Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Back from Florida

My husband and I went to Florida to visit his parents this past weekend. We had a great time even if it was short. We left Saturday afternoon at 1:00pm and arrived in West Palm Beach around 4:30pm. We picked up our rental car and arrived in Vero Beach at 6:30pm. I watched as we drive to see if there was still visible some damage from the two hurricanes that visited Grandma last year. Along the side of the highway there we some trees broken in half, others trees that were leaning and other signs that a storm had visited them. We had a light meal with his parents and then they took us to the Holiday Inn, on the Beach, where we would be staying. The water was rough and you could tell that the Hurricane further north was affecting the tides.
We awoke the next morning to take in a beautiful sunrise over the ocean. We had breakfast at a little place on Jaycee Beach and walked the beach. We noticed that there were Condo's along the beach that were still damaged and not yet repaired from last years storm. All in all the town looked great, but there were signs off the past hurricanes. Around noon we went over to Grandma's and had a relaxing lunch of baked salmon, rice and "Granny Salad". My entire family LOVES Granny's salad. I am still trying to prefect it. I watch Grandma Stern make her mothers speciality and took mental notes of how it is done. Her newest thing is to use Kosher Salt. You must know that I bought a box yesterday when I went grocery shopping. We talked till we were blue in the face. The "men" ventured off into the TV room to watch baseball while Grandma and I talked about "women's things". She sent me home with a Sterling Silver fork and spoon, with her name on it, for our grandchildren. What a treasure. Later in the day we feasted on fresh baked apple pie and ice cream. Around 6:00pm., I could tell that they were getting tired , so we excused ourselves and headed off to the Hotel. We decided to take a drive before bed. Let me tell you that Vero Beach closed down at 9:00pm. Every store and fast food place closed down for the night. I suppose I am used to Houston and all of it's late hours. At 3:00am. Monday morning we were up, showered, dressed and out the door. We arrived back at West Palm Beach and turned in our rental car by 5:10am. We were home in Houston by 8:30am. and in our front door by 9:30am. I was woren out from our whirl wind trip and slept most of the afternoon. My husband had calls waiting for him and he went straight to work.

I'm so glad that we can take quick trips like this every once in a while. The house was still standing and the world still spinning. Glad to be back.

17 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I hope you stopped in to see my parents. They moved to Vero Beach in 1979 and have been there ever since.

I even lived there for a year I when graduated from college - I thought it would be cool to live in Florida for a year. As it turns out, I'm still here, too.

Glad your trip went well.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Gee Fred, I wish I had known. I would have stopped in to say Hi. My husbands parents live on 22nd place.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never heard of granny salad, glad to hear your trip went well. you never know, this weather isn't making for the most pleasant travelling down the coast lately.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger PBS said...

Sounds like you had a very nice trip!

What's in Granny Salad?

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Sounds like you both enjoyed your little getaway:)

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Wow, that sounded like so much fun! That is so awesome you are so close to your mom in law! She sounds like a jewel!!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Love these trips,love your story. Reading it allows us, for a moment, to take a little trip ourselves.

Nice.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sounds like a great time for your both!

And yes, life goes on, whether we are here for it or not.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm glad you had a good time. AND I'm glad your back!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Whew, I think sometimes short trips are the best.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Paula also went on a trip with her husband recently, and it's something I really want to do with my husband soon.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Time away as husband and wife is so important. It keeps your marriage on track and helps keep your sanity.

I will post the recipe for "Granny Salad" soon. I'm going to practice a couple of times first. I had to pull teeth to get the recipe.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Lucy - my parents live on 16th Avenue. They might be close.

Start singing. Ready? "It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's......"

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Fred, Maybe they know each other. My husbands dad goes bowling in Fort ST. Lucie and in Vero. His mom goes to water aroebics every morning. She also walks on the boardwalk at Jaycee beach. Wow, it is a small world. I'm humming!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Welcome back! Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Hey PB, Enjoy your trip.

Puremood, Try to find some spare time, even if it's only a weekend away at a local hotel. Go out to eat, see a movie, just have fun together. Don't think about work, or children or anything else and just have fun.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

My lady you are so blessed. I am glad you had a good trip .. it sounds heavenly. I have only went to Flordia once, and that was to take a two-week cruise. It's amazing to see that they keep it so beautiful even under the severe weather conditons. The picture is beautiful. I loved salads, and will be looking forward to the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home