Friday, September 16, 2005

Is Fall coming? I found muffin recipes....

I saw these muffin recipes on the Real Food For Real People site this morning and started thinking about fall. I wish we would get a cold front. Just cool enough to have 70 degree weather during the day. I am READY for fall. Take a look at these recipes and give them a try.

Caryn says: A while ago there was an urban legend going about that was about Jordan Marsh Blueberry muffins. It was Just that, a legend. I grew up just north of Boston where the famous muffins came from. The Muffins hold some great memories of my Aunt Janice and some trips to Jordan's basement on the T. I don't know if this is really the recipe, but boy, it comes so close I can smell the subway! And they taste best if you don't use muffin papers but grease the pan with shortening. Makes them crispy. Recipe by: Caryn Quaker (RFFRP)

Jordan Marsh Blueberry MuffinsRecipe By : Jordan Marsh Stores
Serving Size : 12 Measure Ingredient --
Preparation Method
1/2 cup butter -- softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 c blueberries
sugar

Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large mixing bowl: cream butter, sugar & eggs. Sift dry ingredients together & add alternately with milk & vanilla to the creamedmixture. Fold berries into the batter & spoon into greased muffin pan. Sprinkle with sugar and bake 30 minutes.NOTE : Leave the muffins in the muffin tin 3-5 minutes after baking & they'll be easier to remove from the pan.These next two recipes were submitted by: Cariad (RFFRP)

Cranberry Orange Muffins
1 ½ - cups all purpose flour
2 tsps - baking powder
1/2 tsp - salt
3 Tbsps - sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp - prune puree
1/2 cup - milk
2 Tbsp - butter or margarine
1 cup - cranberries
1 Tbsp - orange zest
Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Stir flour to aerate. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. In another bowl, combine egg, prune puree, milk and butter; add to flour mixture and stir until flour is almost dampened. Stir in cranberries and orange zest, and spoon batter into cups. Bake, 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Makes: 12 servingsThese are yummy and very moisty.

Best Ever Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
2-1/2 cups - all-purpose flour
2-1/2 tsps - baking powder
1 cup - sugar
1/4 tsp - salt
1 cup - buttermilk (*)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup - butter, melted
1-1/2 cups - blueberries, rinsed & drained (or frozen, unrinsed)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin tins well. Sift dry ingredients together into large bowl. Make a well; add buttermilk, eggs and butter. Mix well. Fold in blueberries. Fill well-greased muffin tins 1/2 full and bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 2 dozen muffins. (*) If you don't have buttermilk on hand, place 1 Tbsp vinegar in a measuring cup and add milk to make 1 cup. Let stand for a few minutes. If you're using frozen berries, be sure to add them in their frozen state so they don't bleed into the batter.

14 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Thanks, Lucy! I am looking for some good muffin recipes!

I was thinking of doing a post on recipes, and now, from your post, it seems to be a good idea.

Have a good weekend.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

YUM! I want to try them all!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Melody said...

I am a recipe collector...now if I could just become a COOK!

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE blueberry muffins, they are my absolute favorite!!!!!!!!!
i'll be trying this recipe, never heard of jordan marsh?

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Bonfire said...

it is starting to become fall in ill. i wore my jacket tonight and noticed that the leaves are starting to change colors. :) yeah... 6 more days of this and then i'm back to a blistering summer in texas!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Hoots Musings said...

I printed these recipes up.
I only use whole wheat flour, so I will adapt and see how they turn out. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

I would have never thought about not using the paper cups.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

I love to try new recipes and these look really yummy! I can't wait to try the blueberry ones.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Fred said...

You're going to make a cook/baker/chef out of me yet!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger PBS said...

Yum, muffins! I like them crispy on the outside better too, plus they seem to hold together better. They all sound so good, especially the cranberry orange ones which I may try soon. Our weather has been warm again lately but the leaves are turning.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I love muffins, so I better not make any. I am trying to lose right now and I know me. I can just imagine getting them hot and fresh out of the oven and smearing butter all over them, and that would be the last you would ever see of it. lol!

thanks for the recipes, I will print them anyway in case I go on a binge.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Hoots Musings said...

I made the blueberry muffins with whole wheat and honey. Oh man were they GOOD!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Hoots musings, Glad to hear a good report. How much whole wheat did you use? I just ground some wheat a couple of days ago.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

My friend Maggie in Georgia hooked me up with Blueberry. I can't believe I had never ate them before. Thanks Lucy, I am going to try these, because I love to bake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home