Saturday, April 28, 2007

He was a loved man

A couple of months ago, my sister Pat called me to let me know that her brother in law had throat cancer. They were not going to be able to operate, so he was going to have radiation treatments that would start right away. Pat and several other members of the family took turns taking care of him during this time. I was asked if I could go and help out for a week, so I told Pat that I would be more than willing to help out. Well, my week was to start this past Monday. The Wednesday before I was in the drug store, with my grandson, when the phone rang and Pat announced that her brother in law had died sometime during the night. I was totally taken aback because it was not expected to happen. He had just finished his radiation treatments and was doing better. My niece, who had been taking care of him, found him dead in his bed. She said she had gone in to wake him up and he was cold. I felt sooo sorry for Missy, having to find him like that.

Pat and her husband immediately drove to Austin to start the funeral arrangements. The funeral was last Saturday and my brother and I drove, the three hour trip, to attend the funeral. We got there early and went on in to the chapel to find a place to sit. People started to arrive and by the time the funeral started it was standing room only. I had never in my life attended a funeral this big. Larry’s 15 yr. old daughter, Carlie, gave a beautiful testimony of her father and when she was done everyone stood up and clapped. She was so articulate and spontaneous with her remarks, there wasn’t a dry eye in the place. This was a loved man!

After the service we all took a drive to the grave yard, which was two hours away, in Brenhamn, Texas. Larry’s great, great, great grandfather had donated the land for the grave yard. It seems that the Mexican government gave him the land before Texas became a republic. The grave yard was on top of a rolling hill, a soft breeze was blowing, and the view was unbelievable. Bluebonnets and wild flowers were everywhere. I couldn’t imagine a more beautiful spot to be buried. It capped off an amazing day, one that I will never forget. My brother and I drove home in a quite solitude. The family is grieving and in the process of healing.. I wish them all well and will keep them in my prayers.

My sister emailed me a webpage that was put together by the school that he worked at in Austin. If you would like to see what Larry was like, click on the webpage and take a look. http://lhs.leanderisd.org/organizations/skills_usa/brown/brown.html

13 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

It sounds as though Larry was really a TRULY LOVED person... says a lot about him and as all those folks stated, he will be greatly missed! ~ lz///

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds as though your family has drawn together to comfort his in this time.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Reading through the tributes on the web page there, saying that he was loved seems almost an understatement. Sorry for your loss.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for your comment on my blog-- I do need to enjoy these days. We all need to enjoy every day; life is so fragile.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

How sad. Reading the comments about him, he truly was a very special guy who was loved by so many. He will be missed.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Take care.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

So very very sorry to read about your brother-in-law...What a terrible loss for everyone who loved him and it sounds like those numbers were legion. To be so young yet to have touched so very many lives...that is,at the very least, a wonderful legacy. I listened to him sing "God Bless Amnerica", and that made me cry.

About the fruit on that plant, Lucy....it IS Delicious! I have tasted it---(you have to get to it before the birds...) And it is absolutely wonderful. It's no wonder they all come and devour it...And that makes me very happy!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Wow. What a guy. Sorry for your loss.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

I am sorry for your loss. These things hurt so much. When someone is whisked away like that while in their prime, it is a tragedy.

Not long ago a police officer we knew with seven children died after losing to stomach cancer. He had no life insurance. I do not know what the mother is going to do.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger A Red Mind in a Blue State said...

Very touching-- sorry for your loss-- as always, you're in our thoughts up here.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Heartbreaking!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

lz blogger - I think is will be missed by many....I wonder if I will have that kind of effect on people.

Miss Nettie Belle - This is hopefully what families do best.

Big Dave - It is an understatement isn't it....

emily - life is a struggle and that's why we need to stop and smell the roses whenever we can.

rachel - He will be missed by many.

oh great one - Thanks girl.

oldoldlady of the hills - Larry was very talented. He loved to sing and he did it as often as he could. I wish I could try some of that fruit in your back yard...

Danny - Long time no see. Yes he will be missed....

suzieq - It is so sad when the bread earner dies and doesn't leave insurance for his family. He must have had some kind of insurance from the city he worked for. His wife needs to check and make sure. Some cities offer a small sum free to their officers.

Tony - thanks, it means a lot.

evey - It is so heart breaking for his immediate family. His twin brother is having a terrible time recovering from this. I hope he gets better soon. My sister is really concerned about him.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lucy--

That would be difficult, to be the one who found him; said a prayer for your niece.

It's always somehow more difficult when it's sudden and unexpected. Well, I guess opinions on that are justifiably varied. Sounds like the funeral was a fitting tribute--

thanks for sharing about this amazing person that you are related to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home