Friday, February 03, 2006

How to break your fat cycle….

Story from First Magazine dated 1/30/06
Just as an oyster reacts to an irritant by creating a pearl, our bodies react to toxic irritants. But instead of creating gems, our cells simply swell up, a process known as Cellular inflammation.

Scientists have known for years that this process can cause heart disease. But they’ve only recently linked low-grade swelling to weight gain. “Cellular inflammation triggers leptin resistance”, says Leo Galland, M.D., director of New York City’s Foundation for Integrated Medicine. “It makes the brain less able to absorb, and respond to, the weight-regulating hormone leptin.” (Leptin signals the brain to speed metabolism and suppress cravings and appetite.) But the larger problem is long-term: As leptin resistance increases, body fat increases: as body fat increases, leptin resistance increases even more.

Amazingly, the vicious weight gain/leptin-resistance cycle can be broken in 24 hours! The key: foods packed with powerful anti-inflammatory compounds such as carotenoids, omega-3 fatty acids and flavonoids. “Eating foods with these nutrients calms cellular inflammation instantly, which allows the brain to respond to leptin,” says Dr. Galland. Indeed, studies at the Foundation for Integrated Medicine suggest that an anti-inflammatory diet triggers an 86 percent reduction in cellular inflammation, reversing leptin resistance and allowing women to effortlessly shed up to 14 pounds in just two weeks.

Foods that soothe swollen cells:
Carrots: Snacking on ½ cup carrots daily fuels the body with carotenoids. These natural antioxidants calm cellular inflammation and dampen leptin resistance, helping women shed up to 13 pounds each year. For best absorption, carotenoid-rich foods should be consumed with a little healthy fat, such as virgin olive oil or walnut oil.

Flax: Extensive research at the Mayo Clinic and elsewhere proves that flax is the richest plant source of inflammation-soothing omega-3 fatty acids. What’s more, flax is nature’s number one source of lignans, unique plant compounds that can double the speed at which the liver metabolizes and excretes inflammation-triggering fat and toxins. The study-proven dose: 1 to 2 Tbs. of ground flax daily.

Tea: Sipping three cups of tea daily can help reverse leptin resistance, boosting metabolic rate by 10 percent and dampening appetite by 35 percent. The credit goes to catechin polyphenols and flavonoids, anti-inflammatory compounds that are 200 times more powerful than even vitamin E at soothing cellular inflammation, according to laboratory studies at Boston’s Tufts University and elsewhere.

Super- Slimming Tea!
Adding this infusion can quadruple the anti-inflammatory power of your favorite green tea! The secret: spices proven to soothe cells.
To make three servings:
1) Place 2 green tea bags and 10 whole cloves in 3 cups hot water.
2) Steep for 3 minutes before removing tea bags and cloves.
3) Add ¼ tsp. each cinnamon and cardamom and mix well.. Enjoy!

Lucy’s Notes: I have been drinking this tea and it does give me more energy. I ordered my spices thru San Francisco Herb Co. If you do not want to pay grocery store prices, they are the place to shop. I have been buying spices from them for years.

I’ll be out of town Friday thru Sunday for some business meetings, so if I don’t come visit your blogs, you will know why….Have a great weekend!

13 Comments:

At 3:46 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

That's it, i am eating carrots everyday!

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to look into this. thank you for the information.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger JM said...

I used slimming tea once. It cleared my pipes faster than you can spell tea. And it really did me some good. I felt better and I actually lost weight.
I should drink it again. I actually stopped drinking tea and coffee because I whiten my teeth and I am afraid to stain them again.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

You know, one of the things I have started doing in an effort to lose weight was drinking more liquids. Mostly iced tea since water gets so boring. I wonder if that has helped me?

Very interesting!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I have those green tea fat burner tablets, and they do not do anything, at least visably that i can see.

Maybe the tea has a more slimming effect.

Thanks for the recipe

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Thanks Lucy... I could use the help in this area.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep sounds interesting.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I got that tip about carrots from my sister. They're a great snack, and it helps my diet.

I hope you make it home in time for the Super Bowl!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your meetings!

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

We switched recently to olive, canola and walnut oils. I use the walnut oil in baking. I bought a bag of flaxseed meal and am trying to find ways to get it into our food. I guess it can be subbed for butter/oil/marg in baking. I can't stomach green tea; I force mysef to drink it. Thanks for the tip!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Should I quit the Starbursts and go for carrots? Even the orange ones?

:) I loooove carrots.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Joy said...

I drink herbal tea (1 or 2 16 oz cups) daily. it helps my sinuses, and i just feel better when i do it. Not to mention as an asthmatic, its a necessity when i'm getting or getting over a cold.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

how about a recipe for flax? that would help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home