Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I have a new “toy”

Several weeks ago I saw an ad in the Home Depot flyer of our newspaper. They had an emergency TV/Weather Radio/AM-FM radio/Lantern called the Stormtracker advertised for $ 49.00. I knew I wanted to go get one but I went in later in the week and they had already sold out. I looked on Ebay and found a brand new one for a similar price. With shipping and handling I would come out the same as if I had purchased it at Home Depot. It came in last Friday and I am thriller with it. I have been preparing for hurricane season all this year and this is just one more item to add to our preparedness items. WOW! This stormtracker is awesome. You have four power sources: 1) 9 C-cell batteries 2) Wall plug 3) car adaptor and 4) a hand crank which will work with the radio and Led light on the back. It has NiCad recharcable batteries inside the radio which works this feature. This is perfect for any weather related emergency. Go take a look at it at the Home Depot webpage at: www.homedepot.com Put the word Stormtracker in the search box and it will come up.

Check out this recipe from the chet day webpage.
Marvelous Mexicali Rice

1 can (15 1/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups brown rice
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
6 Tbs fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
1 1/2 Tbs ground cumin
1 Tbs chili powder
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp salt

In your crockpot, mix together the corn, black beans, green chilies, onion, bell pepper, rice, boiling water, orange juice concentrate, 1/4 cup of the lime juice, the cumin, and the chili powder. Cover and cook on the low heat setting 2 3/4 to 3 hours. Stir in the remaining 2 Tbs lime juice, the cilantro, and salt. Mix well. Serve hot.

11 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Did you evacuate for Rita? We did. It really sucked.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger keesh said...

just knowing need/want one of those things freaks me out bigtime. I think I am glad I live in Michigan when i read those things, but then come December when we have snow, I will be like "i want to move south." I hope it makes you feel safer and glad you are enjoying it :)

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I always look forward to your reciepes, they're always delicous :o)

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ It sounds as though you are prepared for any storms. I hope they do not eventuate. The recipe sounds nice,
so I an to try it. Thanks for your visit and comment. Take care, Merle.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Fred said...

I don't know if we have that same model, but we have something very similar to it tucked away in our "hurricane cabinet."

I'm up for anything in a crockpot. When I was single, that was the only way I'd cook.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

verra verra nice-- and vegitarian too! Thumbs up.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Leslie, TF stayed and I left with two older women and we went to San Antonio. My daughter had some friends there who took us in. You pretty well have to evacuate with living as close to the coast as you do. A cat. 3 or highter could whip out your area if it took a direct hit.

Kish - I have lived in Houston my whole life and I really can't imagine living anywhere else.

michelle - I only post the recipes that I think are really good. I'm glad you like them.

merle - I'm still working on being ready for the "big" one, should it come. Thanks for coming by.

Fred - I am glad that you are prepared too. Your "hurricane cabinet" sounds interesting. And I love cooking in my crockpot.

nosurfgirl - I hope you like it.

mountain mama - I love my stormtracker and you are right, I hope I don't need to "depend" on it for that reason.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

YUM!! that recipe sounds delicious, I will have to try it out.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds yummy

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Home Depot corrected my "stormtracker" search to "storm tracker" but it looked the same as you described. Purty neat, I'd say.

But you've inspired a rant here. (I'm in the mood for a rant anyway).

The local cable TV used to carry the local NOAA weather service. It was great. You had live weather, warnings and radar 24/7. So what happens? The bozos cancel it and put on "The Weather Channel" instead.

The "Weather Channel" is the worst waste of cable I've ever seen. The local weather flashes briefly every ten minutes. The rest of their air-time is fluff and commercials. Cable TV really insulted their viewers in our community with this bait and switch.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger keesh said...

I think that is the way it is for everyone. you adapt to where you live, no matter what mother nature may bring you and you enjoy it because it is a part of you. i love Michigan, even though in the winter I always say I hate it. But I really do love it, being so close the the lake is wonderful!! I hear Texas has some beautiful sunsets. I have never been down there yet. But hubby promises we will go to San Antonio one day to see that amazing sunset...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home