Monday, October 23, 2006

Do you have an I-Pod?

Several years ago my oldest daughter bought an I-Pod. She loves music and she wanted a way to listen to her many CD’s without having to carry them all around. The I-Pod came out and it seemed a logical answer to her question. She could download her many CD’s on to her I-pod and only have to carry around the one unit. She had friends who had purchased them and they gave her a good recommendation. She bought her I-Pod and was as happy as a lark with it.

My husband became intrigued with her little machine and decided that he wanted one too so I bought it for him for Christmas that year. I got him the 40 gig unit so that he would have all the room he needed for his music. His next quest had him downloading all of his CD’s on to the computer so that he could download them onto his I-Pod. This kept him busy for several weeks. What we discovered was that he could also download books on tape. He put the scriptures, several of his favorite books and other audio favorites onto his unit.

Then came the extra expenses of owning an I-pod. TF purchased a device that would allow him to play it thru his car stereo. Bonnie purchased some little speakers that she could take with her when she traveled. She would put her unit in the speaker box and be able to listen to it in her hotel room. Both of them have all the little extras for their units. Occasionally TF will purchase music from the I-Tunes store. This weekend, TF decided to purchase a new car radio that is designed with the I-Pod in mind. He went over to Best Buy and purchased the unit and had it installed. All you have to do is put your I-Pod into the glove box and plug it in. Everything comes up on the screen, on the radio, so that you can select what you want to listen to. This new radio has all the bells and whistles. Bonnie saw it and now she wants one. How spoiled can you get? I do have to admit that they have some pretty good music and books on it.

On a frugal note: I was reading my weekly Dollar Stretcher email this week and found some good articles. I have listed a few here that I thought were interesting.

Weddings are a billion-dollar industry in the United States, and the figures grow every year. How do you have the wedding of your dreams without waking up to a nightmare of debt the next day? http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04oct18e.cfm

Did you ever work for a company that went out of business or changed hands? Were you paying into a retirement plan and never receive any benefits. Check out this website to find your hard earned money? http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04oct18a.cfm

What’s hot in Halloween costumes this year? How much will it cost? http://www.bankrate.com/dls/news/pf/Halloween_costumesa1.asp

Homemade Halloween make-up, bruises and blood: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/001016b.cfm

Ever buy a car at an auto auction? http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03oct20d.cfm

Save money when buying appliances. http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04oct18b.cfm

One a personal note: Felicia is moving at the end of this week and we are down to the wire on getting her ready. We still have the last minute packing to do, get the U-Haul rented, get rid of everything in her garage that she doesn’t want, pack the U-Haul and get her out the door. Needless to say, it will be a busy week for me. Wish me luck and have a great week.

18 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a shuffle. I do agree that it is nice to have all that music in one place, but it's such a pain to me to put it all on th computer first.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I don't have an Ipod. I don't have use for one but I am strangely drawn to it.

I liked the article on the car auction. I've always wanted to attend one just to see if it was really as good a deal as it sounds.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Maybe I'll buy an I-Pod after I buy a cell phone. Still not sure I need either, though.

I can't believe how expensive weddings have become. When we got married 26 years ago, I literally itemized everything we paid for (we financed our own wedding). It came to just a bit over $1,000.

Then we were at a party and I was flabbergasted when the woman I was talking to said she would finance her girls' education, and would buy them their first car. But paying for a wedding? Forget it.

Hea, if you have a chance to stop by my latest blog, I wrote about some Texans that we ran into on vacation. You might find it interesting.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Joy said...

I caved today. Yup, I'll be an ipod owner by the end of this week.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

I finally got to download the entire Old Testament from the LDS Audio folks and then put that on my ipod so I could listen while driving down the road. Who ever it was that did the reading did a great job, not just a good job. I got through 44 chapters today and never once got tired of listening. I'm up to where Joseph (coat of many colors ) reveals himself to his brothers who sold him into slavery. Yes, the new radio/ipod connection is awesome!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

Nope, I don't have the need for one. =)

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

No, I do not have an ipod, and I do not know how to work one either. My son says I am incapable of understanding this device.

He may be right.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Evey said...

I have told Chris I want an IPOD for christmas. I am crossing my fingers I will get it or I suppose I will have to go out get one on my own:)

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

We have 4 iPods in our family and love them each. Actually 5 if you count my son's old 10 gig 2nd generation model that has a dead battery...

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Martin said...

I'm waiting until they come out with the 120GB iPod before buy a second one. My problem, as a music collector, is that it is full and I can't put podcasts and other goodies on it. The good thing is that my collection of thousands of CDs is consolidated on one little device. B)

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never considered all the peripheral costs for an ipod. Good awareness to have.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I have heard of I-Pods but really don't have the need for one yet, but who knows later on?? All this technology is amazing stuff!!

Enjoyed your last post about fleas too. I think this year was a bad one for fleas (meaning there was LOTS of the pesky things around). I use Frontline on my animals and it usually controls things but not this year.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm an old fuddy duddy, Lucy. No iPod. I'm content to listen to the radio, and when I'm not in my car, I have no need to listen to music.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger keesh said...

I actially, I just got an ipod 2 days ago for my birthday. Check out my blog for further info :)...I LOVE IT! I am a music freak and it will be a good way for me to stay motivated and watch less TV...it takes less time to put those headphones on then it does to pick out CD's and put them into the sterio...I LOVE IT>>..

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought all the accessories seperately- seemed cheaper at the time but now they don't work together like I wish they would. Ah well. My ipod still makes me very happy.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I saw your comments on my blog and ran over to see if you had updated. *hint hint* It's been too long!;P

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Tigersue said...

My Daughter just bought one. We are still in the process of trying to put some good music on the computer to put on it. Right now she is quite happy with it.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Sambian said...

your links are the best ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home