Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Lasagna Roll-ups

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend. I was touched the other day, as I drove past our Veterans Cemetary, to see the flags carefully placed for the ceremony the next day. I though of all the soldiers who had died in the different conflicts and wars of our country. I hope that God has given them a special place in Heaven to spend their eternity. I pray for their families, as they go on without them. I think of my dad and how proud he was of the service he gave in Navy during WWII. A little tear escapes my eye as I remember the 21 gun salute they gave him at his funeral 6 years ago. He had such deep feelings about the war he fought in and the service he rendered. I was lucky, my dad came back and was able to live a full life. He made sure that we showed respect for our fallen soldiers. I hope I have taught my children well on this subject, I pray we all have.

On a lighter note, I found this wonderful recipe for Lasagna roll-ups that was just too good not to post. It's different and I can't wait to try it.

LASAGNA ROLL-UPS

8 ounces uncooked lasagna noodles
1 Tablespoon olive oil
10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and dried
2 Tablespoons minced green onion
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
21 oz. jar Alfredo sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Rinse in cold water and drain well. Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan over medium heat add oil and cook broccoli or spinach and green onions until tender, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat and stir in ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and egg. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place noodles in a single layer on a sheet of waxed paper. Evenly spread some of the cheese mixture on each noodle. Roll up each noodle from the short end, jellyroll style. In a 9x13” baking dish, spoon about 3/4 of the Alfredo sauce on the bottom and spread evenly. Arrange the rolled noodles, seam side down, in the dish. Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce. Cover loosely with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve. Yields 4-6 servings

15 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

oh yummy - I've never had this as a "roll-up"...

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

My father, a decorated war veteran himself, helps to put those flags on the graves of veterans up in Bay City MICH. He's also been a member of the honor guard, firing those salutes at funerals.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

How nice of you to share this recipe. I'll try this myself. I like lasagna.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Now that sounds good!

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh boy, i could make a real pig of myself with those!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Fred said...

One word: yummy. This sounds like a winner.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Yes, the flags were indeed touching.

You should make a recipe book and sell it! You have some really unusual food dishes, Lucy.

Have a good day.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Hmm Lasagna, you can never have too many recipes for this ‘cheesy.’ Food:)

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Lucy I am so glad I am feeling better and weathered this last bout of illiness, because it time to get down with some real cooking.

Yes, I had a wonderful Memorial Day, and enjoyed the different ceremony honoring our soldiers, the ones that passed on and the ones that are still fighting.

I have missed coming here --- now I got to take a minute and copy the new recipes. Thank you for keeping in touch with me. It seem like I was sick forever.

I am sending much love to you and your beloved family ---

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You made me soooo hungry! This sound wonderful and not to difficult to make! YUM!
Thanks for your visit...It's always good to hear from you and to visit you, too!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Those sound yummy!

A cemetery near out house had full-sized flad lining the roadways through it. It was sucha wonderrul sight.

I honor your dad for his service.

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how I can convert that recipe down to two servings... I'm the only one at home who likes spinach.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Just wanted to respond here to your comment on my blog (regarding the tiff I had with my doctor over my diabetes care).

Upon his suggestion, I did sign up for some diabetes classes. Been there, done that, but I'll try it again. Meanwhile, my self-testing numbers are closer to normal, so I figure crisis over, for now anyway. Thanks for your concern.

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummmm, this looks delicious. I'll copy this one and try it out. I was looking for something new to try out this week!I'm new here, just saying hello! ;)

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Martin said...

This sounds like a brilliant idea. I need to print this up. B)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home