Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Grilled Onion Potatoes

8 medium Potatoes -- baking style
2 small Onions -- sliced
Salt and Pepper -- to taste
8 ounces Italian Salad Dressing, low calorie -- Zesty Style

Cut each potato into five slices. Place onions between slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reassemble each potato; place on a double layer of heavy-duty foil (about 12-inches square). Pour about one ounce salad dressing over each potato. Wrap foil around potatoes and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 50 to 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 137 Calories; 3g Fat (18.8% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 231mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Note from Lucy: I'm going back to bed and I'll finish this post later in the day.

Update: It's about 6:20pm. and I'm finally able to sit down at the computer and add a little to my post. I have been playing taxi driver today, motoring Trixy off to girls camp and Bonnie and Aunt Mary off to the airport. On the way back I stopped and paid a couple of bills and visited over at the Bishops storehouse. TF and I went to Subway for dinner and now I'm home and I can relax and sit down at the computer for a few minutes. Ahhhhh.... While at the Bishops Storehouse, a couple of men came in from the Houston Food bank and took a tour of the Cannery/Storehouse complex. I was able to tag along and add a few comments when asked. I learned more about the partnership our church has with the food bank. It was quite interesting.

Last week, I cut a "Fridge Clip" out of the food section of the newspaper. I thought it was a great lesson to those of us that like to cook. The Fridge Clip is called: Lose a little liquid, gain intense flavor. Here's what it says:
"Reducing" is the term chefs use for cooking a liquid over a high enough heat to evaporate some fo the water, thereby reducing the volume of the liquid. The flavor becomes more concentrated, and the texture thickens.
Basically, any time you cook a liquid without covering the pan, you are reducing. In classic French cuisine, reduction turns stock into glace de viande (meat glaze). A gallon or so of chicken, beef or veal stock is strained and simmered until it has reduced to one or two cups of thick glaze. This adds incomparable richness to sauces. Newsday

17 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Joy said...

hmm, if i had a grill (well, one that wasn't rusted out) this would be awesome.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Sounds yummy. Unfortunately my family is too picky. Darn it!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm glad you posted this while you were awake. It looks like a winner.

My, you were up early!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I'm hungry right now. I'm hoping that recipe is just one serving. You don't say it isn't.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Ruby G - I don't know why you couldn't bake it for an hour or so and get the same effect.

oh great one - Too picky for potatoes?

Fred - Actually I woke up around 3:00am. because Bonnie had turned the air conditioner down to "freeze" and I was freezing. I went upstairs to turn it to a reasonable temperature and by then I was awake. I got on the computer and deleted a ton of emails, read some blogs, and wrote my post. By the time I posted it, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I went back to be just as the sun was coming up. I slept another two hours and then was up and out the door.

Big Dave - You are funny. I think it actually is "one potato per person" serving. Is that on your diet? Hummmm.... You could share half with your wife.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

OOoooo, that sounds yummmy. It's Winter here, so that reciepe will go down a treat :o)

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'll try those potatoes~

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

I love this recipe. I do something similar and use red onions as they have a more intense flavor all on their own. I will try it with Italian dressing next time. Have you also heard of sprinkling on crumbled bleu cheese during the last ten minutes or so?

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Lucy, is the Houston Food Bank part of the Mormon church? Or is it a government thing?

I am not Mormon, but in prep for Y2K I used a local Mormon canning facility to can food for our extended family in case things fell apart. They were so nice about it there. Well, you would not believe how many cans of wheat berries I have stored in my basement now. Of course their shelf life is practically infinite. Do you happen to have some wheat berry recipes up your sleeve that you would be willing to share?

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Too picky for onions.

Loved the tip on reduction by the way!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

michelle & Daybyday - Hope you enjoy them.

leslie - I love red onions, I'll have to give it a try. The crumbled blue cheese sounds wonderful. I'll try that too.

suzieq - The food bank is a City of Houston thing. Our church donates church made peanut butter to the food bank. Those wheat berries are a great source of food. If you will email me, I will forward a Wheat, Oats and Macroni book to you that I put together in April of 2004. My email is: lucy.stern@gmail.com Looking forward to hearing from you.

oh great one - I love onions. I put them in almost everything. I am going to try the reducing next week. I usually just make broth and Freeze it in quart sized freezer bags for soups and other recipes.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

"Those wheat berries are a great source of food. If you will email me, I will forward a Wheat, Oats and Macroni book to you that I put together in April of 2004. My email is: lucy.stern@gmail.com Looking forward to hearing from you."

Gee, thanks, Lucy. I will get an email off to you momentarily.

BTW, I like your blog.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I'm with daybyday... We'll try these.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

Sounds good. I'm not an onion eater but I like the taste when it's cooked with something. These potatoes would be good for a cookout.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Hi Danny - Hope you enjoy them.

tnchick - You know this might be fun to cook next week while I am out camping with my family. I didn't even think about it....

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

mmmm, very helpful and healhty. I love recipes that require only a few ingredients and are healthy. Thanks ;)

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

*copied and saved*

Sounds yummy.

Thanks for dropping by my Saturday Photo Hunt!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home