Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Natural Tonic for flu and colds......

Here is what the lady with the recipe wrote in her book:
This version of what I consider the single best natural tonic for colds, flu, and other acute illnesses comes courtesy of Jamie, a woman who shared it with me in early 2004 when the Asian Bird Flu scare first started keeping a lot of people awake at night. Near as I can tell, the original recipe for this Natural Tonic is based on a plague tonic that's over a hundred years old. Apparently this traditional formulation - which perhaps has its roots in the famous Four Thieves Vinegar from medieval times - was later refined and updated by herbalists John Christopher and Richard Schulze, among others....

Regardless of its derivation, I know you'll consider the Natural Tonic a fine addition to your health arsenal and I encourage you to share its formula with friends and loved ones. In these scary times, it just plain makes good sense to have a powerful and traditional home remedy in your kitchen cabinet - even if you believe in flu shots.

Here's the recipe:
1 white onion, peeled and cut into quarters
1 entire head of garlic, peeled
4 red hot chile peppers, stems removed, chopped (handle with care).
4" horseradish root, peeled and chopped
4" ginger root, peeled and chopped
Approximately 1 quart un-pasteurized apple cider vinegar (Braggs is good)

Put all ingredients in a blender, cover with un-pasteurized apple cider vinegar. Puree. ( Keep the blender going for a while to make sure it is pureed really good.) I keep adding vinegar till the blender won't take any more. Bottle in a glass container and store in a cupboard at room temperature. Adults should take two tablespoons morning and night at the first sign of a cold or flu.

Note from Lucy: I have more information about this tonic and others if you will email me, I will send it to you...I have to tell you that this tonic is hard to stomach, but it works! Try not to take it on an empty stomach and as you use the tonic, add some more vinegar to the bottle and gently shake. This tonic is extremely powerful because all the ingredients are fresh. It's power should not be underestimated. The tonic stimulates maximum blood circulation, while putting the best detoxifying natural ingredients into the blood. This formula is not just for the sniffles, it may even help turn around deadly infections like some of the new mutated killer viruses that defy conventional antibiotics. Dose: 1 to 2 tablespoons two or more times daily. Swish in mouth and do not dilute with water.... Because it's composed entirely of natural foods, the tonic , unlike prescription drugs, is not toxic... Make up plenty as it does not need refrigeration and lasts indefinitely without and special storage conditions.

Ingredient properties:
Garlic cloves (anti bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-parasitical).
White onion or hottest onions available (similar properties to garlic).
Ginger root ( increases circulatin to the extremities).
Horseradish root (increases blood flow to the head).
Cayenne Peppers or the hottest peppers available, i.e. Habanero, African Bird, or Scotch Bonnets, etc. (a great blood stimulant).

15 Comments:

At 2:54 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I never knew my Grandmother, Mom's mom. She died when Mom was seven from the flu in 1918. Back then people were taking home remedies and when the flue epidemic hit she died. Mom had it first, bringing it home from school.

SO I WOULD NEVER TAKE A HOME REMEDY FOR THE FLU EVEN THOUGH I AM NOW OLD ENOUGH TO DIE. Grandma really wasn't.
..

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Thank you for the tonic recipe, Lucy. I will see if I can find all the ingrdients, later today. I'm not certain if horseradish root is available around here. We'll see. Thanks again!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Very interesting. We really have to be desperate to mix that stuff up and then take it. So far our flu shots have worked well for us each year.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jim, The flu back in 1918 was an especially bad one.... It killed thousands of people.... The condition of your immune system and if you have any other complications, determines how you will handle any flu.... I have never had a flu shot and never will. When they had the pandemic back in the 1970's, more people died from the flu shot than they did from the flu....There was an agent that caused nerve damage called Squarlene. (I don't think I spelled that right.) I read a story on a news website that said that an email, spent by the government, was sent to neurologists that their could be problems with the swine flu virus since it still had Squarlene in it. What I am trying to say is, that I'm not taking the shot...Nope not me.. I will take my chances with the flu tonic. A friend of mine got the flu in early August, I made her some tonic and took it over,,,She swears by it..

Renie, send me an email and I will get more information about this tonic to you. I didn't have that hard of time finding the horseradish but I live in a big city.

Annie, good luck with the flu shot...Each to their own.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Putz said...

balderdash on both the home remedy and the flu shot, thank god i am old enough not to get the swine flu shot, seems to be emphasizeing younguns

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Jahn said...

I'd much rather try this tonic than the flu shot. At least I know what's in this.

Of course, one might want to have a couple of rolls of Certs on-hand...


Just sayin'.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, the tonic is hard to stomach but it is worth a try.... I think Bonnie would rather die than try it...lol

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

With those ingredients it sounds like it'd sure get your attention!!
I'd say it would be good for what ails you if you could stomach it.

I always take the flu shot (was too scared to take it for years), but it greatly helped ward off the many colds I always had before getting it, so I have always gotten it since. I will not take the swine flu shot though.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

I'm guessing that the most effective thing about the potient is that it keeps people a fair distance away thereby cutting down your chances of cathcing something.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I've been increasingly interested in using foods, herbs and spices to help my families health. THanks for the recipe.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Rachel - I hope you get a chance to try it....

Cliff - LOL. Come on' give it a try..... Maybe you have stumbled on the the real reason it works...lol.

Misty - Me too..Your welcome.

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I posted a recipe for Kill a Bug Flu Juice over at my Blog.

http://thebarberbunch.blogspot.com/2009/10/kill-bug-flu-juice.html

Nice Blog. Keep up the good work!

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used this remedy last winter and was healthy all season. I used organic ingredients (to avoid pesticides) and slightly less hot pepper than called for. I take a small amount (half a shot) when I get a cold or flu or feel symptoms coming on. It's strong stuff. I usually drink or eat something soothing right after drinking it.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Tikva Adler said...

I got the H1N1 shot earlier this year because I'm pregnant and got paranoid... but this morning I woke up with a really bad cold so I'm using this tonic. We made some last year and it has kept in a large mason jar, in exactly the same condition as the day we made it because NOTHING can live inside this mixture of doom!

I'm already getting better. This stuff works every time, and is fantastic if you don't mind the taste (I think it tastes pretty good, but maybe that's just the pregnancy talking!)

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to put my hand up as someone for whom this has worked BRILLIANTLY.

I have to sing in a concert in three days' time, and have only been taking this for 24 hours, but it has still been enough to knock the inflammation almost entirely out of my throat and I'm just a bit stuffed-up in the nose now.

Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home