Sunday, April 23, 2006

Subject: Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all. One is Evil.

It is anger, envy, jealousy,sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good.

It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith." The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Note from Lucy: I sometimes wonder which wolf we feed. Could it be a little bit of both? I hope I am feeding the good wolf much more than I feed the bad one. We need to be more concious of the things we do. Remember that the things that we do feed either the good wolf or the bad wolf. Thanks Richard Sutton for the story.

14 Comments:

At 1:47 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ooooo, i do like this very much. I have been known to feed both wolves at times :(

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch people who feed that bad wolf and you'll see those charactoristic!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Because we are only human, I suppose we have one or some of those you've listed.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I can be a duel wolf feeder myself.

Points well made!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Thank you for posting this, it was lovely and a wonderful reminder.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

It's a great story with a great moral value to it. I try my best to feed the good - but I know there are times I feed the bad. Then, one I realize it, I just pray. We are only human and no matter how hard we try - no one is perfect.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

very interesting way of describing inner battles.
Let's fee dothers good wolves as well.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Jay said...

What do wolves eat? I keep feeding mine cheese, and i don't think he likes it.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I think we all try to feed the good wolf in us, but sometimes the bad wolf just sneaks up and starts helping himself. We must be ever vigilant to keep the bad wolf at bay.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Martin said...

I love stories like that. Just gotta make sure that I remember it for an appropriate time.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

This is a favorite story of Dr. Laura. Some days it's easy to feed the bad wolf, but we just have to keep trying to starve him out.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that it's a Cherokee legend...

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger JM said...

Great story. I'm going to have to tell my nephews and nieces that story. It's beautiful.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger C. H. Green said...

Great post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home