Friday, October 30, 2009

Easy Indoor Storm Window

From the Dollar Stretcher Website....

To help reduce our winter heating bills, I further insulate our windows by sewing a simple panel of white polar fleece fabric and hanging it on a tension rod in the window. Fabric stores often have polar fleece for 50% off and it takes very little for each window.

You simply cut a panel slightly wider than your window and about 4 inches longer than the window. Then you sew a pocket across the top to hold the tension rod. No fancy finishing needed. If you don't sew, you can cut the panel and then fold it over the tension rod and fasten with safety pins.

By putting this between your window glass and window drapes, it adds another layer of warmth. When the season is over, simply lay the panels flat and store between your mattress and box spring! Betsy H. in Texas

Check out this webpage for many more ideas on Winter Proofing your windows...
Winter Drafts

Have a great weekend everyone!

11 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Jahn said...

Nice. Now that I've got my sewing machine back out of storage, maybe I can make one of those. Or two.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, you will be surprised how well they work....

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Maybe I should put something like that up in Adalynn's room. Her room gets so cold in the winter and so hot in the summer!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That's a great tip. I doubt I will do it though, but I really should.
It's been raining like crazy lately, but our weekend ahead it supposed to be sunny. I've been munching now and then (for the last month) on Halloween candy. I think I better go buy some more for the kids!
I hope all has been well with you and your family lately. I don't have a new blog post up, but I will probably put something up this weekend.
Fall is here now. It goes away too quickly! Enjoy it while it's here.
:-)

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Marilyn made these many years ago and hung them in two of our bedrooms. Back then they were called 'warm windows.' She went so far as to install lines and rings so they could be pulled up. They folded as they went up. They really helped. They also blackened the room. Guests would complain they slept too late because they didn't see any light.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I wish I'd seen this when I was in the old house! I had some drafty windows in there! I used plastic stuff to seal but without trim around the windows it was difficult. Looked into sewing "warm windows" curtains but those are pricey. I'll keep this in mind if I need them here.
THANK YOU!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Great idea. I should do this for the upstairs windows for sure. I have double pane windows throughout and need to have light in my house so wouldn't do it downstairs.
Thanks for the tip.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Ok, Everyone, check out the other ideas listed on the link... It gives several ways to do the same thing using different materials....

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Hi Lucy...hope all is well.

have a great rest of the week.

love, jess

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Lucy, this works good. We have Venetian blinds, which when shut, do the same thing.
You should feel how hot (or cold) it is between the window and the closed blind.
..
Dadiddydit dadidada dit/bye/ dadadiddydit diddydidada/73
..

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My hubby will take a screen frame and wrap it with Saran wrap, and stick that in our window so we can still see out, but it creates a "dead air" space that helps keep our heat in. We live in a very old farmhouse with ORIGINAL windowglass in it (like, from the turn of the century) and it helps a LOT. :)

Thanks for the reminder... we need to do some winterizing this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home