Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How Far Can a Germ Fly?

Given the presence of the H1N1 (swine flu) virus, chances are this year’s flu season will be fraught with more worry than usual, including continuing debate on how it is spread. Many people know that the virus travels via contact with germ-laden mucus that has been sneezed or coughed out. However, in speaking with Mark Nicas, PhD, MPH, CIH, adjunct professor of industrial hygiene in the School of Public Health at the University of California, Berkeley, who has made a specialty of studying this particular form of transmission, I was surprised to discover how far those little particles can travel.

SALIVA AND MUCUS SPREAD DISEASE

Dr. Nicas’s research primarily centers on building mathematical models of what he calls "the exposure intensity of contaminants in air," which -- when it comes to microbes including the H1N1 virus as well as other viruses, bacteria, molds, and fungal spores -- means studying things like "droplet spray," a nicely euphemistic term for the particles that get coughed or sneezed into the air.

The basics of this research make sense: Larger particles settle out quickly and in limited space, says Dr. Nicas, typically within three feet of origination. In contrast, the smaller particles disperse throughout the room and can be inhaled deeply into the lungs -- and the viruses in these small airborne particles can survive for hours and are able to travel from room to room. If you aren’t blessed with a particularly robust immune system, this can and does lead to increased likelihood of exposure and infection. In Dr. Nicas’s educated opinion, many public health messages have under-stated the risk of infection via the inhalation route.

"If you’re dealing with a new influenza strain such as swine flu," Dr. Nicas told me, "you have to treat all types of exposure pathways as important. There’s no reason to believe that direct droplet spray exposure [meaning you’re at relatively close contact and a particle hits you in the eye or mouth] and hand contact are the only pathways -- inhalation is another and probably even more powerful one."

WHAT THE DOCTOR DOES

I asked Dr. Nicas what measures he personally takes to protect himself and his family during flu season. He washes his hands frequently and avoids touching his nose, mouth and eyes until he’s had an opportunity to wash his hands first. His knowledge of the power of airborne particles has prompted him to minimize the time he spends in crowded venues during the height of flu season, although he says that urban living makes it impractical to always avoid crowded places. Thus far, he is not wearing a respirator mask -- but, he says, if the novel H1N1 virus or any other infectious agent proves to have a high mortality rate, he would consider taking that step as well.

Note from Lucy: I thought this was a good article about how germs get around...With flu season upon us it is important to make sure you build your immune system so that you can fight off these germs.... If anyone is interested, I have a recipe for a flu tonic that would help fight off the flu and build your immune system...

Source(s):

Mark Nicas, PhD, MPH, CIH, adjunct professor of industrial hygiene, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley.

9 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I've become the hand washing police at our house. Got everyone washing all the time. Especially when they get home from school!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Well, not only do I wash frequently, I carry Purell disinfectant with me everywhere and use it all the time. But if that germ, coming from someone infected's cough or sneeze, and lives for some time in the air, well, a mask would be the only protection, I guess.

So, Lucy, why don't you post your concoction? I would be intrested in getting the recipe. Thanks!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Yep I have been preaching hand washing to Emmy and Jason....at work we have had soooo many classes and lectures on the flu. Whew...i'm a walking fact book and didnt realize it until i was finishing these sentences in your post.


Great one Lucy.

Love, Jess

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I'm interested in your remedy also. I read some time back that Blackberry Brandy is good when you have the flu also. I believe the blackberries alone would be good too and have encouraged my girls to pick and freeze a lot of them.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Misty, I am doing more hand washing around here too...

Renie, I have already bought some N95 face masks to use if I have too...

Jessica, with working at that hospital, I bet you are a walking fact book....lol.

Beverly, I guess I better post my recipe....I love blackberries... In fact I will be buying 30 lbs. of frozen IQF blackberries next week.... They come from your neck of the woods..

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Beverly, I found a recipe using Elderberries but not one with blackberries.... Email me at: lucy.stern@gmail.com and I will sent it to you...

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Putz said...

i stay at home and have no contact with humans, dogs, cats, mice, or birds, or pigs...head under my pillow and i watch to make sure germs don't enter my house,,,i am eating only stuff from my own garden and things we have canned ourselfs and no other precautions

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Putz said...

could i catch the flu from blogging to people who have the flu???????????

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Better listen to Lucy, this information is nothing to sneeze at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home