Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The peanut butter assignment is done…finished for this year.

Our church is amazing, in that we have our own system for feeding those in need. There are canneries all over the US that produce a product for the Bishop’s storehouse system ( our food pantry). Here in Houston we make peanut butter for the entire system. It goes to all the Bishop’s storehouses all over North America. Last Friday morning we started at 10:00am., working around the clock, till Saturday evening at 6:00pm. We produced 32 pallets, with 66 cases to a pallet, with 12 jars to a case. If you add that all up it comes to 25,344 jars of peanut butter for that run. There are eight shifts of workers, working four hours each to keep the “run” going non stop. It was my job to organize the workers for this peanut butter run. It is a lot of work but it is totally amazing that we can pull this off every year. The people work hard and are cheerful in their work. I think they understand the service that they are doing for those in need. I can’t say that the run went smoothly. There were several glitches with the machinery, but nothing that kept us from producing our peanut butter. Just so you know! There are 10 to 12 stakes/groups that will work this year. If just 10 groups work, that makes 253,440 jars of peanut butter for our system this year. FYI: We also make peanut butter for the Houston Food Bank. I suppose I shouldn’t be tooting my horn, but I am so happy that we can do this.


A change of note: Technology! Quite Amazing!

I sure don't know how they do this! When you move the mouse around, her eyes follow the pointer. When you write something in the left space and then click on "Say it," she says it! You can also change persons doing the talking and the language they speak.
http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/frameset.php?frame1=talk

I found this in this mornings email from Richard Sutton and I played with it for a while. My cat Bubba was sitting on the rug so I typed in, “Bubba, where did daddy go?” It actually spooked her and she ran in the other room.

On a practical note: Are you trying to raise your credit score? Do you understand how it works? Take a look at this and learn a bundle. http://www.creditlearningcenter.com/your_credit_score.php

18 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

You are right, technology is amazing!! Far beyond my understanding how it all works!

How wonderful to produce all that peanut butter for food pantries! You do deserve a big pat on the back!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Darn, seems to be a time limit on that talking toon site. It was fun, though.

Peanut butter is my favorite food. I can remember getting government surplus peanut butter at one time. Wonder if they still make that.

To answer the question you asked at my blog, my wife makes delicious chocolate chip cookies. Nothing special in the recipe. But everyone likes them, probably just because they're homemade.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is a major Peanut Butter Producing System...! It is fantastic, really! Congratulations to you all!
That technological thingy is fun! I had it ask where "Sweetie" my cat is? But Sweetie didn't budge! (LOL)

About that Documentary...
Go to PBS.org and put in your PBS Station and the name of the program: INDEPENDENT LENS- Billy Strayhorn: Lush Life, and it should tell you when it will be on there....The CD that I spoke of is available at AMAZON.com. I'm getting it for myself...! This program was truly wonderful in every way...! Hope they will be playing it where you are.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Cool. But I have to say that reading the phrase "peanut butter" that many times in a row, and especially the idea of "pallets of peanut butter," is very filling.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

That is A LOT of peanut butter! Good for your church! ~ jb///

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Okay Paul,

Repeat after me the phrase; Phil and Phyllis fetched fifty five freshly filled pallets of peanut butter on February Fourteenth.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Lucy, that is super what you and your workers were able to accomplish in peanut butter. I am curious about something. Do you add anything to the peanut butter? Oil? Salt? Or is it natural?

When everyone was facing Y2K, I used the local Mormon cannery to put up some extra food for our extended family just in case. I loved working side by side with other women in that endeavor. What a sense of community!

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be proud too if i was you.

(I love peanut butter)

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ Wonderful gesture to give food to the needy and you played a part. We have a big company in Shepparton that preserves food,fruit, and other things.Once a year they have an entire day of "share a can" where the workers donate time and effort and the factory the food. I loved that technology thing - -they are getting so clever. Thank you for your wishes for Valentine's Day and I hope you had a good day also. You may have read that I did remarry,and had a good 6 years until my second husband died of a stroke.Take care Lucy, Love, Merle.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Technology is truly amazing...but its also so very frustrating!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

man that is alot of peanut butter!!!!!!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

What a terrific thing your church does! I've attended several churches but have never seen one with this sort of program. Kudos!

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic job. You wouldn't like to come up to the Medford Ore. Pear farm and organize our harvesting? They say we have the only pear farm in the system and therefore supply pears for the entire world.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

What a great job and service you do each day for others, Lucy.

I hope you did not use Peter Pan brand (lol)

We could use you in any of our cities actually.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I hate to admit it, but I never liked peanut butter.

Growing up, my siblings went to school with a PB&J sandwich, I went with bologna and cheese.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

mmmm, peanut butter. fred, I think yours and my tastes are diametrically opposed. That's kind of funny.

do you guys make it with sugar or leave it in its natural healthful state?

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

nosurfgirl - It does have a certain amount of sugar and stabilizers in it, but not anywhere near as much as other brands.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Pirate Princess said...

OH! OH!!!!!

I MISSSSS The PB Cannery! We used to do this EVERY YR!

*SOB*

realize this is an old post, but because I homeschool summertime is when I get to do more "browsing" and catch up on others... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home