Thursday, December 15, 2005

Packages out the door….Fantasy Fudge

Well, as of tomorrow morning, all my packages, that have to be mailed, will be out the door. Yea!!! The ginger bread cookies are stacked nicely in their pretty tins and all the gifts are wrapped and snuggly packaged in there boxes. The packages to Hawaii, Virginia, New York and Maryland are packaged in those “flat rate” (no weight limit/anywhere in the USA) packages. You can mail them for $ 7.70 each Priority mail. I should save a ton on postage this year. The package to Florida is in a much larger box and will be taken to the UPS office for shipping.

I can’t believe it’s only 10 days till Christmas. Where has this month gone too…I just know that I will blink my eyes and it will be New Years Day. TF and I have been watching one Christmas show every night now since the start of December. Tonight we watched the Santa Clause movie with Tim Allen. We also saw part of a movie about a man who went back to his home town to find his real parents. We saw Miracle on 34th street , but we haven’t seen It’s a Wonderful Life yet.

Someone ask me if I had a good fudge recipe. I use the one on the back of the Kraft Marshmallow Crème bottle. It’s the only one I can get to set up properly. So here it is with a few helpful tips:

Fantasy Fudge (Makes about 36 pieces)

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
2/3 cup evaporated milk (1 small can)
1 12-oz. (340 g) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
1 7-oz. (198 g) jar Kraft Marshmallow crème (store brand is OK)
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tablespoon vanilla

Traditional method:Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 1/2 qt. saucepan; bring to full rolling bail, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts & vanilla beat until blended. Pour into greased (foil lined) 13" x9" pan. Let cool and serve.

Helpful tips:
1) I have read several versions of this recipe. Last night I used semi-sweet chocolate chunks instead of the chocolate chips, because I was trying to use up what was left in the jar. So it doesn’t matter if you use chips, chunks or squares as long as they are semi sweet.
2) I used butter instead of margarine. Either one will work.
3) Make sure you have everything measured out and the nuts chopped when you start cooking. You will need to stir constantly and you won’t have time to be measuring while the fudge cooks.
4) Make sure you let the fudge cook at a rolling boil for five full minutes to make sure your fudge will set up. This is important.
5) I have discovered that my fudge sets up better if I cook it on a day when the humidity is down. If it is raining outside and the humidity is up, you will have a hard time getting it to set up.
6) Pour you fudge out on to a foil lined pan. It makes clean up so much faster.
7) Make sure it is completely cool before you cut it.
8) Store your fudge in an air-tight container with waxed paper between the layers.

The fudge I made last night is probably the best fudge I have ever made. It set up perfectly and I’m sure it was because I made it while the humidity was down. Give it a try.

Christmas Trivia: http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/xmastrivia.html

24 Comments:

At 3:46 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Thanks for the choclate recipes, we had a blast preparing them, I just hope it came out out good.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

prag....I want to know after the party which ones you liked.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Only 10 days left? Wow - where has it gone? Before you know it, I'll be doing my taxes. The older I get, the quicker it goes. Is that supposed to happen?

The fudge recipe sounds great. But, alas, you know I can't eat it. I'll hold out for the low-carb chicken delight.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Fred, Did you have to bring up Taxes? You just got 10 points taken off your next quiz. Tell me about the low-carb chicken delight. I'll be starting back on my low carb diet after the new year.
Yes, you are right. The older we get the quicker it goes...

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

It really can't be coming. I haven't decorated the Christmas tree. There is no garland on the outside of the house. It has been too cold here to prepare--I need a re-do and another week, at least :)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Reading that fudge recipe makes me want to go and cook up a batch. I dare not though, as I'll be tempted to eat, eat, eat! Thanks for the helpful hints.

It is hard to believe that Christmas is almost here. Where does the time go?

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Great recipes! Is it my imagination, or is Christmas really that near?

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Lucy, low carb chicken is white meat only with no skin. Then, The Missus marinates it in low carb teriyaki sauce. Yum!

Sorry about the taxes. I'll make it up with an extra-credit post.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

You sound like such a fantastic baker! Wish I could muster up the time and energy for that kind of stuff!

Love your recipes. Except for the elephant stew, if I made them all, I would have to get an entire new wardrobe.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger ron said...

Ty for stopping by Lucy-first time I have been here, I will let my wife know about this site, she is a great big cooker. lol, no pun intended. ohh. Hope she doesn't read this I'll get in trouble.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

wow another yummy recipe!

Merry Christmas to ya!

Keshi.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger kathi said...

The fudge recipe is one I'll have to try! Thanks!
Wanted to wish you a merry Christmas. Hope all is well with you and yours. Hugs!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Hey Lucy... If I post my address would you send me some of your fudge! Sounds great! Merry Christmas.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

"The packages to Hawaii, Virginia, New York and Maryland are packaged..."

Did I miss something here? No packages to Kentucky?

:-)

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

running 2k - I could use another week too.

ethne - a little rant here and there clears the sinuses..

rachel - You nailed down the problem. All those calories are just too good.

jean-luc - It's closer than you think..

fred - I'll be looking for that extra credit post.

Mountain Mama - I bet it was awesome making that fudge over a wooden fire in a big cast iron pot. It sounds like you have some awesome memories.

Thanks Barbara - Happy Hanauka!

ron - Come back again..

Keshi and Kathi - Merry Christmas to you too.

Danny - If you are brave enough to send me your address, I'll send you some fudge.

Jeff - Oh Man! I forgot Kentucky. I knew I was forgeting something.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I checked out the trivia site and noticed that 37 million Americans get a natural Xmas tree. About 25 per cent of them cut their own. Not us this year, though. We tried, but ended up getting our Scotch pine at Lowe's.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, TF ended up buying an artifical tree at Wal-Mart. He just did not want to mess with a real tree this year. Now we will have one in reserve...

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Can I have just the fudge without the recipe?

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

I have a 2 minute fudge recipe that works great, only the cookbook is in storage! I looked for it online but couldn't find the same one. Its microwaved and turns out extremely well.

oh well.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

This sounds like a fudge I made with an old friend of mine, now deceased. I used to have to help her stir it & cut it up. We packed it in chinise take-out boxes that we'd decorate ourselves. What fun!
Thanks for visiting!
Chow

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Lucy, i love all those old xmas movies...never get sick of watching them. I loved the Tim Allen movie too. My favorite one is with Arnold Schwarzenger, a xmas movie also, he has a little boy and he has to buy him a superhero type toy and he can't find one anywhere.........too funny.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Hi ! Thanks for visiting my blog :-)
I think I'm going to swipe your fudge recipe!

Happy holidays,
Laura

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I love fudge, but a little goes a long way with me. My grandmother always sends homemade fudge at Christmas so I freeze it and enjoy it even longer!

Thanks for the recipes.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I gained five pounds just reading that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home