Saturday, July 08, 2006

Things work out in the Lord’s time….

As many of you know, I have been helping my friend Felicia prepare to move. First we worked on packing the things she would be taking with her. Next we sorted thru items that would be tossed or given away. We rented a U-Haul and delivered some furniture to people who were getting it. We took tons of stuff to the Salvation Army and we just gave away many things. After that we had to clean the inside of the house and shampoo carpets. We found out that the house needed to be leveled before they could put it up for sale. That has been done and now we are working on the outside. We started all of this in January and it has taken us this long to get this far. Her son is anxious to sell the house and get her moved up to Maryland to be close to him. He is worried that we are taking too long to get all of the work done. I don’t think he realizes all the work that has been done. The outside of the house needs some siding replaced, work done on the chimney and a little bit of painting. Green mossy stuff is growing on the backside of her house and it needs to be pressure washed.

We have been looking for the right person to handle this job. Last week I found out that a friend of ours from church is an all around handy man. I talked to his wife and she sent him, and his oldest son, over to take a look at the house. He walked all around the house and I showed him things that needed to be done. (His oldest son is leaving for the military academy next Monday and they were glad to get the work so that his son would have some money to take to school with him.) I know that this man was heaven sent because of the way it worked out. We went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased all the materials needed for the job and he and his son, along with two other sons, came over and started the work. Today when I stopped by the house, I found the family over there just working away. The dad was doing the power washing and the boys were replacing the damaged siding. It turns out that the dad does landscaping on the side and that is his specialty. He is going to prune and trim in the front and back yard and really spruce up the place. The amazing part of this whole thing is that they took some patio furniture and a few other things as partial payment. They are not charging a lot for the work and they are doing a great job. Like, I said, they were Heaven sent. Once all of this is done, I see no reason why the house shouldn’t sell. I know it has taken six months to get all of this done, but things happen in the Lords time.

Let me tell you a little bit about this family. The father has a master’s degree in education and he teaches school during the school year. During the summer he does odd jobs and landscaping. The mother is working on her Ph d. They have nine children and they are an amazing family. I am in total awe of their abilities.

On a different note:

We had a great 4th of July. We got rained out of our fireworks display, but we enjoyed the breakfast and program at the church. I made the Southwest Breakfast casserole, basically because it was the easiest. You put it together the night before, in the crock pot, and let it cook overnight. It turned out great. I took a long nap in the afternoon and then TF and I watch “Dandy Doodle Dandy” with James Cagney. It is the story of George M. Cohan, the writer of many of our patriotic songs. Later in the day, I cooked some barbequed chicken and sausage and took it over to my daughters for dinner. We had a great time but left before the fireworks. It was raining and I didn’t want to stand out in the rain and get sick. TF and I came home and crashed.

Tomorrow TF and I are going to an Astros game at Minute Maid park. We are playing the Cardinals and Roger, the rocket, Clements is pitching. It should be a great game. I will be missing my first ham radio class because it conflicts with the game. Oh well…

Have a great weekend!

12 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hello Lucy ~~ Thanks for your comments. I am glad you liked the Words
to Actions etc. I first saw it when I had a Mammogram last year, but have seen
a few different versions since.
You are good to be helping your friend
to move, as it is a big job. Glad you found someone to do the work that was
needed to be done. Take care, Merle.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I ber your casserole was a huge hit! Yummm :o)
Glad you had a super 4th.
The family from church sound very inspiring :o)
Enjoy your weekend!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

My guess is that when you write blogs in the middle of the night after having put in a full day, you might have fun spelling Yankee Doodle Dandy. That's a hoot. LOL

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

Fireworks went off as scheduled in Clear Lake. You should have come down here.

Enjoy the baseball game!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Just thought I'd leave a note that I was here...

Isn't it great to find folks who take pride in their work!?!

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

Hi! --Regarding your comment in my blog about the recipe for bread pudding.

You wanted more info on the vanilla. No bean, vanilla extract (the liquid)

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

You are such a good person, with a big heart, I can see, someone who is there for others.

Have fun at the Astro game!

I cannot imagine any dish you making turning out badly!

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOur right good things take time. Things happen for a good reason is we are patient enough to wait.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Sounds like you had a nice Fourth. To answer your blog comment, our annual camping trip includes my family of four and my wife's sister and their family of four. So it's wives, husbands and four boys altogether (no enforcer or grandparents). But we were joined by two of their girlfriends this year. Change is inevitable, right?

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

How wonderful it is to find exactly the right person to help you with a project like that. I feel the same way whenever I find a good mechanic, for instance, or a good repairman, etc... only in this case, it was just a freind willing to help out for little or no compensation, which is so neat. People save other people a lot of trouble when they're just a little more generous than they need to be, don't they?

Have fun at your game.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger N.F. said...

Thank you for saying hi!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Glad you had a nice 4th, Lucy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home