Friday, November 24, 2006

What a Thanksgiving……

I am exhausted, what more can I say. I think I may have earned a few more grey hairs in the last couple of weeks. If you have been reading my blog you know that we were having wood floors put into our living room and dining room last week. The floor man promised that he would be done by last Saturday. Due to some complications, he finished putting in the last slat Wednesday night around 8:30pm. There was a fine layer of dust all over the furniture all over the house. I had been cleaning and trying to get the rest of the house in order for the “big” day. I kept wondering how in the world we were going to pull this off. I did as much work in advance as I could, for that I am grateful.

My day started at 5:00am. The ham went into the oven and worked was started on the dressing and stuffing the turkey. After putting the turkey in the oven, my husband and son started moving the large pieces of furniture, including the dining room table, back into the rooms. Bonnie, who came in the night before, woke up and helped TF dismantle the computer, move it back to its original spot and reassemble it. In the mean time I was trying to get the kitchen and nook floors clean. I felt like we were doing an episode of “While you were out” and praying that we would have everything back into order before the family arrived for Thanksgiving dinner. It was extremely stressful, but somehow we pulled it off. Dinner was great, we all enjoyed each others company and before long it was all over. We took our traditional Thanksgiving picture and the older kids left to go to the movies. I agreed to baby sit so that the older kids could have some time together. The clean up procedure started. Jocelyne had a fever and after a while started crying. Her nose was running and she was drooling and chewing on her fist. I gave her some infant Tylenol and tried to entertain her. Thank God her mom and dad came home when they did. I didn’t get to bed till 1:30am.

Bonnie needed to be at the airport for a 2:15pm. flight back to her current job site. I was surprised that we had no trouble getting to the airport. There was no traffic and not that much going on once we got there. On the way home from the airport, I fell asleep at a traffic light. I realized then that I had better get back to bed and get some much needed sleep. I slept for six straight hours and woke up feeling much better. My muscles hurt from all the work but all in all I feel fine.

I really do have much to be thankful for. I have a wonderful family, a roof over my head, food on my table, a love for my Heavenly Father and a good life. I am grateful for all of the blessing my Heavenly Father has given me, what more can I ask?

Want to see pictures of the new floor check out my husbands blog at: http://tfsternsrantings.blogspot.com/2006/11/almost-there_24.html

His rendition of Thanksgiving: http://tfsternsrantings.blogspot.com/2006/11/thanksgiving-2006.html

Just a question: How many of you made broth/soup from your turkey carcass? Mine is still simmering on the stove.

17 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~ A Thanksgiving to remember.
The floors look lovely but it was a close shave to get finished in time.
Anyway it all turned out beautifully.
No wonder you were worn out after all
that cooking, besides the extra work.
I hope you have caught up by now and enjoying the turkey soup. Delicious.
Take care, thanks for comments. Love, Merle.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

We all have a LOT to be THANKFUL for. Some are just better at directing their thanks to God than others are. Let's give credit where it's due... just as you have done here! THANKS! ~ jb///

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Shelby said...

thanks for the blog visit today.. take care

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

As someone who moved recently I understand how nervous you must’ve been to get everything ready in time for thanksgiving.
It's good you allowed do yourself to rest after all that.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like it was all worth the effort.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Martin said...

The floor looks great! Yes, I have that on a project list for myself also. I just haven't decided between tile or Pergo.

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

even if i don't have time to make stock, i put the carcass in the freezer and use it later. all i had to celebrate your thanksgiving was pumpkin pie.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Your floor looks lovely. My mom was asking if I met you in Houston when I was there in September. (she reads my blog and comments section) I told her, no but I met up with her daughter Bonnie and Bonnie's friend Steve.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad you pulled it all together at the last minute!!

The floors are lovely!! Well worth it I'd say.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Lucy, sounds like your Thanksgiving was a mixed bag of blessings and challenges. This year our family (22 of us) feasted at a local restaurant and then returned to our home to visit. Cleanup was a breeze, of course. But we won't eat out again like that. The restaurant food, good as it was, can't compare to what one fixes at home.

In answer to your turkey carcass question, yes, I always make soup from it (except for this year).

I've a new post at my blog which I think you and some of your readers would enjoy. It is about the Victorian kitchen. I am very interested in domestic arts from the past. I hope you will come and read it.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm glad you got everything done in time! I was planning to simmer my turkey carcass but I had no room in my freezer to store it so it'll have to wait till next year. Perhaps I'll have a free standing freezer by then.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Merle - The turkey broth turned out great and I am finally rested from all that was going on.

lz blogger - I realize that all my blessings come from God. It is good to let him know that you appreciate all he does for you.

east of oregon - same to you.

BSTS - good to hear from you again. Yes, I almost always cook my turkey carcas right away.

shepra - I was surprised that Bonnie didn't bring you out to the house. I suppose she was really busy with her assignment tht week and didn't have time. Maybe I will get a chance to meet you next time you come down.



prag - good to see you guy...yes, it's a lot of work.

day - it was well worth the effort.

an80snut - each to his own. Hope you make the selection that fits you best.

rachael - I don't know if I would have the energy to do something like that again any time soon.

susieq - I went and read your article about the Victorian kitchen and loved it. Thanks

Oh great one - I don't know what I would do without my extra freezer.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Las year our kitchen was totally ripped out and remodeled. It was to be finished a week before Christmas. We made it, but it was more like 2 days.

Nice floors!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Lucy, thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciated your comment.

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like your day was as busy as our Black Friday.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Went to my mom's for thanksgiving. I contributed pies. My sister contributed yam struesel. I think we'll have to do better next year-- mom and grandma still did most of the work. We're spoiled little girls.


Anyway, mom made broth from the turkey, master food preserver, cook, and housewife that she is ;)


I wish I could have a little of that broth now-- (if I weren't vegetarian, that is)-- I have an awful chest cold. Probably because I ate the equivalent of two pies over the course of the holiday.

:)

Your wood floor looks niiiiice.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I hope your wood floors look as good as ours, Lucy. We love the look, and it makes it seem larger.

You were busy! I hope you can catch a few breaths before the next holiday approaches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home