Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year everyone……

Short recap here: December was a busy month for me and my family…..We had a wonderful Christmas with all the kids home and a great time with family on Christmas day. We usually go to my sister’s house on Christmas, but this year she went to Hawaii for Christmas, so TF and I hosted the “family” Christmas here. It was a lot of work but well worth it. The dinner was great and everyone had a good time socializing.

Several days ago TF and I found an Oriental Rug for our living room. It is exactly what we were looking for and we bought it. Now, it is not a fancy wool rug but it is nice. We purchased a real oriental rug about 30 years ago and paid good money for it. After only several years, one of the kids spilled some red nail polish on it and it was never the same after that. We decided to buy a “fake” this time around and if anything happens to it, we will just buy a new one.

Our oldest daughter, Bonnie, invited about 10 friends over for New Years Eve. I made up several dips and supplied Crackers and chips for the occasion. TF and I went into the den and watched several shows including the Garrison Keillor New Years Eve program on public television. Around Midnight we brought out the stem ware and poured some non alcoholic drinks for a New Years Eve toast. All of Bonnie’s friends whooped and hollered and had a great time. I couldn’t stay awake past 12:30am. and went to bed….

This morning (Monday morning) I rested for a while before starting work on our yearly New Years dessert. It is so heavenly that it takes 3 hours to make and contains 2 pints of whipping cream. Yummmm….. I cooked a roast and all the “good luck” food that will help us get thru this new year. The kids were here and we heartily ate our way into the New Year…. Tomorrow the diet starts!

One sad note: A friend of mine called me on Saturday and said that her husband had died. Evidentially he had been stung by a bunch of bees a couple of months ago and he had gone down hill since. His heart gave out and he died in her arms. I could hardly believe it. This was her second husband and she really loved him. He took such good care of her and treated her like a queen. I had not seen her this happy in years and now she has lost him. It just reminds me to tell your loved ones how much you care, for they may be gone before you know it…

I stole this from Merle’s blog: I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Enough Happiness to keep you happy.
During the year may you have Enough happiness to keep you sweet. Enough trials to keep you strong. Enough sorrow to keep you human. Enough hope to keep you happy. Enough failure to keep you humble. Enough success to keep you eager. Enough friends to give you comfort. Enough wealth to meet your needs. Enough enthusiasm to make you look forward to tomorrow. Enough determination to make each day better than the day before.
<><><><>
May God make your year a happy one !!
Not by shielding you from all sorrows and pain, But by strengthening you to bear it, as it comes;
Not by making your path easy, But by making you sturdy to travel any path;
Not by taking hardships from you, But by taking fear from your heart;
Not by granting you unbroken sunshine, But by keeping your face bright, even in the shadows;
Not by always making your life pleasant, But by showing you when people and their causes need you most, and by making you anxious to be there to help.
God’s love, peace, hope and joy to you for the year ahead.

25 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ I am glad you liked both poems enough to post them. I put the
Enough Happiness on again tonight and it looks much better. Take care, Love, Merle.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Xmas in Hawai, that's gotta be special!

I need a rug for my living room and bedroom, I just don't have the heart to spend so much money at the moment.
enjoy it!

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe he died of bee stings! Sorry to hear it.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Happy New Year Lucy. Yeah, Merle has good stuff on her site. Wonder where she gets it all.

Little bummed that you whipped up some dips but didn't post the recipes. Well, that's okay. My diet starts today too.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's husband (I said a little prayer)...

Those are some great wishes for us, thank you.

I wanted to thank you for the kind words about the painting I posted on my blog. I'm glad you thought it nice.


God bless, and I hope this is a very, very good year for you and all of your family.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Love ya Merle.

Prag - actually the rug didn't cost that much, we found one at a good price.

rhea - The bea stings didn't kill him immediately, but as the result of the stings, it took him down...It is hard to believe.

Dave - those dips were hummmm....maybe I'll post them.

