Sunday, January 22, 2006

London Broil Marinated in Soy Sauce and Mustard…

Ahhhhhh…..that just sounds good to me. Just to let you know, the diet is coming along just fine. I did not weight before starting because I was just too afraid to look at the scale. I know I am doing good because my closes fit better and I feel better. I am on a low-carb eating plan. I have tried other diets, but the low-carb plan just seems to work best for me. Even when I was on weight watchers, if I ate too much fruit, I didn’t lose my two pounds per week. So today I am posting a recipe I found in a low-carb recipe book. I have my London Broil marinating now and this will be the main course for dinner tonight. Alone with a Granny salad and some veggies, this will be a nice Sunday dinner.

London Broil Marinated in Soy Sauce and Mustard
Recipe by Prevention Magazine

1 TBL. - Dry mustard
4 tea – Soy Sauce
2 tsp. – Red wine vinegar
1 tsp. – Onion powder
¼ tsp. – Garlic powder
1 TBL – Olive oil
1 – Top Round or Sirloin London Broil (1 ½ pound), 1 “ thick
¼ tsp. – Salt
¼ tsp. – Ground Black Pepper

In a small bowl, combine the mustard and soy sauce to make a paste. Stir in the vinegar, onion powder, and garlic powder. Whisk in the olive oil. Place the beef in a glass baking dish. Pour the mustard mixture over the beef, and rub lightly to coat all over. Cover, and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before cooking.

Place the broiler rack 2” to 3” from the heat source, and preheat the broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.

Transfer the beef to the pan, and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Broil until the top is browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn, and cook the second side until a meat thermometer registers 145 degrees F. for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a platter, and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice diagonally, and serve with the juices on the platter.
Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 309 calories, 36g. protein, 1g.carbohydrates, 17g. fat, 6g. saturated fat, 85mg. cholesterol, 560mg. sodium, 0g. fiber.
Diet Exchanges: 0 milk, 0 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 bread, 5 meat, 3 fat.

Time Saver: Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days. Use them for super fast suppers and lunches. To reheat, slice the beef and dip into simmering beef broth until heated through, 30 to 60 seconds.

Note from Lucy: Please make sure you let the beef "sit" for 5 minutes after cooking. If you cut the beef too soon it will be tough. You have to let the juices run through the meat before cutting it. Have you ever noticed how the juices just pour out of the meat if you cut it right away after cooking? That is because you did not let it "sit". I learned this trick from a top chef.

17 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Cool Dad said...

This is a keeper Lucy. Especially on the diet. I am trying it soon.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Sounds great. And, something I can finally eat, too. :)

I'm glad to hear the low-carb diet is working for you, Lucy. It's done wonders for me, and I find myself able to sneak in a few more items not on the diet, yet maintain my weight loss. I still don't go near chocolate and the like, but this recipe will be given to The Missus.

I can hardly wait.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

K - This turned out to be a terrific marinade. I think you and the Wizard are going to love it.

Fred - Low carb seems to be the best for me. After day three, my craving were gone and I hardly get hungry. It's great. I will be posting many more low carb recipes, even some with that dreded chocolate...Let me know how you like the recipe. Get well.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I have to do low carb, low fat, low sugar...low everything LOL
This sounds delicous!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Tomorrow night's dinner!!! Sounds great, thanks. I'm low-carding as well... Works for me and the doc say's it actually helps me!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I think you have the right idea. You need to find the diet that works best for you. Lucky for you this diet sounds delicious!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

michelle - it seems like that doesn't it. If we just didn't have to eat, it would solve the whole problem.

Danny - when I stay on my low carb diet, my cholestrol goes down below 200, my triglicerites are low and my blood preasure is normal. What more can you ask?

Darlene - I am happy with my low carb diet. I love milk, but I found out I can drink a low carb milk and be satisfied. Give that marinade a try.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger JM said...

The low carb diet worked wonders for me. I lost so much weight on it. I just don't know how to do it again, without eating meat. I really don't care for meat all that much. Plus I wanted to add some exercise into my regimine. While I was on the Atkin's diet, I found myself a little less energetic than usual.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sounds absolutely delicious...Too bad I am not a red meat eater. Do you think chicken would be a good substitute?

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

angel jr. - If you don't want to eat meat, just eat chicken and fish. I try to get out and walk in the mornings. My energy level has been fine.

Barb - I think this marinade would be great on chicken. I'm not so sure about fish, but is should be good with chicken. I'll give it a try some time this week.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you marry me? Well that is if I wasn't married and I wasn't a woman. I say this because they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and I would be in love with all this food feed to me.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Good luck with the diet. Just today I posted on the refrigerator the report from my last doctor's visit. If I don't stay true to my diet, I will start to lose my eyesight. You would think that should give me willpower.

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Martin said...

This really sounds good. I think I need to find some mustard powder. Never tried cooking with it.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

day by day - already married and a woman too. Men do love good food.

big dave t - are you diabetic? Stay on your diet, you don' t want to loose your sight.

an80snut - you can find it at the grocery store on the spice isle. It makes a good marinade.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

I think it's smart of you to stay off the scale and just feel like you do that oyur diet has born fruits.
Otherwise it just becomes an obession.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Okay, Lucy, we're going to try this Saturday night. Wish us good luck!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

connie and rob - It will be good. Last night I tried the marinade on chicken and it was just as good.

prag - If I got on the scale, I would probably get discouraged and quit. I'm not going to let that happen.

texas_ivy10 - I'm working on it.

fred - here goes, "Good luck". I know you are going to like it.

melanhead - I wish Ya'll all the luck in the world. The rebuilding is going to be painstaking.

mountain mama - The "sitting" process is one of the most important things about baking and broiling. A turkey takes 15 to 20 minutes to sit. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home