Friday, January 06, 2006

Time for a little fun…..

Better Safe than Sorry sort of tagged me for this meme. So here goes:
Four jobs you’ve had in your life:

1) My first job was at the Houston Astrodome. It was newly opened and I got a job as the popcorn girl in one of the commissaries. This is were I met my husband. We were only 16 yrs. old at the time and we didn’t get married for four more years.

2) I worked part time for a retail store called Sage. I worked in the Linen department and I sold bed sheets, draperies and fabrics for sewing. I learned how to sew while working on this job.

3) My senior year in high school I worked one summer with the telephone company. I was a long distance operator back in the days when they still had operators.

4) I worked for seven years at Montgomery Wards. I started out in the men’s suit department and then moved a year later as manager of the women’s hosiery. A year later I was made the manager of the better jewelry department. I stayed in that department till I left my job to start my family.

Four movies you would watch over and over again:

1) Dave – That movie is so cute. The American President is very similar.
2) Fiddler on the Roof – I love musicals and this is one of my favorites, along with South Pacific, West Side Story, My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music.
3) Driving Miss Daisy – I love Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy. There’s a lot about friendship to be learned with this movie. Fried Green Tomatoes is another very similar one.
4) The Green Mile – Such a good movie. I suppose Shawshank Redemption also written by Steven King is another favorite.
It’s hard to list just four movies. Other favorites are: Forrest Gump, Dances with Wolves, Big Fish, Second Hand Lions, all the Harry Potter movies, Star wars, and many more.

Four places you have lived : I have only lived in Houston, Texas. I was born and raised here. I’ve never lived any where else.

Four TV shows you love to watch:

1) Oprah Winfrey – love Oprah!
2) Jeopardy – I always try to answer the questions myself. I loved it when Ken Jennings was on.
3) Medium – Monday night on NBC
4) Today Show – Matt, Katie, Al and Ann

Four websites you visit daily: The only ones I visit daily are my blog friends. I visit other websites, but not daily.

Four of your favorite foods:

1) Bluebell ice cream – From that little ol' creamery in Brenham. Vanilla Bean and Moolineum. Yummmm
2) Fried Chicken – most any kind
3) Whataburger – best hamburgers in Texas.
4) Granny Salad – special salad perfected by TF’s grandmother.

Four places you would rather be right now: Actually, right now at 8:00pm. on a Friday night, I am right where I want to be. I’m home with my husband, on a cold night with the fireplace going and a movie (Independence Day) on the TV. It’s time to relax!! It’s been a big day.

Four bloggers you are tagging: Actually anyone who would like to do it is tagged!

24 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Loved learning 4 things about Lucy!
We have similar taste in movies. I am such a huge fan of Morgan Freeman, and Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption are 2 of my favs :)

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Kylee said...

Those are great.
I was your neighbor for about a year about a year and 1/2 ago....I left some great friend there.

take care

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked your list of favorite foods. It's hard to get a good hamburger. So many restaurants use those pre-cooked burgers that look like cloverleaves and taste artificial.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I will never forget the first moment walking into the Astrodome and seeing that expanse and the colored seats. It was for the rodeo in 1984. I was blown away! I loved the original scoreboard too.

What do you think will eventually happen to The Dome?

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Nice list. We were big Ken Jennings fans too. Not only was he a great contestant, he had a fun personality too.

My only disagreement would be the Whataburger. Had one once in Florida. Maybe your's didn't coming swimming in grease. Mine certainly did.

There is no place like home.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Great job on this. My great-grandmotehr worked for the phone company too, many years.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Hi. I haven't visited you in awhile. I bet you made wonderful holiday meals. I enjoyed reading your list.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I had many part time jobs in retail stores.

Bluebell icecream sounds yummy!

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

some how I posted this on your last post when I meant it here.
So here is what I wrote... that is if it really matters or something like that..
It's late maybe I should go to bed.
:)

Wow 16 when you meet him. My daughter is 16 and dating... he is nice, but I'm not sure if he is the best for her. Only God knows and time will tell.

