Friday, September 09, 2005

A Personal Story from a Shelter Worker…

I read this story earlier today and felt like I was getting a bird’s eye view of what is going on in a shelter in San Antonio, Texas. This woman is a volunteer Red Cross worker and mother of seven children, yet she still finds time to work 12 hours shifts with the Hurricane evacuees. I cried but felt good about the news she was telling. I think we can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel for these people. It’s a new beginning for them and I wish them well.

I just want everyone to know that I am totally impressed with the American Red Cross.. They are doing a top notch job of caring for the evacuees. They get an “A” for all their good work and I applaud all their efforts. I’m not so impressed with FEMA who has shown very little organization through out this whole ordeal. Some heads need to roll over at FEMA. I found this article, about their lack of disaster skills/experience, this morning and it made me shake my head in disgust. Check here to see what our local church unit is doing to help the hurricane evacuees.

One more thing…..To whoever left those people in the nursing home to die, I hope they find you and hang you high.

Update: Here is another story about a six year old boy who rescued six children, all younger than he was. He had the hand of God protecting him.

15 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Evey said...

I saw that about the nursing home on the news last night. Chris was flicking channels and we got the story. How horrfiying that they didnt evacuate those people when there was still plenty of time! Heartbreaking!

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is what puzzles me the most, you can't force anyone to leave, but why wouldn't you make plans for people in the hospital and nursing homes?

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

That's the point...They just left them there, in the case of the nursing home. It's inhuman.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Tammy Williams said...

The entire coverage is a little too disturbing for me. I tend to get wound up in events like this: Columbine, 911, Oklahoma Bombing. I decided to turn off the TV this time, in hopes that it would all go away, but I guess it never really does. Life will change for everyone involved and it's sad to see so many suffering.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Yes Lucy, I agree with you. There is so much love being shown, and I am indeed very proud of the Red Cross here in Texas. The Red Cross is where we seen our donations, and no where else.

There are so many sad and bad things, I am overwhelmed ... these days I cling to happy stories for a balance.

Thank you so very much for sharing this.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger PBS said...

It's hard to watch the news, but a good reminder that these are real people, with real lives.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

The American Red Cross is awesome!

As Americans, we know, with certainty, that we can count on them.

That is a wonderful story, Lucy.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

oh my that was a tear jerker. thanks for sharing!!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Thanks for the links. They're necessary reads, but are vital to really understand what's happening.

I'm putting together some of the more interesting stories for my students; I'll include these.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I agree with you, that we must believe that all of our loved ones are in God's hands, being protected.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger The probligo said...

"One more thing…..To whoever left those people in the nursing home to die, I hope they find you and hang you high."

This was covered in the news down here. As it has been told, the rest home was visited by rescue personnel about 6 hours prior to the storm getting real bad. The owner told them (fairly strongly according to the story) to leave and they would see the storm out.

The rescue teams that came in after the storm found the owner among the casualties.

Stubbornness or stupidity? You can really know?

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Joy said...

thanks for the stories.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

The amazing stories keep growing. Thanks for the links.
Lois Lane

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger The probligo said...

Hmm, Lucy. The instance you referred to has (at last) been reported down here...

Along with the owners being charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Probligo, That's the one I meant. This morning I read where several other nursing homes have had deaths reported. I don't think any charges have been filed in those yet. They are investigating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home