are making of one-price generic drugs? Some folks can beat their co-pay for one 3-month supply by purchasing from the $4 drug list monthly via such an offer.

And I saw nowhere on the Dolans' list the number 1 way to get the best health cost deals: stay healthy. Yeh, sounds obvious, doesn't it? But preventive care can pay large dividends in lower health costs. Eat right, exercise moderately, sleep well, for a start. Be "body conscious" enough to catch things early when small (inexpensive)interventions can make a big difference.

Learn to live with some pains. Growing older isn't without its price, and some aches and pains are inevitable and the underlying causes aren't necessarily ameliorated by expensive medical intervention. Just learning to live with some pain or inconvenience can save thousands. I'd not go so far as "ignore those chest pains" or "live with incipient diabetic coma" or such like. *heh* Doing such things is just asking for more (and more expensive) trouble down the road.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home