Curious Servant - Thanks for the prayer. I hope you and your family have a good year too.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Happy NEW YEAR! I hope it's a wonderful one!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

Who's husband died?

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Happy New Year to you Lucy and many blessings to you and TF this year.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

wonderful post today, so heartwarming but sad too. God bless you and yours and the lady who lost her husband, my prayers and heart go out to her, she will be lifted up to the Lord tonight for only He can mend her hurting heart.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Happy New Year, Lucy! One of my resolutions is to learn how to cook a bigger variety of dishes, so I'll be watching your blog. And buying one of Rachel Ray's 30-Minute Meal cookbooks.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also went to bed after the new year was in so don't feel bad.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Happy New Year Lucy, may it bring you and your family health & happiness :o)

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

So sad about your friends husband.
Best wishes for you too in this new year Lucy!!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

The prime rib or standing rib roast recipe is in The All New Joy of Cooking, a cookbook I do not have anymore as someone decided to take it from my house and not return it. Thank God I remembered all the important info from that book on Cornish hen and wrote it down as soon as I realized my book was missing. I'm sorry I can't be of much help with the recipe, but it is in this book.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ Thanks for your visit. I am glad that you liked the Adam and Eve story. We are all children of God and are so lucky to be. Take care, Love, Merle.cuarwo

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Sad for your friend. You are so right about loving one another now while we have the opportunity.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Happy New Year Lucy!

How wonderful you have found a rug that you like, and one that fits well in your home. Use it in good health.

I love your poems, and will cling to their words.

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the new year's dessert?

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

oh great one - Happy New Year to you and CCB and the kids.

drywall mom - Jen it's Beky Bailys new husband, Michael.

Thanks Evey and Chris - Happy New Year to you too.

live, love and laugh - My friend feels her Heavenly Fathers love and she seems to be handling her husbands lose pretty good. I really feel for her though.

leslie - I have been watching Rachel Ray for a while now. She took some getting used to but I love her now. I will be going to the half price book store to see if I can find that cookbook you mentioned. I hope I find it.

merle - thanks for stopping by.

danny sims - funny what we learn by just watching.

Miss Nettie Belle - I wish I could give out that recipe but my husbands mother would kill me if I did. It is a family recipe that has been in the family for over 100 years or more. It's really good though.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Barbara, I almost missed you. I love the rug. My cat loves the rug too, she gets in a crazy mood in the morning after she eats and she plays with the rug. She just knows that something is under there and she trys to put her paws under the rug and find out what it is. What she finds is the pad and she bunches it up and I have to go in and fix it or the rug bunches. It is so funny to watch her.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Happy New Year (belated), Lucy.

Sorry to hear about your friend losing her husband. I have heard of people getting attacked by a swarm of bees, but in one case it helped the victim's arthritis.

Glad you found an oriental rug to your liking and one that can be replaced at little cost should someone spill something on it that permanently damages it. We have 14 grandchildren, so the oriental type rugs in our living room and dining room are of the inexpensive kind for that very reason.

On the New Year's dessert...boo hoo...I was hoping you would post the recipe. You had me salivating with your description.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Joy said...

Happy New Year

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

ohhhh,

Gonna say a prayer for your freind, and hug my spouse (2nd husband, treats me like a queen), extra hard tonight.

How sad. Sigh.


Glad your holiday was pretty good other than that. What exactly make an oriental rug an oriental rug, if it's not really from the orient? Just curious. :)

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

susieq - Glad I found the rug too. It is so pretty.

sherpa - Happy New Year to you too.

Nosurfgirl - My friend is doing pretty good right now. Her husband was supposed to be baptised the Wednesday before he died but he was too sick to do it. His favorite missionary gave him a blessing which basically turned him over to Christ and he died withing three hours...My friend is satisfied with that and knows that she can do the work for him in a year....

What makes it an oriental run is the design. It has the look of an oriental rug and it's wonderful...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home