Tuesday, September 06, 2005

What did you do on your Labor day?

To start a couple of days earlier…..We emptied the water bed on Saturday and it took about 4 hours to get all the water out. I am so glad that is all done. The bedroom is basically empty now, and ready to paint, before the carpet comes and then the new bed. This is a lot of work! I have sorted, thrown away, given away so much “stuff” that somehow fit into that room. I cleaned out my closet of clothes that I will never fit into again, got rid of old shoes and found the floor. It really is off white. My emotions have been like a roller coaster with all that is going on with Katrina and also trying to get things ready in my bedroom……My husband and I are now sleeping in Bonnie’s room while she is on the road on her work assignments. Her bed is really different and much smaller. Probably by the time I get used to it, our bed will get here.

Today, Labor day, I woke early because my cat was climbing all over me, meowing….”feed me…I’m hungry”. She doesn’t give up till you get up. I got out of bed and went down stairs and fed all the animals. By 9:00am. I was out the door and over to Krogers to pick up day old bakery items for our food pantry. They were closed today because of Labor day, so I was told to give it away. I met two friends who were working with different hurricane shelters and let them take the bread. I visited with the receptionist at our Bishop’s storehouse and learned all that has been going on with the hurricane aid for our church. Off to Wall Mart to buy red potatoes for a hot potato salad. By 1:30pm. the hot potato salad and I made it over to a friends house for barbeque. Her son was leaving to go back to his military base and then on to Iraq in two weeks. We were there for a proper send off. His military unit will be relieving the unit that his brother is in. One son is going and one son is coming home. The trees in front of her house have big yellow ribbons tied around them and everyone in the neighborhood knows about the boys. It was a good afternoon of socializing and wishing our young friend off. The rest of the day was filled with shopping at Lowe’s for painting supplies and the Astros baseball game on TV. There was time for reading blogs. A nice day.

My thoughts were full with the events of the past week. I thank my Heavenly Father for so many blessings. We were spared the wrath of the Hurricane; it didn’t miss us by much. We are able to help those who did get hit in many ways. We have some good friends, with sons, who are willing to go off to war to protect our way of life and our freedoms. We have a roof over our head and food on our table and a family that loves us. We have a thriving business that pays our bills and we have plenty for our needs. We have our aches and pains, but we are healthy. We live in a country where we can practice our own religion and not be persecuted for it. We have plenty to share with others. What more can a person ask for. As I think of this Labor Day, I am grateful for Labor. Hope you all had a good day.

15 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Joy said...

not to ignore the situation of new orleans, but hot potato salad? I love that stuff. How do you prepare it?

Its amazing to see and hear about the relief efforts. I was just reading what friends in Utah are doing right now, and DC is receiving 400-500 people this week.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Joy said...

Oh, I went to the beach, cleaned up the beach home, rode back to DC,(3.79 was the highest gas price but it was as low as 2.99), made it back without any problems.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

We had family come over from out of down, and drove to visit family, and went out to eat.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

I did a lot of baking for the grandchildren ... had a good talk with my husband about growing old ... washed the dishes, and put up some film on the patio windows to help with the light bill ... I visited a few blogs ... and gave thanks for the joys in my life.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger pappy said...

Worked, hospital dosn,t close for labor day, but I would rather take care of patienta then empty water bed,and paint a room. You girls work to hard

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got my youngest two kids ready for school, had a bbq, did some gardening, tried to have some down time before the winter sports season kicks in and i'm out every night at the pool

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Thanks for stopping by my place. My Labor Day was spent at work--but it was an overall good day.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Not only do you have a unique perspective on this geographically, but I enjoy your overall one as well.

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger ~Jan said...

When my own precious kitty is hungry in the wee hours of the morning, she pounces onto me, and kneads her little paws into my soft parts until I can no longer ignore her, purring prettily. She is never quite so fetching during daytime hours.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I spent the weekend with my family. We went to the mountains for a little while it was nice.

You can rent pumps to drain waterbeds. It does the job in no time at all!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Our three kids were with other families for a few days. It just worked out that they were all invited to out-of-town trips, then we all reassembled for a Monday family feast.

So - ours was very relaxing.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger PBS said...

I saw my brother and his family that weekend. Hadn't seen them since Christmas.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Janet said...

This was a surreal and somber Labor Day. I still feel guilty going about my daily life with all that is going on sometimes.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

I will never let a customer complain about trivial things again. They whine, then ask me how I am. I say, "I'm great...I don't live in New Orleans...sorta puts your problems in perspective, doesn't it?" Without fail, they have all shut up!

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Amen Lucy, we have so much to be thankful for!

My heart and prayers go out to the people affected by the hurricane, but even in the aftermath of all this, I can see God's hand moving and working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home