Thursday, October 27, 2005

Ahhhhhh….Pumpkin

I was thinking about Halloween today and how different it is these days. When I was a kid, everyone on the block went trick or treating. Mom and dad at stayed home and handed out the candy. My sisters, brother and I would dress up in our costumes and head down the street. Kids were everywhere and they felt safe when they went out. We had little paper bags to put our candy in. When the bags got full we would go home, sort thru the bags, and give mom the candy we didn’t like so she could give it out. We had so much fun. Back in those days you didn’t have to worry about kidnappings, tainted candy and etc.

When I was a little older everything changed. A young boy died, on Halloween, from a poisoned pixie stick. It turned out that the child was poisoned by his own dad, Ronald Clark O’Brien. How can a father kill his own son for Insurance money? This man lived in a suburb of our town and the story made National Headlines. Mr. O’Brien was sentenced to life in prison. Halloween was never the same after that. No longer could people hand out home made cookies or Carmel apples. Pixie Sticks were rarely seen again. It became common knowledge that you could take your Halloween candy to the hospital and have it x-rayed.

Now days children don’t trick or treat by themselves, parents are seen walking a short distance away. People are advised to take their children to houses of neighbors they know and trust. In the last several years, we have seen more church parties and carnivals. Individually wrapped candy is the advised way to go. Don’t forget to carry that flashlight or wear a light stick. It would be terrible if one of the children got run over. Yes, Halloween is definitely different! I think I liked it better in the old days.

Did you know: 25% of the candy made each year – almost two billion dollars’ worth – is sold for Halloween. 90% of parents admit to dipping into their kids’ trick-or-treat bag.
What is a ghost’s favorite article of clothing? ….Boo jeans!

Did you know? One cup of canned pumpkin provides:
448% of your daily vitamin A - 16% of your daily vitamin C - 40% of your daily fiber - 28% of your daily potassium - 8% of your daily calcium - 7% of your daily iron

Lackluster complexion: Try a Pumpkin Mask! Why: Vitamins and antioxidants in pumpkin smooth and heal skin, as well as brighten the surface. To do: Mix 1 cup canned mashed pumpkin with 2/3 cup mashed papaya (it contains the enzyme papain, which dissolves oil and dead skin cells). Apply to clean, dry face. Leave on 10 minutes: rinse with warm water.

Blemishes and clogged pores: Try: Pumpkin Scrub! Why: Pumpkin contains beta carotene, a natural exfoliant that refines pores and helps prevent breakouts. To Do: Mix 1 cup canned mashed pumpkin with 1/3 cup cranberry juice (no sugar added) and massage over face with fingertips. Rinse with tepid water and pat dry.

Fines Lines? Try: Pumpkin Honey Facial! Why: Pumpkin provides vitamins that restore elasticity and rebuild collagen for youthful skin. To Do: Mix 1 cup canned mashed pumpkin with 1 teaspoon honey and 1 beaten egg and apply with fingers or a brush. Lie down and place a warm wet washcloth over face and relax 5 minutes. Rinse with tepid water and pat dry.

Dry Skin? Try: Pumpkin Body Polish! Why: Pumpkin’s enzymes help peel, exfoliate and rejuvenate dull, tired skin. To Do: Mix ½ cup canned mashed pumpkin with ½ cup brown sugar. Massage onto rough spots like elbows and knees while in the shower, then turn water on to rinse.

Recipes from Women’s World magazine 10-25-05

19 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Cool Dad said...

Lucy, I think I'll pass on the pumpkin mask or the scrub, but I have to agree with you on the state of Halloween. We have church sponsored activities where everyone goes to the church parking lot and gives candy out of the trunks of their cars. Not really the same as when I was a kid, for sure.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love pumpkin, muffins, bread, pie, soup...
i too remember when you could go trick or treating without your parents, it has become a sad world where we now live, but i can also remember when my dad used to smoke in the doctors office and as kids, we had no sealbets in our cars, so, sometimes change is good
enjoy your halloween!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Kerry M. Conway said...

hello there love! thanks for commenting on me blog recently! sorry i've taking such a time at swinging by your blog-i am a busy lady these days.

oh boy! suddenly i want a slice of pumkin pie and a hot cup of tea! yummie!

thanks for sharing of off this information-i had no idea that the pumkin was such a treasure in our daily lives.

your friend,

kerry

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I think our neighborhood tries hard to make Halloween like it used to be. There are parties and the like, but we have trick-or-treaters in droves as well.

That is so sick and sad about that father. And somehow he escaped the death penalty in Texas there. Too bad.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I do recall some wonderful times as a child when we made our own costumes and went trick or treating.

It is such a shame that the true fear of Halloween has to be found from the hands of sick minded people.

My grown children only let their children go to a few known people in their own neighborhood and as for the candy...they always buy single wrapped candy.

Most of the candy my grandchildren receive are from their own parents...that way it is candy they like and also the parents feel safe for them to eat it.

That was some interesting things you posted about uses for pumpkins.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Trick or treating has changed indeed.


A pumpkin facial sounds devine.
Thank you for sharing! You have such great recipes for muffins, shakes, diet stuff.

Thank you.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Fred said...

You and I are obviously from the same era. Our neighborhood was the same way - kids everywhere with no safety problems.

Pumpkin facial? Yuck.

Have a great week.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger PBS said...

I never was allowed to go trick or treating as a kid. And the scares were already in place by the time my son went. The safe "olden days" sound more fun.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Katie said...

it was diff when i was little...i wont let my son go out by him self when he is older....i don't know how "some" people can be so mean....i'm takeing Colby to our old street we lived on when i was little. i know everyone and i trust them. its sad that you have to worry so much about little things now days.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

i had know idea how good pumpkin is for the body

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

We used to have a great time running around the neighborhood on Halloween. Now we take our kids to the mall. You just don't know about people these days.

For some reason I'm craving pumpkin now....gotta go!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

I had the same kind of Halloween that you describe -- so did my kids, come to think of it -- and the neighborhood I live in is like going back 30 years. I would normally have lots of kids at the door, but it's raining - REALLY raining -- so it looks like they'll be cheated out of their candy tonight. (And I'll have to eat all that chocolate!)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

That's what I look forward to in eventual parenthood, stealing the kids' candy.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Great post. Pass over the pumpkin pie!

*

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

You are so right that Halloween is different today. And my mom also blatantly "dipped" into my bag--she got first dibs, actually.

I love the pumpkin tips.

Easy Pumpkin Muffins
1 can of pumpkin
mixed with
1 box of chocolate cake mix
(no other ingredients)
Bake according to cupcake instructions.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Tammy Williams said...

I will stick to my vitamins everyday. I agree with you on the halloween issue though. I was explaining to my husband last night that I went trick or treating by myself all the time when I was little. He was shocked because his parents ALWAYS went with him. I guess it was different in Canada back in those days. However, the same applies in Canada now: people are being so much safer on Halloween night.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Hey Lucy, a bit off topic here but I made some of those gingerbread ornaments and they are so cool. You're right, they smell awesome! My little girl and I really had a blast rolling them out, we're going to decorate them this weekend after they are dry. Thanks for the great idea!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

godlessmom, Glad you had success with the Cinnamon ornaments. They are alot of fun to make.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

oh wow. Now I am so very depressed. That story just makes me sick. What a hateful evil person. To plan something like that! For any reason! I don't care how long ago it happened, it is just terrible.
long drawn out sigh.

We take our kids trick or treating. We just do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home