Tuesday, December 27, 2005

He was one of God’s special children…..

I went to a funeral service today. A friend of mine had a son who, was born 4 weeks early, with lung problems. They lived in a small town in Oklahoma at the time and the hospital did not have the facilities to adequately care for him. They had to rush him, in an ambulance, to a hospital 20 minutes away and during that time he lost critical oxygen to his brain. At his death, last Wednesday, Dec. 21st , he was 41 years old. He weighed 55 lbs. and his body was all twisted up. His legs were pulled in and his right arm lay scrunched up next to the side of his body. They said his mental capacity was that of a 14 to 18 month child. He lived with his parents till he was six years old and then they had to place him in a facility that could give him round the clock care. He never walked or talked.. He could wave his left arm and he always had a smile on his face. Many people loved and cared for this young man. He was one of Heavenly Father’s special children.

Many family and friends attended the service. It was very uplifting. Jack Hecker gave an absolutely wonder talk. He talked about Jimmy standing uprightly before God. As usual, I had tears running down my cheeks. I can’t get thru a funeral or a wedding without crying. I guess, what I am feeling right now, is the absolute power of God in my life. I have great faith that someday I will be able to live with him in the eternities. I know that he is a caring God and we have so much to learn while we are here on this earth, which is a proving ground. We learn about sorrow, pain, love and joy. We learn to treasure what life we have and to live it to it’s fullest in a pleasing manner to God. Jimmy was able to teach others about love. Even though my friend is sad with the loss of her son, she knows he is in a better place and with God himself. My whole day is brightened just knowing that….

Now on a different note: I had a great Christmas. TF, Bonnie and I started out the day at church. Around 1:00pm . Jennifer, Justin, JJ and baby Jocelyne came over to open gifts with us. William was up by then and we were ready to share. The family settled in to play with their new toys and listen to the new Paul Simon CD’s. I worked in the kitchen cooking a ham, green bean casserole and yam casserole to take to my sister’s house around 5:00pm.. We had a feast at Pat’s with my entire family in attendance. We ate, exchanged gifts, laughed, and just had a good time in general. Around 8:00pm. we headed home. I put away the leftovers and headed to the couch to RELAX…. It was a great day!

One funny note: As many of you know, I made 4 recipes of Ginger Bread cookies, 2 giant batches of “Neiman Marcus” cookies, some chocolate cookies, and two double batches of fudge for this years gift giving. TF took it on himself to test about 1/3rd of the cookies. Every time I would turn around, I would see him with another glass of milk and a plate of cookies. I would remind him that I did not make all those cookies for him. I actually had to hide the cookies so he would not devour them all by himself. We did manage to give away about 18 plates of goodies and four little baskets of cookies and fudge. That does not count all the ginger bread cookies that I shipped out via the post office and UPS.


Today’s Recipe: Speedy Ziti with Zesty Chicken:
http://www.recipesecrets.net/dailydish/r79.htm

21 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

How terribly sad, yet uplifting at the same time. God definately has a plan for all of us :)

Gald you had a great Chrsitmas :o)

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow, that was sad and something to think about.."Jimmy standing uprightly before God." Our God is indeed an awesome God and I do think we go thru life lessons, that everything that happens to us and around us should teach us something about others, about God and about ourselves.

Thanks for this post, it made me stop and think.

Also that sure was alot of baking. You must be plum tuckered out!! I know I am and I didn't even attempt to bake all that!

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

michelle, It is sad but uplifting at the same time.

live, love, laugh - I do think we are put on this earth for a reason, to teach others as well as learn for ourselves. And yes, that was a lot of baking. It took several days of work, but I had fun doing it.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Fred said...

I agree with LLL up there, the quote is great. There's been a tremendous amount of media coverage here for Tony Dungy's son who committed suicide; it's got to be painful no matter what the circumstances are.

Glad you had a good Christmas. Our was great, too.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Martin said...

I honestly believe that he was placed here for a reason and taken when he was needed. The Lord has his own plan we aren't entirely privy to.

That ziti recipe already is making me hungry.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am so sorry for your friend's unimaginable loss. There is comfort in belief and faith. May she find peace soon.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Sheryl said...

Sorry for your friends, and at least he is now whole! It's amazing what God can do.

I made your gingerbread cookie recipe (my first time ever) and they were loved.. by many! Thanks!

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are there any houses for sale next to you? cause I"M MOVIN IN.

i have that recipe for the neiman marcus cookies too. i tweeked it, and make them with white chocolate for a friend of mine who hates chocolate. the white chocolate ones are devineeeeeeee

thanks for popping into my blog, guess i've seen your around here and there, so maybe i'll see you again, since we'll be neighbors and all, hey, when i move in can you bring me a plate of goodies? thanks

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps, i too am sorry to hear about your friends son, but not sorry for him, because he is partying it up right now, and having the time of his life, but it's hard for the ones that get left behind. I'm sorry it made you cry, and i hope you get cheered up soon.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

How truly sad, and I am sorry for your friend's lost.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Isn't it ironic that those we call handicapped, or some other label that indicates their misfortune, so often do have a smile and seem happy regardless of their lot in life.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Janet said...

To die at age 41 is so sad. But to be alive and not be able to live is even sadder.

Happy new year to you and yours!

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Minka said...

Wow, what an amzing life to lead..and with a smile on your face as well. truly inspirational...I am sure he´ll cheer up a crowd whereever he is.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Sar said...

What a touching story. Like you said, it's not important to ask why but to see why. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

Your friends must feel sad, but yet a strong sense of contentment now. I feel for them and I would've been right there with you sharing the tissues. :)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger SCGeeCheeGirl said...

What a wonderful young man he was! He touched not only your life but everyone around him. I know you will miss him but hold on to the wonderful memories!

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sad story, but great perspective. It's always wonderful when the events around you, both good and bad, can serve as reminders of God's presence.

PS: How exactly does one get on the list for those cookies and fudge??

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Very moving story, it's quite sad.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Avery's mom said...

I love when we are able to see the bright side of things even in the gloomiest times of our lives. God bless you and your friend

sounds like you had a very busy and wonderful christmas.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Paula said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your experience with Jimmy.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Wonderful post and story. Jimmy is an inspiration.

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHen I was young I used to have pity for people like that, however now I feel that GOd puts them on earth for reasons. Possibly as a test of faith, a test of how others will treat them, and maybe even so they can experience love in a different way then we could ever understand.

I have tried to raise my children to not be prejudeces towards people with handicaps, for we are not to judge others.

I believe that when people who had to suffer in life like that get a special place with God.

Love your way

 

Post a Comment

<< Home