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah the year before Montgomery wards closed I also worked in the fine jewelry department.

THose sales were such a scam!

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

michelle - The Green Mile and Shawshank were a different side of Steven King....I really like it.

Kylee - Houston is a great place to live, if you like large cities.

Canadian Dude - Yes, Whataburger is a great burger. We have so many different burger places in Houston. Whataburger was originated in Texas.

Danny - I loved that job at the Astrodome. I have many special memories there. I saw some awesome Baseball games, the rodeo, a couple of bull fights, some wrestling matches, Monster truck and motorcycle derbys, and many other things. I hope it does not come the way of the wrecking ball. It still has many years of life in it. It sure came in handy when the hurricane evacuees stayed there. I hope something good comes her way. I hear rumor that we will be getting a professional soccar team in town soon. Maybe they could use the Dome of it's games.

Puremood - Yes, Montgomery Wards is a thing of the past. Lots of fond memories there too.

Big Dave - Ken Jennings was a pleasure to watch. I have to differ with you on the Whataburgers. I like them because they aren't greasy. You must have eaten a bad burger. Florida is not the place to eat them. Texas is there home state and should only be eaten in Texas....

Miss Nettie Belle - I learned a lot on that job. I learned that I did not like working for a union. I had to walk the strike line even though I didn't agree with the strike. Still, it was a great job for a senior in high school.

Ordinary Christain - Glad you enjoy reading some of my recipes. Hope that didn't make you too hungry while you were fasting.

Barbara - Blue Bell is to die for. Enough said.

Day by Day - I just got lucky when I met the man (boy)I would marry at that age. We finished high school, some college and did a lot of growing up before we got married. I worked in the better jewelry dept. from 1972 thru March 1978. I learned so much from working there. I had some good people working with me and I made some great friends.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Fred said...

I was a long distance operator, too. Dad worked for the telephone company and got me a job for the summer. It paid twice as much as anything else back then; I remember thinking I was filthy rich.

As for Jeopardy, I never watch it. It makes me feel very stupid.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that movie dave, i haven't seen it in years. i've never seen the green mile, i missed it when it came out and just never got around to seeing it, kept meaning too, but just never did.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Fred, You worked for the phone company too? Yes, it was better money than anything else at that time. You worked for Monkey Wards too, we have a few things in common. I can't believe you have never seen Jeopardy...It's a great show, you must watch in one day.

Mountain Mama - Fried Chicken and Fiddler on the Roof sounds good to me.

BSTS - Green Mile is a great movie, you need to rent it one night and watch it. You'll cry!

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i keep meaning to rent it, but never seem to get around to it. someone else did this meme as well and mentioned fried green tomatoes, another classic i missed. and here i always thought i was a movie buff.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Cool stuff Lucy :)

I love Oprah too!

Keshi.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

BSTS - You are missing out woman. Go get those two and have fun watching.

Keshi - She is the only talk show hostess/host I can watch. All the others have junk on.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Evey said...

Lucy I am glad you did this one, it was fun to read. It is always nice to learn more about blog friends:)

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies of all time!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Evey - Just another movie with Morgan Freeman. I also like the acting of Tim Robbins. It was a good story too. Another good one with Morgan Freeman was Glory. Hope you mouth is feeling better.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I love your 4 things answers. I learned a bunch about you :)

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

ur spot on on Oprah, Lucy!

Keshi.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

my mom worked for montgomery wards and the phone company, too. hmmm, small world

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger MsAmber said...

What a wonderful premise for a blog. Very nice.
I wanted to do Wilderness Girl supplies and instructions. I would cover canning and preserving food, and my favorite survival gear.
I haven't been able to stay focused on these subjects, mainly I just talk.
But I really like what you're doing.
Good stuff, Ma'am.
MsAmber

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Renee said...

Lucy,
Thanks for visiting my site. I was trying to get to know you by reading your meme. I'm loving your TV shows and your foods. Can't go wrong with fried chicken, Bluebell Ice cream, and burgers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home